I was mesmerized watching this heron and his morning catch, an eel. All the while, an immature Black Crowned Night Heron also paid a bit of attention to it now and then. The Heron finally lost the eel, and went back into the water and caught something closer to a size that he could conquer more easily...








GREAT BLUE HERON
photos taken: Leonabelle Refuge
habitat map: Heron
length: 48 inches
wingspan: 80 inches
American Eel in Texas
...as this was taking place, after the sun broke the horizon to the back of me, the mudflats about a half mile away revealed two of the continuing wintering Whooping Cranes. This is nice...I don't have to drive 60 miles one way in hopes of seeing them on Goose Island, and then not find any when I arrive. Awesome.




WHOOPING CRANE
photos taken: Port Aransas, Mustang Island
habitat map: Crane
length: 50 inches
wingspan: 85 inches
Those Participating this week:
Linda, Virginia, USA
Early Birder
Rosyfinch Ramblings
Christina, Sweden
Travels with Birds
Arun, Jaipur, India
Birds Seen in Europe and Africa
Eileen
Lavender Dreams
Lea's Menagerie
Phil UK

The Herons are so neat to watch! The immature black crowned is a beauty! They are so hard to spot! Enjoy your weekend! Thanks for the party!
ReplyDeleteDespite the elegant Cranes, my favorite is the awesome trio above! Fascinating seeing the Heron and Eel! Making it even better is the Night Heron, one of my favorites! They are so very secretive around here. I just love them. GREAT pictures!
ReplyDeleteHello, I think that eel is big enough for both herons to share. Great captures. The Whooping Crane sighting is awesome, great photos. Thanks for hosting. I hope your day is great, happy weekend.
ReplyDeleteAmazing photos of the heron and the eel, the night heron is stunning. Thanks for hosting. Have a good Sunday. Diane
ReplyDeleteGreat Blue Herons never cease to amaze me with the size of prey they can handle, so I am a little surprised it dropped the eel.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos!
ReplyDeleteHope you are having a wonderful weekend!
Fabulous shots of Eel and Heron Anni.
ReplyDeleteIt's not so often I see herons give up on prey. That was some whopper there but the second catch looks much more manageable. Herons often seem to catch at will where there's lot of fish so I don't suppose it's a big deal to let one go. Better that than have indigestion?
ReplyDeleteCheers for the link today Anni.
The heron had to settler for just an appetizer! You captured some great action here. It was great that you found the Whooping Cranes so close by. We had two stray into our neighborhood. They were captive-bred in Wisconsin and released freely to go south with the Sandhill Cranes, but they strayed into south Florida.
ReplyDeleteYou see the most amazing things! But then you get yourself out there where the action is! I ALWAYS love your photos!
ReplyDeletethat is an awesome catch for the heron and even more awesome capture of it.. I love the photo of the smaller sized catch.. wow on your birding day
ReplyDeleteThat is a great series of the Great Blue Heron...and lovely that you got to photograph the Whooping Cranes!
ReplyDeleteLove the whooping cranes and the heron The eel does not appeal, or should I say ap-eel?
ReplyDeleteLovely clicks
ReplyDeletethat eel is really something. looks like the little green heron is jealous of the big heron and the big eel.. bob says he ate eel once, but not again
ReplyDeleteYour Affiliate Money Making Machine is ready -
ReplyDeletePlus, getting it set up is as easy as 1..2..3!
Follow the steps below to make money...
STEP 1. Choose affiliate products you want to promote
STEP 2. Add some push button traffic (it LITERALLY takes 2 minutes)
STEP 3. Watch the system grow your list and up-sell your affiliate products all on it's own!
So, do you want to start making money???
Click here to make money with the system