Gull, Tanager, Wren, and Woodpecker...


Several weeks ago I was alerted to a rare bird. I did see it on that particular day, but as luck would have it, it stuck around the area for weeks, and I was able to get better, close-up, photos of it. It breeds in the Palearctic, northern Europe, and northwestern North America [not seen in Texas; a vagrant]. The North American subspecies is commonly referred to as the mew gull. I think it's now left for it's not been seen for some time now....



MEW GULL
photos taken:  Port Aransas Birding Refuge
habitat map:  Gull
length:  16-18 inches
wingspan:  42 inches


It's that time of year when a lot of 'couples' are seen together or nearby each other.  In this case, the Golden Fronted Woodpeckers and chattering and busying around preparing to make a family...



GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER
photos taken:  Pollywog Ponds
habitat map:  Woodpecker
length:  9.5 inches
wingspan:  17 inches


One fine Spring day I spotted a wren gathering nesting material.  But, as the weeks progressed, the nesting area was abandoned...


CAROLINA WREN
photos taken:  Bazemore Park
habitat map:  Wren
length:  5.5 inches
wingspan:  7.75 inches

...and last this week is a tanager.  Again, it's that time of year.  Migration into the southern states of America, the feathered feeders are busy replenishing what energy they burned in the flight here...this one stopped to gather nutrients at Packery Channel....


SUMMER TANAGER
photos taken:  Packery Channel Park
habitat map:  Tanager
length:  7.75 inches
wingspan:  12 inches





Always use HYPERLINK
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:


Participating this week:

Quiet Corner
Bird Watching Nana
Travels With Birds [no hyperlink]
Betty Crow
Eileen
Linda aka Crafty Gardener
Anu
Linda, Virginia USA
NatureFootstep PhotoArt
Jean at So Not Organized
Rosyfinch Ramblings
The Early Birder
Ella [no hyperlink]
Phil UK
Lavender Dreams
Lea's Menagerie


24 comments:

  1. It's so exciting to see something like the Gull but also neat to see the other migratory birds. We are seeing quite a few pairs here now and it's fun to get and see what's different from week to week. I wish I was better at spotting the nests. Take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Carolina wren and the Tanager are so beautiful!
    I don't know these birds ... and you surprise me every time with new species!
    Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially love the Tanager. I wonder why the perky wren never occupied the nest. The Mew Gull was a nice find. I did see them in Alaska but I really have trouble separating the species-- not much practice here, 18 miles inland. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These woodpeckers are gorgeous!! I have never heard of this gull, he is rather strange looking. I always love seeing a cute little wren, even though one attacked me once. They are so spunky and feisty! Gorgeous tanager!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a very unique looking gull! And the woodpeckers and tanager are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice finds thank you for sharing love the Tanager and woodpeckers :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute ones all of them.
    We have lots of this gull in Sweden. They are almost impossible ti ID. It takes 3 years for them to adulthood. Your bird is probably what they call, first winter. This is the reason why I decided to give up on trying to ID gulls, they change the plumage and the look, several times as they grow older. I like the adult birds, they are beautiful and quite fun to photograph.
    Take care, stay safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Anni,
    You have a beautiful collection of birds. Some I know and some I don't.
    A Tanager is such a beautiful bird! I have never seen this bird before.
    Stay safe and healthy.
    Greetings from Utah.
    Stay safe and healthy.
    Greetings from Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting gull. I'd love to photograph one of those tanagers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Anni. Wonderful photos. I like most Carolina Wren.
    I could not link my blog. Last week I had same problem...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Over here the Common (Mew) Gull is very migratory too, so I expect yours took off soon after your pictures Anni. The wren seems to be in the throes of breeding and keeping very busy. Saw my first young Blackbird yesterday.

    Not a lot to say about the tanager except of course that those bright red colours are simply amazing. Have a good week ahead Anni. And thanks for the link today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely to see snd get photos of a rare bird. Our wrens aren’t back yet, but I expect them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Anni,
    Wonderful collection of birds this week. I love the cute wren, the woodpeckers and gull. The Summer Tanager is a beauty and my favorite. Thanks for hosting. Have a great day and a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning Anni, I love the woodpecker shots and the wren. So pretty! My favorite is the tanager. They are so brightly colored. I saw one last summer, but it flew before I could document my luck. Hope you are having a wonderful day. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the Mew! Love the wren with nesting material...they have so much energy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't stop smiling at that little red tanager. I have never seen one and he is gorgeous...your photos are as always so beautiful... the pics of the nest builder with his mouth full of nest material looks like a shopper at Home depot

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is always quite wonderful to see birds getting ready for the breeding season. Perhaps it is particularly poignant this year when so many are confined and are unable to share in the joy - although I suspect a little renewal of life is going on in a few homes too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Anni, love to see these birds. And you are right, now spying some in pairs here too. In particular, a pileated woodpecker pair that you really can't miss. What luck to spy that rare bird and get some shots!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are all so gorgeous! I sure wish that wren would come here and stay. I see them here, every now and then an hear them in the neighborhood, but none sticks around.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much, Anni, for sharing not only your pictures but your knowledge with us. It's always a real treat to visit your blog everyday. Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! I'm not sure which one is my favorite, Anni. I think I' going to go with that Woodpecker, which I have never seen and I know how I feel when a Northern Flicker pops in for a visit!!...:)jp

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Anni, these are marvelous photos and I love the variety of your birds. Thank you so much! I have linked from my blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be back to put my link in here later.

      Delete

Table of Contents