Behind the Channel and At the Park...


Well, the state of Texas has gone back to keeping people home and requiring masks if going outside the home. The numbers of Covid cases have sky-rocketed in our county [percentage-wise, more cases in our county than three of the most populated areas -Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston]. Parks and other areas where crowds gather will be closed over the holiday. Needless to say, my walking trips have been/and will be shortened, or non-existent. These photos on this post were taken before the mandated changes took place. Either focusing from the car or at the park before others showed up. When the people began to come into the park, I left!



BROWN PELICAN
photos taken:  Port Aransas Ship Channel
habitat map:  Pelican
Length:  50 inches
Wingspan:  82 inches


LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE
photo taken:  West Guth Park
habitat map:  Shrike
Length:  9 inches
Wingspan:  13 inches


CRESTED CARACARA [juvenile]
photo taken:  Carbon Plant Road
habitat map:  Caracara
Length:  22-24 inches
Wingspan:  50  inches


BLACK NECKED STILT
photo taken:  Tule Lake
habitat map:  Stilt
Length:  14-15 inches
Wingspan:  26 inches


MONK PARAKEET
photos taken:  West Guth Park
habitat map:  Parakeet
Length:  11.5 inches
Wingspan:  19 inches


GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER
photo taken:  West Guth Park
habitat map:  Woodpecker
Length:  9.5 inches
Wingspan:  17 inches


WHITE WINGED DOVE
photo taken:  West Guth Park
habitat map:  Dove
Length:  11-12 inches
Wingspan:  17-18 inches



Always use HYPERLINK when using Linking Tool
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:

PARTICIPATING THIS WEEK:
Jean at NotSoOrganized
Birds Seen in Europe and Africa
Linda,Virginia, USA
Arun
Travels With Birds [no hyperlink]
Lea's Menagerie
Rosyfinch Ramblings
Lavender Dreams
Phil UK
Eileen

13 comments:

  1. Hello Anni,
    I guess the choice would be either have more positive Covid cases or request people to stay at home. I'd rather stay safe at home, my hubby is a at risk person so he prefers staying safe too. I enjoyed all your bird photos, it is hard to pick a favorite. Thanks for hosting. Have a happy 4th of July weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We aren't able to get out now because of the terrible heat and humidity. It just zaps your energy too. But I know we both have lots of photos to share! I love big ole funny looking pelicans. We don't see them unless we go to the coast. Happy 4th my friend! Stay safe! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful pictures, Anni. Yes, your state is one of the bad ones.... but, quite honestly, we're all going to be in the same boat sooner or later. Some people are simply evil & self-centered. If they weren't all this would be very much calmed down by now. Just two months ago, if people would have always worn a mask when going outside their homes.... gone in public only to buy groceries & medicine..... ordered as much as they could online.... this virus would be non-issue right now. But no.... folks couldn't be bothered doing that. It was just "too hard". *sigh* Take care, my friend. Love, Andrea XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have no pelicans anywhere around, and I have never seen a real one. So I always appreciate seeing a post on them. What a sweet parrot! And the caracara are always so impressive. Could you walk places where you would not come into contact with anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess Texas opened up a little too soon and is paying a heavy price. I hope conditions improve soon. Thanks for the great picture of the Golden-fronted Woodpecker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking birds! Continue to stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a real shame how the China virus has returned. It stops lovers of the great outdoors doing what they love best. Thank goodness for digital camera s and archived photos I think?

    I hope you managed to celebrate 4th July Anni.

    Thanks for the links as ever. Take care and go birding just as soon as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a Prehistoric Pelican! Nice intimate portraits of the shrike, parakeet and grumpy-looking caracara. We in Florida are leading the USA in the resurgence of the Coronavirus. They are enforcing the use of masks even when alone outdoors. Not so in our (Broward) County but I carry a mask in my hat just in case we encounter another human during our walks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your photos this week! Sorry about your state's set back. Frustrating when you can't get out and do the things you love because of it. Hope you had a great Fourth of July despite all the restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a friend who lives in Dallas and works for herself, so I know what it is like for you, very frustrating but better to be safe rather than sorry.
    Love your photos and of course for me, birds I never see here.
    Thanks for hosting.
    Take care and keep safe. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos as usual. I don't have a favorite either. I always look forward to these posts, even though I am sometimes late coming. I seldom miss them entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The parakeets sure surprised me! News sure isn’t good from your neck of the woods and I’m glad we left Florida when we did, because it’s even worse there. We are back to masks here in Oregon, but parks are still open. Restaurants too I guess, but not for us! We’re being extra careful.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents