Calallen Texas


Early one morning I left for the park* in Calallen, Texas. And, to my surprise, I kinda think I hit "pay dirt" with a variety of birds [and mosquitoes as big as birds it seems]. Hawks, flycatchers, starlings, mockingbirds, shrikes, herons, ducks, cardinals, sparrows, caracaras, kiskadees, hummingbirds, and one I haven't seen in quite a long time...a solitare kingfisher! I also spotted an elusive rail, but at another park [Port A] Those listed are just the ones I can recall seeing. There were more species. I'll share just a few of the photos of along the park road:



CLAPPER RAIL
Habitat map: Rail



GREEN KINGFISHER
Habitat map: Kingfisher



RUBY THROATED HUMMINGBIRD
Habitat map: Hummingbird



VERMILION FLYCATCHER
Habitat map: Flycatcher




RED SHOULDERED HAWK
Habitat map: Hawk



LITTLE GREEN HERON
Habitat map: Heron


Always use HYPERLINK when using linking tool
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:

* Bazemore Park - Calallen, Texas


11 comments:

  1. That Green Kingfisher sure is a handsome fellow. I try to write down what I see in my hiking journal after a hike, but I never remember everything. You really did great that day! Hope you are safe and sound this weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anni!

    Another great collection of birds and photos. The kingfisher is a favorite, also the Green Heron. The Vermilion Flycatcher is a beauty! Thanks for hosting. I hope you are having a great day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love that Little Green Heron the frontal stipes are so pretty.

    Thanks for hosting. Have a fab Sunday and keep safe. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Little Green Heron shot is so striking! But my fave is the Rail. I think they might be as secretive as Bitterns. Lots of beautiful birds not usually seen today, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In most parts of North America Belted Kingfisher is the only kingfisher present, so you are fortunate to have Green Kingfisher and if I am not mistaken Ringed Kingfisher is occasionally seen in the vicinity of Falcon Dam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, I already miss our little hummingbird! Glad you saw one. The flycatcher is a cute little bird as well. Yikes on the mosquitoes! Hope they didn't swarm you too much. Hope you are having a great weekend so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice sampling of photos from a very productive trip! I think I have only seen the Green Kingfisher once, in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. It is a striking bird, small as it is. Glad you (and we) dodged another storm, but not good for our friends in SW Louisiana. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm back in England Annie. You had a good birding session there going by your list. Birds do a brilliant job by eating mozzies and lots of nasties that plague us. If it wasn't for birds in your part of the world you would be knee deep in the critters. Enjoyed your pics today and thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Kingfisher makes me smile. He's just so cute. All the photos are of course gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, a regular treasure chest of birds...it is always fun to see what you have captured each week, or what you choose to share.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll be seeing those red shouldered hawks soon. In my favorite stomping grounds: Florida.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents