Autumn Birding...


I've been enjoying the cool Autumn days this past week. We've had some overcast skies a few mornings, but the sun came out by late afternoon and it's been near perfect, temperature-wise, for me. One morning this past week I walked to Pollywog Ponds. This trail is all natural, and the city has not been in there to mow the grass, so I was traipsing through knee high grasses and getting a good work-out. I saw very few birds...a flock of pigeons flying overhead from a nearby barn I think, two golden fronted woodpeckers, three great kiskadees calling back and forth from high branches in the heavily wooded area, and two water birds on the smaller pond...a grebe and a blue winged teal. Other than that, no activity at all. So, back to the car I went and drove to the nearby park in Calallen. There, I sighted many birds. Another green kingfisher, short billed dowitchers, teals, stilts, egrets, cardinals, sparrows, green jays, mockingbirds, grackles, doves, hummingbirds, and hawks. While I was on the hawkwatch platform [well, not on it, 'cause it's cordoned off for covid reasons for hawkwatch counters only] I, for the FIRST TIME EVER experienced an actual migratory fly over of two species...by the hundreds! Now I understand the fascination of counting them. You really need to experience this, the thrill of it all. At first sight by eye only, I thought I saw white ibis by the hundreds...but on closer look of the distant photo I took, they were a squadron of American White Pelicans. The other fly over I got to witness was a kettle of black vultures [also near 100]. Of course their flight patterns are so easily identified, I had no question of them being anything other than vultures. 
 
 


Here are some I saw at Calallen, Packery Channel, Port Aransas, Oso Bay Wetlands, Charlie's Pasture, Padre Island - and photographed...


LITTLE GREEN HERON
Habitat map: Heron


OSPREY [with catch]
Habitat map: Osprey


GREATER YELLOWLEGS [same bird, but the beak size with photo angles throw me off, could be LESSER]
Habitat map: Yellowlegs


TURKEY VULTURE [two, side by side on rooftop]
Habitat map: Vulture


SPOTTED SANDPIPER [non-breeding plumage]
Habitat map: Sandpiper

I spotted the one on the lower arm of the power pole, solo. Then, as I took photos a 2nd one flew in and landed on top!!


RED SHOULDERED HAWK[s]
Habitat map: Hawk

Always use HYPERLINK when using linking tool
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:


17 comments:

  1. Nice shots! I love it when the Green Heron raises its crest. It is an amazing shape-shifter as well. Nice close and personal with the yellowlegs, sandpiper and Red-shouldered Hawks. For some reason I mostly see immature ones which lack the namesake red on their shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Green Heron sure has his feathers ruffled! They are so funny when they stretch their necks out. We are seeing so many hawks right now but I guess we do year round. Fun to see 2 hanging out together. Enjoy your weekend! The weather is so nice here, it's hard to stay home today! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fine variety of birds. We have Little Green Herons here, but I have never seen any with this crest on their head!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Halloween Anni,

    Sounds like you had a wonderful outing, great sighting of the birds migrating. Your Green Heron photos are awesome. I love the shot with the two Red-shouldered Hawks. I would be happy seeing the White Pelicans too. Nice variety of sightings! Thanks for hosting. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the red shouldered hawk photos. What a great week of birding. How fun to have all the birds flying over head like that. Hope you have a great Halloween and a very happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great captures Anni. My favorites are the Little Green Heron and those handsome hawks. Have a safe and happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand your thrill about the migratory fly over. We have two places in the south of Sweden where this occur. If you go there at the right time of year you can see it. I have seen it twice and it is amazing. :)
    Thanks for sharing the vaders and raptors. Birds I really miss. For you I only have a dipper today.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures! I can only imagine the flyover of all those pelicans!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome photos I can't even pick a favorite because they're all absolutely beautiful. You do have a gift or finding great shots of birds now that I think of it I do have a favorite the first one with that beautiful black Crest because I've never seen them look like that before

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems like you have been having a great time, and yes, migration is a spectacle not to be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree to see migratory birds flying over is amazing. We are right on the path of the Common cranes and we get to see them twice a year as you can see from my recent post.
    Have a good weekend and following week. Thanks for hosting Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anni. I wish I'd been there to see the pelicans on their migration, the vultures too. Witnessing what we call "vis mig" is really exciting when you are able to picture in your mind how far those birds may have travelled and from where they may have set off. Like that Green Heron - he saw you coming just then.

    Thanks for the weekend link Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Dear Anni, the lost one has returned...I hope for a few posts the remainder of the year. It's been rough. Hoping you are doing well. The Little Green Heron images are absolutely perfect as are those Red-Shouldered Hawks. Of course you already know that I love them. Take good care~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos! Love the Red-shouldered Hawk photos!
    We are getting colder weather here in north Mississippi. I don't see as many birds now, and those I do see fly away as soon as they see me!
    Thanks for your comment on my blog, and thanks for hosting I'd Rather B Birdin'

    ReplyDelete
  16. Believe it or not, we have seen the migrating pelicans about 50 miles south and east of us...it is amazing. And then there are the Sandhill cranes...I would love for you to be able to go to Jasper Pulaski to see them. I so wanted to go this fall, but it is a bit of a long trip for roger to even just ride. But was thinking about trying it but other things got in the way.

    and one year the Sandhill Crane flew over here...

    anyway, LOVE your photos today...always do. But that Little Green Heron is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anni, I was ecstatic to read how "swept away and taken" you were for the Hawk Watch. That, my friend, is how I became interested in raptors, followed by my passion for BEs. My introduction to "the count" was while I lived in VA and it, too, was beyond amazing!!!...:)jp

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents