It's been since Springtime just before Hurricane Harvey [3-4 years already?] that I've seen this one! I've been diligent each time I go where there would be a possible sighting, but to no avail. Until this week. We have had frosty days where I haven't gone out to do any walking or birding. And then, one day, thinking I'd go on a walk about on the islands, I took off only to have the engine light come on on the dashboard of my car. I wasn't about to get out in the 'boonies' and have no way of getting back home without roadside assistance. I turned around, dropped the car off at the mechanics and walked home. They did a computer analysis and called me some hours later, had it fixed, and the very next day I was out enjoying the sunny day and mild temperature. And, to top it off, I finally sighted in on the elusive bird. According to my guide books, they are commonly seen, but I can't agree to this. At least not in MY area of Texas. I was happy about seeing it tho! And here he is. He was busy preening, and I took several photos, showing one with his beautiful wings visible:
Other birds seen in the same area of Port Aransas on this day; some in photos below while others counted and recorded were Avocets, Green Winged Teals, Grackles, Mockingbirds, Blue Winged Teals, Ladder Backed Woodpecker, White and Brown Pelicans, Coots, Gulls, Cormorants, Gallinules, Egrets, Killdeer, Robins [continuing winter based this year], White winged Doves, Terns, and probably more that I can't recall just now...


AMERICAN KESTREL
Habitat map: Kestrel


AMERICAN KESTREL
Habitat map: Kestrel

OSPREY
Habitat map: Osprey

YELLOW RUMPED WARBLER [aka Myrtle]
Habitat map: Warbler
REDHEAD DUCK
Habitat map: Duck

TRI-COLORED HERON
Habitat map: Heron



The Cinnamon Teal is simply gorgeous! I don't think I've seen one but it's very distinct with the cinnamon colors! Love that tri color...he's a bit ruffled isn't he? Enjoy your weekend! We got out this morning before it got so windy. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteSo Gorgeous!! My favorites are the Cinnamon Teal and the Tri-colored heron, both just amazing! Happy birding this weekend Anni :)
ReplyDeleteVery nice shot Anni!
ReplyDeleteThe TRI-COLORED HERON it's my favorite.
I want such a hairstyle too! LOL
Anni, while I "oooh'd" at the Tri-Colored Heron, that Plump Kestrel and Osprey won my heart!! I want to tell you that I recently have been seeing Hooded Mergansers flying in to enjoy the river!! It blew my mind because they shouldn't be here this time of the year!!!...:)jp
ReplyDeleteThe cinnamon teal is named well, what a pretty color on a pretty bird! Glad you got to see it and share your photo with us! Hope you are enjoying the weekend so far.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, I have never heard of a Cinnamon Teal. He is gorgeous, and I would have been overjoyed to see him! He does have an appropriate name. Have you ever seen one before now? He is for sure the star of your post today, a totally new and gorgeous bird for me.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos! I'm glad you found the cinnamon teal! Thanks for hosting.
ReplyDeleteThat's some list of birds Anni. Topped off by the Cinnamon Teal I'd say that is a very successful trip. I agree about bird guides that bother overstate and understate the commonality of a species, especially in large counties or areas of a country. Hope your car is fixed now. Nothing more annoying than warning lights! Have a great Sunday and thanks for the link today.
ReplyDeleteHello, Anni
ReplyDeleteYour Cinnamon Teal is gorgeous, great sighting and photos. I love all your birds, the Osprey and Redhead are favorites too this week. I did not have many birds photos on my post, I hope to link up next week. Take care, have a great day and a happy new week!
The Cinnamon Teal shots are fabulous but my favourite is the Heron. Boy has he got a bad hair day. Thanks for commenting on my posts, I appreciate that, Have a good week ahead.
ReplyDeleteIt's a long time since I last saw a Cinnamon Teal, a very handsome duck. However, I saw Chestnut Teal in Australia in 2018 quite frequently, and there is a certain degree of similarity.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds! That Cinnamon Teal is gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteThe swans in my 'in flight' shot are not too far from home...only takes 10 minutes or less to get there. They are passing through right now. They are at the strip pit area. The snow geese were out there that day too, but just could not get a good picture and did not have the time anyway.
it sounds like the car was a simple fix, hope so. I do love that cinnamon teal, both duck and those colors... happy you finally got out to do some birdin since you rather be birdin.😎
ReplyDeleteLovely set of photos and I really love the birds of prey, always my favourites. Keep safe and stay well, Diane
ReplyDeleteNice to see all of your photographs, and my favourite is the tri colour heron :)
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan