Island Birds...


This week's birding took place at Port Aransas once again. I stopped at Leonabelle Refuge, Paradise Pond, and a small gazebo along the highway that is situated across the street from the post office as I left town...


GADWALL [duck]
Habitat map: Gadwall


GREEN WINGED TEAL
Habitat map: Teal


AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN
Habitat map: Pelican


Neotropic CORMORANT
Habitat map: Cormorant


GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER
Habitat map: Woodpecker


RED WINGED BLACKBIRD
Habitat map: Blackbird



AMERICAN BITTERN
Habitat map: Bittern [top photo its very camouflaged ---look behind the log!]


GREAT EGRET
Habitat map: Egret


Always use HYPERLINK when linking
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:



19 comments:

  1. You really got up close and personal with your subjects. I once had an American Bittern walk across a driveway right out in the open-- so very slowly. It must have believed it was invisible. Those two egrets seem not to be on speaking terms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! It took me a minute to find the Bittern in the first Bittern photo, but I knew there must be a bird there somewhere!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen exactly what Ken describes above - American Bitterns completely in the open, as visible as can be, behaving exactly as if they were camouflaged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous captures Anni! The Bittern sure blends right in with the background. I hope you are having a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Bittern is always so hard to spot! We are looking for him but haven't seen one this Fall yet. Love your photos! Enjoy your weekend. Happy birding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni, first of all, thank you for stopping by the new blog. It’s still a WIP (work in progress) but I’ll get there..LOL! Secondly I love your header!!! And finally, the birds...amazing photos as always!! Stay healthy, my friend...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  7. love that teal color on the wings and the gadwal is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Bittern! Just look at his camouflaged!! Until I saw him, my favorites were the Teal and the Golden Fronted Woodpecker. Bitterns are so secretive! I love this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent photos. Love the red winged black bird. We have LOTS of them around here in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that Red-winged blackbird shot...also the American Bittern. I have seen one out at the strip pits twice...at least I assume it was the same one. That was a few years ago, and have not seen it since. But I always look...they are just so hard to see...I could easily miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That bittern is hiding well! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morning Anni. Boy that redwing really didn't want his picture taking did he? You almost had me fooled with that scene of grass and not much else until I spotted the head poking out. So many people would have walked on by and seen nothing. I don't think of Pelicans as American birds as I saw them in the Caribbean but then I know you are not too far away from exotic places. On the other hand I know that Texas is exotica! It would be for me if I could bird there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Anni,

    Great sighting of the Bittern! The Egret and Pelicans are favorites this week! Great photos. Thanks for hosting. Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You take the prettiest pictures, Anni. I love them all. Pelicans are one of my favorite birds. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all your images this week (as usual) but my favorite has to be the red winged blackbird in flight. Hope you've had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful images!!! sorry I didn't join this week as it has been raining and cold 40's since Friday and today raining with mixed sleet/snow

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your help with ID on the Hawk photo on my blog!
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the red winged black bird in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely to see these, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents