Once again, a drive to the ranch land for photo ops as I practice 'staying inside the car' on drive by shootings [through the lens of course]. These birds were spotted as I took different county roads -34,000 acres (138 km)- a few miles from home one afternoon this week. You could drive from sun up to sun down on this ranch land and still not cover it all...Chapman's Ranch....



COOPER'S HAWK
habitat map: Hawk
Length: 15-20 inches
Wingspan: 28-34 inches


UPLAND SANDPIPER
habitat map: Sandpiper
Length: 12 inches
Wingspan: 18-20 inches

WHITE TAILED HAWK
habitat map: Hawk
Length: 20 inches
Wingspan: 50 inches

LARK SPARROW
habitat map: Sparrow
Length: 6.5 inches
Wingspan: 11 inches


MEADOWLARK
habitat map: Lark
Length: 10 inches
Wingspan: 14-16 inches

LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE
habitat map: Shrike
Length: 9 inches
Wingspan: 13 inches
If you're curious, we are allowed to get out of the house; walking in parks and natural refuges as long as we keep our 6-10 foot "social distancing" of each other. So many states have the stay at home ordinance/laws enforced during these trying times, everywhere but grocery stores and doctors. Here, in Texas, the government officials see that walking in parks [exercise and fresh air] is safer than in petri-dishes like doctors' offices, stores, and hospitals!!! Thank goodness. Although, I still remain more cautious than before and not go out EVERY day for hours at a time as before the pandemic. Nor do I go to congested city parks...I find the out of populace areas; more remote and less known.

Those participating this week are:
A Quiet Corner
Anu
Birds Seen in Europe and Africa
Jenn Jilks
Linda, Virginia, USA
Travels With Birds [no hyperlink]
Tomthebackroadstraveler
NatureFootstep PhotoArt
Eileen
Ella
Jean@SoNotOrganized
Not Afraid of Color
Phil UK
The Early Birder
Rosyfinch Ramblings
Lavender Dreams
DeniseVA
Lea's Menagerie
Hi Anni, beautiful photos! I love them all but I am drawn to the Meadowlark singing. Thank you for the invite to link up, which I have done. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
ReplyDeleteLove the Meadowlark photos!
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed day!
I'm glad you are able to drive places and look around! We go out less often now but the trail that is still open is empty! We never see more than 2 people in the 2 or 3 hours we are there. But that is the way it always is....we should be happy for a less popular trail I guess! LOVE the Meadowlark and the Shrike! What a beautiful tune the Meadowlark has! Take care this week and stay healthy! Thanks for the party!
ReplyDeleteVery productive drive-by species. I have seen the Upland Sandpiper only once, in South Dakota. Neat bird. Our COVID-19 rules are similar. We walk out on the wetlands and rarely even see another human being. Stay safe!
ReplyDeleteAlways love seeing your variety of birds and great photos! Especially the ones we don't have in this area. We have pretty much the same restrictions, I'm so thankful we can still go outdoors and walk around the parks/woods. Hope you have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteHello, wonderful drive-by sightings. I would like to see the White-tailed Hawk. The Meadowlark is beautiful and one of my favorites. Great photos. Thank for hosting. Have a happy weekend.
ReplyDeleteLook at the feather pattern on this Sandpiper! It is beautiful. And you captured the Meadowlark singing, awesome! The masked bandit is alert for who he can impale next. Beautiful sightings!
ReplyDeleteHi Annie. My favorite images today are the sandpiper and the shrike. Two favorite species.
ReplyDelete"staying" inside the car? OK, if there are a lot of people out there, or if one scares of the wildlife. :)
Wishing you a great week. Staying safe and healthy. :)
...I love the meadow lark!!! Thanks for hosting and take care!
ReplyDeleteI can almost hear that Meadowlark! Such a great shot. Not that the others aren't, but it is just so great.
ReplyDeleteI am starting to wonder whether social distancing will become the new norm. Will we ever let people look through our scope again?
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos, as always! And I think you are wise to get out and be cautious at the same time!
ReplyDeleteI am taking the same approach. Love that sandpiper!
ReplyDeleteYou are a wonderful birder! I love them.
ReplyDeleteYou are lucky that you are allowed out. I am finding the 1 km radius now pretty boring as there is only on loop I can walk and not even the farm lands are growing fast enough to make much difference in view. Take care and stay safe. Diane
ReplyDeleteHooray for sensible rules, sensible officials and sensible people. Sadly we lack the first two but good to see your results today Anni. That sure is some ranch and great birding. Lie they tell us "everything is bigger in the US". Those hawks are rather special but I wish I could hear that meadowlark.
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos.
ReplyDeleteI could not add my link, I have tried many times...
We have red tail hawks here in North Idaho
ReplyDeletethat little meadowlark looks like i feel, screaming out LET ME OUT OF THIS HOUSE. the only thing we could ride and take photos of is parking lots or houses and buildings. have to drive a long way to do drive by photography... even the parks we have to park in huge parking lots and walk to see anything. we are allowed to do the same as you walk for excercise .
ReplyDeleteCooper's Hawks are what we primarily have here on our land in northern-most Indiana. They're beautiful, aren't they? I love your pictures so much, Anni... and it's a special treat that you explain to us what we are seeing. Thank you for that! Love, Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeleteI love your photos of the Coopers and White-Tailed Hawk, Anni!!!...:)jp
ReplyDeleteThe sandpiper has a grandiose feather pattern ...
ReplyDeleteI don't know why, but I'm always attracted to the mean Hawk!
Thank you for hosting, Ann!
thank you for sharing these beauties Living in KS we are no spose to leave (unessential, however I have ventured to the conservation areas. I have spotted Blue Jays, Cardinals, Robins, chickadee, tufted titmouse, and a Red headed woodpecker (red bellied) a couple red squirrels, mama goose, grey squirrels, water turtles and a lizzard
ReplyDelete