the Call of the Wild....


We are now under "house arrest" here in Corpus Christi, some areas are closed for safety precautions of the virus. Our county now has ten reported cases, and they are in quarantine...nine of the ten are travel related Tsk, tsk. If people would just stay close to home and use the distance safety tips, it'd help with the pandemic. The good thing about birding is you don't have to be out in the open; in crowds...in fact, drive by birding is an acceptable pastime these days.  Much better than resorting to cleaning house!!


The first bird I am sharing, I can't help it...I think they're pretty and they have a wonderful, soft, soothing song.  Even if they're 'the impalers'...they are one of nature's wonders.  Of course, each of the species of birds is, in my opinion.   Except for the vultures, but they serve their purpose on earth, so you still have to appreciate them.   It's the individual features of each bird [and their survival capability] that never ceases to astound me.


LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE
photo taken:  South Bay Park
habitat map:  Shrike
length:  9 inches
wingspan:  13 inches



At the hightower for observation [click here for tower photo], the black vultures were gathered in large groups [called committee], and singly spotted here and there in the undergrowth....



BLACK VULTURES
photos taken:  Aransas National Wildlife Refuge
note:  this refuge along the coastal bend is nearly 120,000 acres with hundreds of species of birds/wildlife
habitat map:  Vulture
length:  25 inches
wingspan:  60 inches



I am thrilled to capture this with its 'hood ornament' exposed!


HOODED MERGANSER
photo taken:  Bazemore Park
habitat map:  Merganser
length:  18 inches
wingspan:  25  inches



Another bird that gets a bum wrap like the shrike [for different reasons] is the American Coot.  Again, I marvel at its adaptability to conquer the different terrains along the ponds' edge and walk through quagmire without loosing its footing...


AMERICAN COOT
photo taken:  Caribbean Drive [Flour Bluff, Texas]
habitat map:  Coot
length:  15 inches
wingspan:  25 inches



This bird is quite easily identified...it is aptly named ...


NORTHERN PINTAIL DUCK
photo taken:  Indian Point Park
habitat map:  Pintail
length:  20-26 inches
wingspan:  28-36 inches



When I spotted this hawk, I was in awe of its beautiful plumage!  Such wonderful colors and pattern.  And for a few minutes it posed for me before flying off.  I was on foot, and just under by a marginal few feet from its perch...


RED SHOULDERED  HAWK
photos taken:  Lakeview Park
habitat map:  Hawk
length:  17-22 inches
wingspan:  32-45 inches




For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:

Participating this week:

Little Wandering Wren
Rosyfinch Ramblings
Lintuilua-Birding
Linda, Virginia, USA
The Early Birder
Lavender Dreams
Phil UK 
Lea's Menagerie
Tomthebackroadstraveler
Sallie 
Birds Seen in Europe and Africa
Eileen
Wren Nest Building
Traveling With Birds




20 comments:

  1. nice compilation! Red shoulder hawk looks regal and handsome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful birds today! I especially love the Merganser and the Coot. The Coots have amazing feet! The hawk photos are stunning, he is the most colorful hawk I have seen! I have never ever spotted a real Shrike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birding from a car is an under-utilized activity. A vehicle acts as a very effective blind, and while I am an enthusiastic advocate of getting out and about, given the restrictions on movement now in place, staying in the vehicle is a great option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the hoot, Anni.... "drive by birding...better than cleaning house"!!! No truer words, my friend. *LOL* Stay safe & well. Love, Andrea XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anni, I missed this post, linking up late. Great collection of birds and photos.
    I have always enjoyed seeing the Black Vultures. The Shrike is cool and I love the hawk.
    Thanks for hosting and for visiting my blog and linking up! Stay safe! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are under total lockdown so we can only take photos at home. If we go out for any reason, food, chemist, bank we have to have a permit with date and time of leaving the house. Heavy fines if we do not get it right. As you can see from my blog though, suddenly being in lockdown has become a whole lot more interesting. Stay safe Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. It feels good to get out for a drive even if you can't get out and walk. Our trails are just about empty so I'm glad we can still walk in the forest. We saw one other person walking their two dogs this morning....and they were quite a distance away. I love that Hooded Merganser! What a unique bird THAT is! The Hawk sure has beautiful colors! Stay safe this week my friend! And thanks for the party! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, wonderful photos! I've been house bound for 3 weeks now, so your pictures are a welcome sight of nature. I see and hear the normal birds around here. Always a treat hearing the first birdsong each morning. Enjoy this down time. ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my goodness, Anni....you sure have a treasure trove of photos today. The hawk shots are superb...The American Coot's feet always amaze me. Have I told you about being in CA with my daughter and granddaughter, visiting my other daughter...her condo had a pond that had turtles, and coots, and I forget what all. Well, Sarah stopped and got some food for Lorelei to give the coots. From then on, any time this one coot heard Lorelei's voice it swam along the edge following us around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome looking hawk! Glad you are staying safe. We're trying. It is difficult because I have not yet been to a grocery store that wasn't out of several things I wanted, so within a few days I have to make another grocery run. Frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Anni.
    The hawk photos are fantastic. It is very beautiful hawk.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You seem to have a little more freedom than us Anni. Even drive-by birding is not allowed. Essential travel only for food and pharmacy. Still, I'm optimistic we'll soon be out of this nightmare. Looking on the bright side, the birds will have a great breeding season with man's interference, intentional or otherwise.

    Those are stunning shots of the hawk. Stay safe and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am late to the party this morning. Every day seems the same from within four walls. Beautiful images-- I especially like the Red-shouldered hawk. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would not go up on that tower, no no no… the black vultures are new to me, and I think they are much prettier than ours here. vultures fascinate me.. our hawk couple has moved away, no sighting of them for a couple of weeks. now we have the soft calling of the doves and the owls are back, black birds and jays, no cardinals ..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think we're all finding that birding is the perfect hobby for days times - thanks for hosting!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not a birder, but I do enjoy seeing and hearing birds around where I live. We have Common Mergansers at our cabin. I love to watch them pass by with babies on their back and a train of them floating behind. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I’m looking forward to some drive by birding when we get home to Oregon. And (hopefull) we may even be able to walk a bit. I appreciate what you say about all the different bird species being fascinating .... I even like Vultures because they do their job and it’s a necessary one. I have a little trouble loving starlings and grackles, but even the latter can be beautiful when you see them out in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely series of bird photos. I have never seen a shrike before but know of them, and coincidentally they came up in a conversation my husband and I were having. I told him all about its hunting habits. He seemed surprised I knew about them, so was I :) I guess I am picking up a few things visiting bird blogs, including yours, so thank you Anni. My husband is impressed with my bird knowledge now, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry but i can't subscribe my blog in the table ... "Mister Linky" dont love me! :(

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents