With three cold fronts moving into our area, it's been very chilly [downright cold for us Texans], windy, and not too pleasant to be outdoors doing much of anything. In fact a couple of days we woke up to frost on the ground!! I've been staying indoors mostly, wishing for no wind and the sun warming up the countryside. But, not to be had. While shopping, tho, I took back roads home, stopped here and there to step out in the cold and walk through some naked trees and at other stops, trees that are evergreen. Some areas protected with the warmth of the tree canopy, the grass remained green, while in open areas, the golden blades were dry and crunched under my steps. I walked a piece to find some birds and I got lucky. I did see some activity...near the car, and the car's heater within close proximity:
All too soon I will be complaining of the extreme heat. I know I should be enjoying this break of what lies ahead in just a few months, but I can't get myself motivated to be in the cold. Maybe by January 2021 it'll be better.







lol, Hi Anni, I can see you are not used to winter. From what you write it would make ME thrilled. I like winter as long as it is not tons with snow. Snow-less winter is ugly in my part of the world, snow makes it beautiful.
ReplyDeleteAmong your fine birds today I see a nice surprise. I don´t think I have seen the BLACK CRESTED TITMOUSE before. So beautiful with the black crest on it´s head. :)
For the cold and wind you better put on one more layer. My big concern nowadays is my eyes running too much. Paper in the pocket always.
Take care!
Hi Anni...oh my goodness your 'birds' have been well trained in posing. The Titmouse thrills me all year. Such sweet little birds. In the winter I hang a thistle feeder on stand that normally holds my hummingbird feeder. It took the wee ones several weeks to find it but now that they have oh my.
ReplyDeleteDonny Downy, or at list is lookalike, from my link today continues to visit and enjoy my suet.
Thank you for hosting
Hugs Cecilia
I especially like the perky little burbs-- the chippie and the titmouse.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great variety of birds. I like the Kestrel, Kingbird and the cute Titmouse! Thanks for hosting. Have a happy weekend!
Gorgeous photos Anni. Sorry about your weather. It was cold here for for a few days but was still nice and sunny, and warmed up into the 60s during the day. Today is warmer but we are forecast for nice mild weather all next week. I hope the sun will be shining there soon too!
ReplyDeleteI love the sharp black and white pattern of the hawk, it is really gorgeous! And look how high and colorful the titmouse's head tuft is! Maybe because of the cold. can't say that I have ever seen this kind of kingbird, he is lovely.
ReplyDeleteP.S. LOVE your SNOW!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI always love the birds of prey, but the titmouse is gorgeous. Have a good Sunday and stay safe, Diane
ReplyDeleteKestrels are another one of my favorites, Anni! Thank you for the beautiful photo!!...:)jp
ReplyDeleteLovely to see these birds, but it's the titmouse which is my favourite today.
ReplyDeleteSo cute!
Happy Weekend Wishes.
All the best Jan
We've never seen that Titmouse here...how pretty! And I love the Kestrel. I looked at your post with all the doves but I'm still not sure what kind of Dove we saw this week. I guess I need to study on it a little more! Enjoy your weekend! Happy decorating!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the input on the Dove. It was in the shade and definitely a shade of rosy brown and that is what has confused us. The mark was more of a slash than a dot and it was big and chubby. The Mourning Doves we see here are gray and this one was not gray. But you are more of an expert that we are....just wish you could have seen it up close! Hugs!
DeleteThanks so much for coming back to look again! You are the best! AND....we are still learning! Hugs!
DeleteIt's cold in Virginia too. That titmouse has character!
ReplyDeleteYou made the effort and reaped the rewards Anni. That titmouse is super - don't think you have featured that one before? We had our first frost this week but it only lasted a few hours before the rains returned. I don't mins a week or two of frost because it is so much better for birding than rain and grey days. Enjoy your week. Stay warm near the car heater. And invest in heated seats!
ReplyDeletethat titmouse is adorable. we have cold herer but not cold enough to keep one inside. our cold is 57 this morning. we had two days of 48 at wakeup and topped out at 72.. going up and down, but this is my faovrite time of the year here.. cold at wake up and by midafternoon bright and comfy. it is perfect for wandering in the woods, you would love it
ReplyDeleteThe weather you are experiencing now seems pretty darn pleasant to me. On the coldest day I can dress in layers and stay warm but the kind of intense heat you have to endure where you live would finish me off! And you can't escape it, other than by staying indoors.
ReplyDeleteIt is also cold in the Netherlands.
ReplyDeleteWonderful to see these birds! Very cute! Your photos are great!
Damn! I am already late registering in your table! Sorry!
I would love to be able to see that many birds...I could see the hawks but not the others. I will be complaining about the heat right along beside you...
ReplyDeleteI always enjoy visiting your blog. Your bird photos are awesome. You are a marvelous photographer.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a very Happy Holiday!