More Spring Migrants seen in the past few days. I'm not sure of the first ID tho. I'm thinking this may be a Philadelphia Vireo? At first, I saw this as a Warbling Vireo, but the dark eye line on THIS bird goes all the way to the beak; unlike the Warbling. And the light lower mandible may be observed. I haven't taken time to confirm. It was feeding on halved oranges in the Audubon Park on North Padre Island. Do they even eat fruit? I know that Red-Eyed Vireos are often known to feed on citrus...but, the Philadelphia? I was able to get two images before it flew off. I'm not sure. Keep in mind it's a guess identification. Expert advice is appreciated. If it IS the vireo I assume it is, I can then mark it as 'seen' in my record charts. Can anyone confirm the ID?
Springtime in Texas Bird Country....

PHILADELPHIA VIREO [?]
Habitat map: Vireo
Another exciting time was seeing the young bird along with the adult in the close-by vicinity! The youngster was hopping around and under a fence line so I couldn't help but get part of the fencing in the photo and still get a good enough picture of the bird itself!


DICKCISSEL [adult -1st and juvenile -2nd]
Habitat map: Dickcissel
I could go on and on with more birds seen, but this will be the last one for the day. Time to get out and do more walking/birding before I pre-schedule this post. My last bird is another 'new' one for me. It's another species of Oriole. I've seen the hooded, the baltimore, the orchard, but this one is a first. Sadly, the initial photo, shot in the tree branches, is highly blurred, but I saved it for the reason it shows the wide wing bars and the eye line...




BULLOCK'S ORIOLE
Habitat map: Oriole

LINKING TOOL IS NOW CLOSED
Come back Saturday at noon for a new tool.

That is a tough one! It seems more distinctively marked than many Tennessee warblers, but it has a sharp pointed bill, white throat and noticeable green on its back which are more characteristic of Tennessee warbler. Philadelphia Vireos have more yellow on their throat and more blunt bill, hooked at tip. I have only seen a few Philadelphia Vireos. Usually they were singing up in Illinois and they sounded like Red-eyed Vireos, somewhat. They are also a bit bulkier and not as "flitty" as the little Tennessee, yet I could be wrong.
ReplyDeleteCould be. I do see a faint yellow eyebrow.
Deletedickcissel? who names these birds? HA HA... awfully cute. i love the colors of the oriole and you already know i don't know a Philly from a Warbler, but I did marry a Philly man if tht counts. they are beautiful as always
ReplyDeleteI think it's their song where the name comes from; I could be wrong.
DeleteIt is the song. They sing their name - but a person could sure have fun with a name like Dickcissel!
DeleteI love what we call an ID photo! It gives you those clues for exactly what it is...or isn't! We didn't see much when we went out today. The weather was nice but the birds took the day off! lol The Dicksissel is beautiful too. I've never seen one of them but it was on the top of our calendar awhile back! Happy Mother's day weekend!
ReplyDeleteWow, Anni
ReplyDeleteGreat sightings! I am not sure if I have ever seen the Bullock's Oriole, it is a beauty. The Dickcissel is a favorite too. Sorry, I can not help with the Vireo id. I will leave that to the experts. Thanks for hosting. Have a Happy Mother's day, enjoy your weekend.
They are all great but that last one is a real beauty Anni! Sandra cracks me up :D
ReplyDeleteTwo gorgeous birds you share today. The colorful DICKCISSEL and the beautiful BULLOCK'S ORIOLE. I totally love the last shot. It looks like a celebration to all happiness there is. If I were you I would make a copy of it and put on your wall so you can see it every day. :)
ReplyDeleteI never even HEARD of a Bullocks Oriole!! Wow, very col sightings this time. A new bird and a mystery. But I think it is not a mystery, you will likely be right about your I.D. There is no bird that you cannot identify! And all the bloggers know it, too.
ReplyDeleteI would opt for Philadelphia Vireo. Your picture shows a distinctly blunter bill than a Tennessee Warbler and I always think of Philadelphia Vireo as having a pale patch at the throat transitioning to a yellow belly which is what your picture shows. I don't know how much of the behaviour you can recall but a Tennessee Warbler exhibits the typical frantic feeding techniques of a warbler, barely keeping still for a moment whereas a Philadelphia Vireo is somewhat more methodical. I hope this helps.
ReplyDeleteI really can't say on this one. I will have to check my books and maybe take time to view all online. The white under the tail...is that perhaps a distinctive mark too?
DeleteI don't know anything about vireos, but your pictures are excellent.
ReplyDeleteI'm going for Tennessee Warbler there Anni. Your photo shows a pointy rather than a thicker, hooked bill. the greyish head says Tennessee too. That Bullock's Oriole is a super find, and such wonderful colours. I don't blame you for getting out for plenty of birding if you're seeing birds like those. Great Stuff! Have a super Sunday. And thanks for the link up.
ReplyDeleteYou have some really pretty birds around you, the oriole is stunning. Keep safe and thanks for hosting, Diane
ReplyDeleteOh, I so love Dickcissels...they are just so cheerful. Sing their little hearts out. I love seeing what you see.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds, lovely to see.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Hi Anni, beautiful photos . The birds are very colourfull. I like them. Greetings Caroline
ReplyDeleteThese are so beautiful birds again, dear Anni! I've never seen a BULLOCK'S ORIOLE before - wonderful, this color!
ReplyDeleteAll the best,
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/05/erlebte-und-erzahlte-geschichten-im.html