As I mentioned on my personal blog the other day, migration has been phenomenal these past few days! So many beautiful birds are showing up everywhere and I, at best, am trying to keep up with them. Of course, I can't. I can't be at all the hotspots at the same time.
I'll begin with one on Mustang Island called "The Willows" shown on map on the right margin [map courtesy of Google Maps]. It's a small area nestled between two condominium complexes with a small fresh water pond that is surrounded by black willow trees. About 25 miles from home, crossing the channel, Padre Island, and connecting to Mustang Island. The warblers, thrushes, grosbeaks, buntings and orioles, plus more species seem to "flock" there each Spring and Fall. And this year, tho a week or two later than normal, it is no exception. Of course, I always go early in the morning if I can. Oftentimes the population of birds and wildlife is still quiet, but I have yet to leave disappointed. For days I've been taking day trips to many other migrating stops, and I'll share a whole lot more as time passes. While I was there at the Willows recently, I spotted these:
I'll begin with one on Mustang Island called "The Willows" shown on map on the right margin [map courtesy of Google Maps]. It's a small area nestled between two condominium complexes with a small fresh water pond that is surrounded by black willow trees. About 25 miles from home, crossing the channel, Padre Island, and connecting to Mustang Island. The warblers, thrushes, grosbeaks, buntings and orioles, plus more species seem to "flock" there each Spring and Fall. And this year, tho a week or two later than normal, it is no exception. Of course, I always go early in the morning if I can. Oftentimes the population of birds and wildlife is still quiet, but I have yet to leave disappointed. For days I've been taking day trips to many other migrating stops, and I'll share a whole lot more as time passes. While I was there at the Willows recently, I spotted these:
OVENBIRD
Habitat map: Ovenbird

SWAINSON'S THRUSH
Habitat map: Thrush

WOOD THRUSH
Habitat map: Thrush

EASERN KINGBIRD
Habitat map: Kingbird

ROSE BREASTED GROSBEAK [female]
Habitat map: Grosbeak

BLUE GROSBEAK [female]
Habitat map: Grosbeak

Linking tool is now closed for the week. Return on Saturday for new stuff!
all of your birds are great ones. But I always wonder why the first one is named Ovenbird??
ReplyDeleteThe Kingbird is royalty! :)
Hope everything is well with you. :)
Hello Anni,
ReplyDeleteYou are so lucky to see all of these migrating birds. I see some that we will have here for the summer.
The Wood Thrush and Ovenbird are a few of my favorites. The Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Indigo Bunting are beautiful. They are all beautiful photos. Thanks for hosting. Have a happy weekend.
so many birds, i have never seen more than one to 3 birds in one place, possibly because I did not look for them. Diane said i talk to much and scare them away. she said i need to act like a tree to see the birds. i love the shapes of the thrush. they are cuddly cute
ReplyDeleteThe Indigo Bunting is beautiful, and the Ovenbird seems like a rare find. But wat intrigued me the most is your reference to the Black Willow. I had never heard of this, and it set me off on a big research tangent! Yet again, I have learned something so cool here!
ReplyDeleteLovely. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI love that ovenbird...and wonder if I have seen one and not known it. I really like that you include the link to habitat map.
ReplyDeleteThey are all so adorable Anni! I think the little ovenbird is my favorite. :)
ReplyDeleteNothing quite beats the thrill of migration, does it?
ReplyDeleteThe hotspot seems packed with beautiful birds. All of these bird photos are lovely. It’s always exciting to see the migrants.
ReplyDeleteGreat shots! Thanks for hosting.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting Anni. From your map it looks like the island has a funneling effect by concentrating migrant birds in that narrow strip of north to south land where they all head for a good feeding spot. Hence your super shots of those very fresh migrants. Like you say, some days nothing, other days a "fall" and by later in the day they probably moved on.
ReplyDeleteThe birds I have shared today are just common wild ducks of which there are many in Hawaii. These are not nene goose. Thanks everyone
ReplyDeleteYou got to see a nice variety but they sure try to hide behind branches, don't they? It's fun to get out in the Spring and see what's new in the neighborhood! Enjoy your week ahead!
ReplyDeleteNice collection again! Love especially the Ovenbird and thrushes. Your final bird has a very large bill and brown wing bars, characteristics of Blue Grosbeak.
ReplyDeleteI'll correct that. Thanks.
DeleteThis morning, I saw a chickadee pulling from a wad of cat fur we'd thrown out. So cute. Destined to feather a Spring nest.
ReplyDeleteSome beautiful birds, I enjoyed seeing them.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
All the best Jan