Happy New Year Y'all!! It's been a typical holdiay, puzzling week! By that I mean I don't know what day of the week it's been all week. I like to blame it ON holidays, but in all honesty, it's that way most of the year. I can say, "Happily Retired"!
As I tore down and packed away the Christmas stuff, I did manage to get out of the house, birding, a couple of days. The weather has been perfect for outings. Mild, dry, and sunny.
One morning, early, I found my way through dense ground fog [low lying, not impeding my driving vision] and headed toward the historic Chapman Ranch. The fog was really a god-send actually. When it cleared out, along all the county roads I drove I spotted many species of hawks. And they were pretty in the morning sun. I saw other birds that day too, but haven't yet got the photos off the camera. I hope to get them up and ready to post from the SD card for next week. Another day, I drove to Oso Bay Wetlands to walk the trails and saw dozens of Sandhill Cranes. A young girl pulled up behind me as I got out of the car for a photo session along the road shoulder. She offered to let me in through the gate to her private land for close-ups. I thanked her but "no thanks". With Covid, I'm still too cautious. Any other time, I probably would have accepted. Then, before I post my video, I was told that there were four Cinnamon Teals at Port Aransas. I went, didn't see them....it's been nearly 4 years since I've seen any in my part of Texas. Oh well. I watched the White Pelicans busy with their habitual ritual of cleaning themselves. They were photo bombed by a few Laughing Gulls' antics. I hope the video plays; it's a new way of transferring it from my computer instead of loading it to you tube...
As I tore down and packed away the Christmas stuff, I did manage to get out of the house, birding, a couple of days. The weather has been perfect for outings. Mild, dry, and sunny.
One morning, early, I found my way through dense ground fog [low lying, not impeding my driving vision] and headed toward the historic Chapman Ranch. The fog was really a god-send actually. When it cleared out, along all the county roads I drove I spotted many species of hawks. And they were pretty in the morning sun. I saw other birds that day too, but haven't yet got the photos off the camera. I hope to get them up and ready to post from the SD card for next week. Another day, I drove to Oso Bay Wetlands to walk the trails and saw dozens of Sandhill Cranes. A young girl pulled up behind me as I got out of the car for a photo session along the road shoulder. She offered to let me in through the gate to her private land for close-ups. I thanked her but "no thanks". With Covid, I'm still too cautious. Any other time, I probably would have accepted. Then, before I post my video, I was told that there were four Cinnamon Teals at Port Aransas. I went, didn't see them....it's been nearly 4 years since I've seen any in my part of Texas. Oh well. I watched the White Pelicans busy with their habitual ritual of cleaning themselves. They were photo bombed by a few Laughing Gulls' antics. I hope the video plays; it's a new way of transferring it from my computer instead of loading it to you tube...

Anni, I had to laugh when reading the first paragraph of your entry today, as I just talked about the same thing on my blog & hit "publish" on it not two minutes ago. Great minds think alike, as they say! ~Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeleteThose pelicans look as if they are having just a wonderful time. Yes, I can't believe how fast the days go by with so little change in routine and no normal rhythm. We do get out nearly every morning an hour before sunrise and we practically never see another human being. Of course we carry masks but never need to use them on our walks in the wetlands. We got our first of the two Moderna COVID vaccine shots today. Have a Happy and Healthy New Year!
ReplyDeleteThe video worked! And it is beautiful! I have never seen Pelicans preening. Their beaks almost look too long, but they manage!
ReplyDeleteHAPPy NEW YEAR to you too, Anni! Yes your video played and it is GREAT!! I tried to upload a video clip and the message returned that it was too large so I gave up. Yours made me feel like jumping in with them...:)jp
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteI love watching the Pelicans! Great video, it worked well for me. Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy New Year! Thanks for hosting. Take care, enjoy your weekend.
The video worked for me - beautiful and they look like they are sure enjoying the day. Sorry you didn't get to see the Cinnamon Teals, not that I have a clue what Cinnamon Teals are lol.
ReplyDeleteIt worked for me too! And how neat to see the White Pelicans enjoying time together! lol Happy New year my friend! Thanks for the fun we've had this past year!
ReplyDeleteWonderful video. I am glad that you posted it here so that we can all enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed the video! Love the white pelicans. Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteI sure enjoyed this...loved the sounds in the background, too.
ReplyDeleteIt's a pelican party! Happy new year!
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. Here's wishing you a Happy and birding New Year from Great Britain. Like you, I lost track of recent days and had to keep stopping to work it out. But now it's Sunday morning and time soon to take Sue grocery shopping once I clear the car of frost.
ReplyDeleteLoved your video. Pelicans are just so exotic. Reminds me of days in hot, sunny in Cancun, Mexico.
Happy New Year Anni. I keep showing up on not a very good schedule yet, but now that we have a new year, maybe I can pull my act together. I enjoyed the White Pelicans in your video display. How neat that you can share it that way. I am not at all tech savvy and not sure that I could pull one off. It took me three attempts with Blogger changes to get my images in proper order. Take good care, stay very safe.
ReplyDeleteI sat watching your video with a nice cup of tea, thank you.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year.
All the best Jan
great video;) hope your doing well
ReplyDelete