In Search Of...


A few days ago I went in search of another vagrant warbler [black throated blue warbler] reported in our county. Never saw it. It was four days since it was reported, so I'm figuring it had left the area for the north. But, I sighted several other migrants along the way. In fact one yard on Sand Dollar Road I stood and viewed several birds coming in to feed on grapes! Here's what I saw [others seen were grackles, catbirds, female indigo buntings, white winged doves, sparrows, an abundance of squirrels and one opossum!]


EURASIAN COLLARED DOVE [a few stay the winter and sexes are similar in appearance]
photos taken:  Sand Dollar Road
habitat map:  dove
length:  12 inches
wingspan:  18-20 inches


SCARLET TANAGER [male]
photos taken:  Sand Dollar Road
habitat map:  tanager
length:  7 inches
wingspan:  11.5 inches


ROSE BREASTED GROSBEAK [female]
photos taken:  Sand Dollar Road
habitat map:  grosbeak
length:  8 inches
wingspan:  12.5 inches


SUMMER TANAGER [female]
photos taken:  Sand Dollar Road
habitat map:  tanager
length:  7:75 inches
wingspan:  12 inches


PROTHONOTARY WARBLER [male]
NOTE: Male and female are similar in color/markings, tho the male tends to be a bit more orange in the yellow [darker than female]. Also note that during mating season, the male's beak is solid black.
photos taken:  Sand Dollar Road
habitat map:  warbler
length:  5.5 inches
wingspan:  8.75 inches





Always use HYPERLINK
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:



Participating this week are:
Tilly the Turkey
Betty Crow
Traveling with  Birds [no hyperlink]
Linda, Virginia, USA
Lavender Dreams
The Early Birder
Birds Seen in Europe and Africa
Christina, Sweden
Linda, aka Crafty Gardener
NatureFootstep PhotoArt
Lea's Menagerie
Ella
Jean@SoNotOrganized
Phil UK
Eileen
Rosyfinch Ramblings

19 comments:

  1. That Scarlet Tanager is stunning! Now you have caused me to have a relapse of Feather Envy with the magnificent Prothonatory Warbler. That is one bird I have never photographed and have only seen a couple of times, years ago in New Jersey. Well, I did see my only Rose-breasted Grosbeak of the spring migration season this past week, but it was a female who did not pose very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I love the tanagers, both the Scarlet and Summer Tanagers are beautiful. The Prothonotary Warbler is gorgeous. Awesome series of photos. Thanks for hosting. Have a Happy Mother's Day and a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep trying to get the tanagers to show up around our backyard! Such pretty birds. And for the second week in a row, we've seen the same bird. Last week the oriole and this week the grosbeak. We should get a prize, I think. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last Warbler is my favorite. You are so good at I.D.ing birds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, the photos are stunning!
    Have a Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tanagers are lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos as always. Thanks so much for hosting. Keep safe Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Anni. The collared dove I have seen. We even have a small population in Sweden. I love the color of the little warbler. It reminded me of a yellow bird I saw in Panama on my way home from Costa Rica.
    Take care, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Hubby and I both talked about all the birds you saw...eating grapes of all things! What a paradise they found and what fun for you! I thought I saw that Prothonotary Warbler one time but it wasn't! lol I still would LOVE to see one! Of course you saw a few birds I've never seen! Very nice! Have a good weekend! Happy Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos! Happy Mothers Day! (Delete the spammer and my comment to him. I just felt a need to say he was a coward for being anonymous.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done. I don't know the purpose of spamming blogs knowing that comments like those are deleted anyway. They're wasting time

      Delete
  11. Beautiful birds!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had not realized that Black-throated Blue Warbler is a rarity where you are. It should be quite common here at this time of year, but I suspect the unseasonably cold weather is keeping them hunkered down, and I have not seen one yet this spring. And what the poor things are finding to eat I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the color red and that makes the scarlet bird my favorite. the macro of the dove is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a little surprised that you con't get Black-throated Blue Warbler Anni. Perhaps they take a more eastern route and miss you out in Texas. I must brush up on my North American geography. Meanwhile to see those tanagers and the superb Prothonatory Warbler must bea welcome compensation. Thanks for the linky today. Have a great one this week and hopefully we are all soon back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love seeing all the colorful birds. You sure found a lot of them. I'm especially fond of the prothonatory warbler. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, my these are beautiful...I have only seen one or two of the Scarlet Tanagers in my life...and none of the PROTHONOTARY WARBLER...I think it is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many lovely captures in this post, Anni. The Ontario amateur birding site I belong to had several members excited to get photos of a prothonotary warbler. I was not familiar till then.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a wonderful blog! The topics you write about are very close to me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    I follow you through GFC! If you want, go to my blog :)

    MY NEW POST: QUARANTINE NUTRITION AND WORK OUT ♥

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents