From North Padre Island to Mustang Island


[Don't confuse NORTH Padre Island with South Padre Island which is about 200 miles southwest of us]

Once again, many birds were spotted. My first stop was off the 'beaten path', taking an exit ramp to a pier on Humble Channel. There, early in the morning, I spotted 100s of Readhead Ducks, Scaups, gulls, grackles, egrets, herons and a couple of Bufflehead ducks that dived below the water surface to not be found again. I then took off toward Port Aransas, spying five ospreys along the power lines before taking the turn off North Padre Island to Mustang Island. I made several stops along the park highway since so many birds were also perched on the power lines/poles. The usual 30 minute drive took nearly an hour. At Port Aransas, I spent most of my time photographing and watching the sea of white [massive numbers of pelicans and egrets] and a resident alligator, known as Boots! I got 'up close and personal' with him if you'd like to see what I saw through my lens, zooming in on him as he snoozed in the shallow water under the warm sun. Took several close up photos of him too, very reptilian detail I might add. LOL[kidding]


BLACK NECKED STILT
photo taken:  Port Aransas
habitat map:  Stilt
length 14-15 inches
wingspan 26 inches


GREAT EGRET
photos taken in series:  Port Aransas
habitat map:  Egret
length 37-41 inches
wingspan 56 inches


NORTHERN SHOVELER
photo taken:  Humble Channel
habitat map:  Shoveler
length 17-20 inches
wingspan 27-33 inches


SNOWY EGRET
photo taken:  Port Aransas
habitat map:  Egret
length 22-26 inches
wingspan 46 inches


GREATER YELLOWLEGS/Lesser [this has a long beak, so greater?]
photo taken:  Port Aransas
habitat map:  Yellowlegs
length [Greater] 14 inches
wingspan [Greater] 25 inches


LESSER SCAUP [this species has a rounded head, Greater Scaup is more flat]
photos taken:  Humble Channel
habitat map:  Scaup
length 16-18 inches
wingspan 24-32 inches


REDHEAD DUCK
photo taken:  Humble Channel
habitat map:  Redhead
length 19 inches
wingspan 32 inches


BELTED KINGFISHER
photo taken:  Mustang Island
habitat map:  Kingfisher
length 12-14 inches
wingspan 22-26 inches


AMERICAN KESTREL
photo taken:  Mustang Island
habitat map:  Kestrel
length 10 inches
wingspan 22 inches


PEREGRINE FALCON
photo taken:  Mustang Island
habitat map:  Falcon
length 16-20 inches
wingspan 40-48 inches

Lastly:  I'd like to take this time to wish all who observe the holiday, a very MERRY CHRISTMAS from Bud and me.  May your day be merry and bright.


Those that participated are:
Christina, Sweden
Shiju Sugunan
Birds seen in Europe and Africa
Linda, Virginia, USA
Rosyfinch Ramblings
It's All About Purple 
Lea's Menagerie 
David Gascoigne 
Phil UK 
Sallie (FullTime-Life)


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:





11 comments:

  1. I am *so* glad to be back posting. Loving all your birds as always and could Boots actually be the same gator who was there when we stayed at NORTH Padre Island? I would never dream of confusing the two.... the one you and I know and love is the best of the two Padres by far ... and one of the best birding places in the world, as your photos prove every week! Thanks for all you do and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great series of images. Anywhere that water and land come together is a wonderful spot to find birds. The Great Egret series is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you must have mentioned to the egret that you were taking pictures, the series is AMAZING!!! i love winter, i see some of those other ducks as well!!

    the kingfisher still eludes me, one day...it will happen for me!!

    many thanks for the holiday wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots! I wish you a lovely Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those stilts and their reflections. Have only seen a Peregrine twice locally, though they are more common along the coast.So far never a Redhead. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think those power lines alone would have kept me occupied, without all the other spots you found. A great set of species today Anni - I tool a look at Boots too. He looks quite friendly, letting you get so close - LoL.

    I want to thank you for the past year in providing a link to us birding devotees to share our pictures, words and experiences. Have wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not seen a red head duck, really beautiful. the photos of the fish eating egret are AMAZING. I left a message from Ruth H on another post, she can't get her comments to go through. she wanted you to know she is trying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my another treasure trove of shots...you really got some great ones here. Love the Egret series...but then I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all these photos but the Perigrine is my dream bird. I worked for a vet in Rhodesia many years ago who had a licence for falconry, the peregrine wormed its way into my heart. It was the dream bird to work with.
    Have a very Happy Christmas and all the very best for 2020. Diane
    Thanks for the comment on my other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots as always. Wishing you a wonderful holiday season.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents