I have been to the islands a couple of times since the 2nd stay at home lockdown. Mainly 'cause I was informed that a frigatebird was spotted along the ship channel in Port Aransas. The first trip there, nothing. Friday, I went again before it broke the 90 degree barrier and had the refuge nearly all to myself. Yes, I realize, I sound like a broken record, but the updates in Texas aren't all that promising. All beach access roads have been closed off and the jetty where many birds can be seen [and a lot of fishermen] are now closed until further notice. Our county has had an upswing in virus cases - last month we took a couple steps forward and now we had to backtrack and go back to phase one. Many, many things are being cancelled. Parades, extra curricular activities for school age, schools will begin the 2020-2021 season, virtually. I'm thinking my 5k walk in October may be cancelled or at least postponed. That's okay by me....if big crowds show up for the heart fund raiser and the virus is still here in the USA...I won't go; just donate the money instead.
Anyway, here are a few 'new' never seen photos from my bird photo archives - profiles/close up and personal...

BLACK SKIMMER
photo taken: Rockport, Texas
habitat map: Skimmer
Length: 18 inchesWingspan: 44 inches

TRI COLORED HERON
photo taken: Oso Bay Wetlands
habitat map: Heron
Length: 25-28 inches
Wingspan: 36 inches

GREEN JAY
photo taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Jay
Length: 10.5 inches
Wingspan: 13.5 inches

OSPREY
photo taken: Humble Channel
habitat map: Osprey
Length: 20-24 inches
Wingspan: 54-72 inches

FLAMINGO
photo taken: Captivity
habitat map: Flamingo
Length: 45 inches
Wingspan: 60 inches

OYSTERCATCHER
photo taken: Indian Point Park
habitat map: Oystercatcher
Length: 18 inches
Wingspan: 32 inches
photo taken: Indian Point Park
habitat map: Oystercatcher
Length: 18 inches
Wingspan: 32 inches
By the way, Friday's trip to Port Aransas developed into a positive morning. The frigatebird showed itself for me. Altho, for now, the photos I took are still on the camera card. Hopefully by next week, I will share.

Participating are:
Ella
Is That What I think It Is?
Nature Footstep
Arun
Linda, Virginia, USA
Not Afraid of Color
Travels with Birds [no required hyperlink]
A Quiet Corner
Lavender Dreams
Jean@NotSoOrganized
Lea's Menagerie
Phil UK
Eileen
Hello, Anni
ReplyDeleteWonderful collection of birds, great head shots. The Green Jay is one of my favorites, it is on my must see list. Thanks for hosting. Take care, have a happy weekend.
You finally found a Frigatebird! This must be one of the hardest birds you have hunted. These photos from the past are amazing! WHY have you not ever posted them? We do not have any of these birds except the Osprey. The Oystercatcher and Skimmer are so similar, but what a difference in the bill shape, each one made to suit what and how they eat. I stared at the Skimmer for quite awhile. The Green jay is beautiful. We have only Blue Jays. I think I will try to get a close shot like yours. But they are so hard to snap! Always jumping around. And such bullies!
ReplyDeleteThe flamingo is my favorite! I'm looking forward to seeing your Frigatebird. Especially since I've not ever heard of that type of bird (going to have go look it up in the bird book later). Hopefully, things will improve again for your area soon. Stay safe and have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteAnni, while they are all wonderful specimens, I was so glad to see you had an Osprey in the collection...:)jp
ReplyDeleteI've never seen the Green Jay...what a beautiful fellow! I love seeing the different types of beaks. One of my favs is the Flamingo...my very fav is the Spoonbill! Enjoy your weekend! It sure is hot! I hiked this morning and not many birds were out...too hot! lol Hugs!
ReplyDeleteGreat up close and personal portraits!
ReplyDeleteHope you are having a wonderful weekend!
An excellent series of closeup shots revealing details we seldom pay enough attention to. Stay safe down there. The news paints a dreadful picture.
ReplyDeleteGreat birds with big noses, I mean beaks! Keep on staying safe!
ReplyDeleteYes Texas does not good at the present time so please stay safe and take no chances. All these photographs of close up birds are excellent Anni. Have a good week.
ReplyDeleteThat Black Skimmer really caught my eye, Anni. Beautiful! Yes, the first lockdown was totally fouled up and now we're back to less than Square One. Some members of humanity have me stumped. Love, Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeletelove all of these but the BLACK SKIMMER is one I have not seen but very much would have loved to see. I would have loved seeing it skim the surface for food.
ReplyDeleteTake care, stay safe.
It is such a shame that your county has this setback Anni. When these things happen it seems to be that people that love the great outdoors, and where they are relatively safe, take a bigger hit than those in the cities and conurbations. I hope things improve soon, and well before October. Enjoyed your close-ups today. Luckily, long lenses don't do social distancing.
ReplyDeleteHave a great week if you can.
Love the skimmer and the Jay, great photos. I am well behind this week so no blog but I will try to remedy it for next week!! Take care Diane
ReplyDeleteSuch interesting beaks on display here! Love them all.
ReplyDeleteThese are fabulous up-close and personal shots!
ReplyDeleteWow - how fabulous!
ReplyDeleteThe flamingo is my favorite!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that Saturday I couldn't write a comment on your blog.
Due to a technical problem ... I didn't have internet all weekend!
Outstanding! Amazing to see these birds so up close through your lens. Thanks for these Anni.
ReplyDeleteLove these beautiful portraits .... do be careful out there. Extreme heat and Covid is definitely not a user friendly combination. ... our Counts going back up too and stricter mask and group numbers regulations reinstated by the Governor. Wonder if things will ever be back to normal.
ReplyDeleteWith the exception of the osprey, these are all birds I have not seen up close. Thanks for sharing and for hosting. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDelete