Well, the heat indices for the past week have dropped considerably with the
oncoming of a cool front from Canada. Not much, but it's a bit more tolerable.
Now, tho, the rainy season has begun, so birding is still 'on hold' for a while,
longer. Migration is just beginning. The hawks, anhingas, kites are returning to
the south, coastal bend, with many counted in flyovers. It's the start of the
'good' season for birders in Texas. Anyway, at home I've kept busy crocheting,
craft projects and puzzles with the caution still in existence for Covid 19.
I'll just post some photos taken over the last year. I really enjoy taking a
zoomed in photo of the close-up and detail of birds if possible...
AMERICAN BITTERN
photo taken: Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Bittern
GREAT BLUE HERON
photo taken: Indian Point Park
habitat map: Heron

ROSE BREASTED GROSBEAK
photo taken: The Willows
habitat map: Grosbeak

PAINTED BUNTING
photo taken: Oso Bay Wetlands
habitat map: Bunting

RUBY THROATED HUMMINGBIRD
photo taken: backyard
habitat map: Hummingbird

CRESTED CARACARA
photo taken: Mustang Island Highway
habitat map: Caracara

WHITE TAILED HAWK
photo taken: Mustang Island
habitat map: Hawk
TURKEY VULTURE
photo taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map:Vulture
Now share your birding experiences:
they all have beautiful details, my favorite of the colors is the red white and black grosbeak. so pretty. hope you can go birdin soon. the storm that is coming tonight and tomorrow, the unnamed one, is bringing a ton of rain. we have had 11 days of rain, 2 days 4 inches, 1 day 6 inches, the other days were 2 to 3 inches. we are soaked and under flood watches. but not for us at our house, just our county close to the beaches and rivers. we are on high land here... the streets flood but not the houses... the problem is there are 2 more sitting out there chugging this way.
ReplyDeleteBe safe...this is notoriously the worst month for hurricanes!
DeleteThose are some very nice intimate portraits. I especially love the Painted Bunting, but who doesn't? The poorly organized "eye" of Tropical Disturbance Nineteen passed over our home around dawn this morning, resulting in some gusty storm bands which were not very threatening. It is headed west across Florida to possibly turn into a Tropical Storm or even a hurricane before making landfall again along the central Gulf Coast-- far away from you, I hope! Stay safe!
ReplyDeleteYes, by the looks of the spaghetti lines on radar, Louisiana again? Good to know it wasn't threatening in your part of Florida.
DeleteWow Anni, what stunning birds and fantastic captures!!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great variety of birds. Your photos are all beautiful. Great capture of the Bittern. The Painted Bunting is one of my favorites, along with the Grosbeak and the Caracara. It is nice to have some cooler weather here too. Thanks for hosting. Have a happy day and a great weekend.
The Painted Bunting is beautiful and I love seeing Bitterns here. I'm looking forward to the birds will be seeing in the weeks to come. I've gotten out a few times this week before the afternoon showers. We have a good downpour usually in the later afternoon. But I'm like you, I stay busy with all kinds of interesting things inside and we are still not getting out except for necessary errands. Have a good weekend!
ReplyDeleteIt is so rare to see such a closeup of a hummer on a blog. Likely because they are so tiny and fast, so what a lovely surprise! Also the Bittern! It seems that Bitterns and Snipes are the most hidden of birds! The Grosebeak is gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos!
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting!
Wonderful bird portraits! Thanks for hosting and stay safe.
ReplyDeleteMy wildlife are absent... all of a sudden... gone. All of them don't relocate for winter so I have no idea what's going on. I thought predator perhaps but I haven't seen any. It's the strangest thing. As always, love your photos, Anni. ~Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeleteIt's a shame your peak migration coincides with lots of rain. Still, if I know you a little I'm sure you will be out birding in between the showers. I love your close ups, a chance to see fine details around the face, something we don't see on normal range birding. Stay Safe but stay birding. Thanks for the link today 😊.
ReplyDeleteThat Painted Bunting is spectacular. I have only ever seen one but it was a glorious male in Texas many years ago. It was before the days of digital photography so that tells you how long, and I don't even have a picture.
ReplyDeleteFabulous photos. Sorry we have been extra busy here with garden produce. I hope to be back to normal very soon. Diane
ReplyDeleteLove all your photos! We had a rainy week as well but next week looks to be perfect. Hope you get some nice weather as all. Really want the rose breasted grosbeaks pass through my area again. Hope you've had a wonderful weekend!
ReplyDelete