They've Left...


Once again, after all these years of birding, I feel a bit saddened that our Whoopers have left our area for their summer home. The few months we have them here in Coastal Texas, I think they're part of our world, even tho I know it's only temporary. This week, on our local news [the news anchors actually broke into the coronavirus coverage!] informed us with a small snippet telling us it's time to say goodbye 'til next year. This post is dedicated to the Whooping Crane. Bud and I know of two nearby areas we can usually find them on any given day. One area just 25 miles from home, the other area about 40 miles from Corpus Christi. We don't have to drive the long distance of 150 miles to ANWR near Austwell, Texas, thanks to other birders letting us know of close-by niches they use for the winter season...

This first group, there is usually two cranes. But there have been reports of three in one day. This is the third year they've re-established their territory in late fall thru March...


photos taken: Leonabelle Refuge Port Aransas


then...another day just recently, we had to make a return trip to the other area to see them -there are, at times, the rusty feathered young ones, but not on this day- one more time for this year:


photos taken: Goose Island State Park, Lamar Texas

WHOOPING CRANES

habitat map: Crane
length: 50 inches
wingspan: 85 inches

I bid them a safe journey and hope to see 'em all next year.


this image, the cranes' spring migration from Coastal Texas, is borrowed from Google Images


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:


Those that participated are:
A Quiet Corner
Lea's Menagerie [Mockingbird]
The Early Birder
Lintuilua-Birding
Linda, Virginia, USA
Sallie [Full Time Life]
Mary Howell Cromer
Traveling With Birds [doesn't follow rules of hyperlink]
Birds Seen  in Europe and Africa
Rosyfinch Ramblings
Lavender Dreams
Eileen
Crafty Gardener
Lea's Menagerie [Eagle]
Phil UK


20 comments:

  1. Love the pictures, Anni. Wish I had pictures to share, but most would just be backyard birds. I did go to an Audubon workshop on Hog Island, Maine when I was in the Audubon Society years ago. That was a fabulous experience! Coastal Texas and coastal Louisiana are such great birding areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Backyard birds are as important as ALL birds!

      Delete
  2. Oh Anni, how beautiful... and yet how sad your "whoopers" have moved on. Never fear! They have taken a piece of your heart with them, for safe keeping, and will be more than happy to return, to give it back once again. Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad for you they left, but happy for someone else they are arriving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, the Whooping Crane are a wonderful sighting. It is nice to see them doing well and are heading back to their breeding ground. Great photos. Thanks for hosting. Take care and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are SO beautiful! We've had friends drive over just West of here to see them but we've never been lucky to be at the right place at the right time. Love your photos! We got out for a hike today but it was VERY quiet on the trail! We only saw 2 people at the trailhead, just looking at the map. Take care of yourself and stay safe! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS Thanks for the map! I love maps....shared it with my hubby too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I will never forget seeing them at Aransas Pass from the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful pictures! They seem to be kind of assign of hope to me. I would never had known they have all that black on their wings, but thanks to your one photo, I see it now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful birds and great photos. Thanks Anni for this post and for hosting. Stay safe Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of all the birds that I have been fortunate to see around the world none are more spectacular than Whooping Cranes, of which I have very fond memories. They will soon be back at their breeding grounds in northern Alberta.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heading home again, which ever direction they are heading...it's always sad to see any of them go. We have had in my county a traveler Rufous Hummingbird that arrived last October from Alaska and left this past Monday. We have also had in a nearby town where I grew up a visiting Western Tanager and he also left this week. Isn't it absolutely amazing how they know when it's time. Sad for us, but they must get back to doing what they must to ensure more of their species in the future. Please take good care of yourself. Blessings coming~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so blessed...you got some great shots. They are so beautiful. We used to have three that passed through here...I would see them out at the strip pits but I am never out there enough to catch them the past few years. I think they only stay out there a day or two. But think they stay longer down at at Goose Pond which is an hour from here, and Roger does not feel like going most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whooping cranes must be spectacular to watch. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos! I have never seen them, but I sure would like to!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's rater sad when winter visitors leave I know. Our winter swans have all left now so I like to think of them going somewhere with a good long summer where they will have a very successful breeding season. And then of course it is very gratifying to see those youngsters in their new plumage come autumn time. Stay safe and well Anni and Bud. And thanks for the link up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can see why you love them and miss them when they leave. They are beautiful and proud birds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. they are beautiful, look a lot like our sand hill cranes. we have 24 hour local news channel here, the only news they show is virus. we have no idea what is going on other than the virus. bob saw scrolling across bottom of CNN virus coverage that fort myers had a car rental place that all 35 rental cars burned.. just that one sentence. I wish they would fit a little news in

    ReplyDelete
  18. The only time we’ve ever seen the Whoopers was near where you live ....a never to be forgotten day! Thanks for hosting and keep on birding and posting when you can and of course most of all stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't believe I have ever seen one in person however using your photos, they are soooooo exquisite!!...:)jp

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents