Please take note of my little observation written up below the TERN photo. I'd love your input!!
For the last month or so, the storm fronts come in from the NW and from Old Mexico [Baja of California] almost daily...drenching our area that is already saturated. We have been staying home for weeks it seems. There may be a lull in the storms for a few hours and I try to get out of the yard in that interim. But, not always. As I said, the ground is saturated and the open, flooded, fields outside of town a ways are like magnets for some birds. I drove by one of those fields the other day and lo and behold, but not surprising, several Hudsonian Godwits [they literally "flock" to flooded fields along the migration passage] were feasting along with ducks, gulls and others. Then, one morning on the island, I happened to walk in a small park area along the ferry landing and then to the beach by the jetty before the storms arrived. Mostly terns and pelicans there, and an egret...




HUDSONIAN GODWIT
Habitat map: Godwit
>

BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK
Habitat map: Duck

BROWN PELICAN
Habitat map: Pelican

DUNLIN
Habitat map: Dunlin

ROYAL TERN
Habitat map: Tern
Note: I have read that the male feeds fish to his potential "betrothed" to impress her. But, what I have noticed in the recent years as I watch them interact, there is a lack of robbery during this maneuver! What I mean is, when a fish is caught, usually there is a hoard of other terns and gulls trying to steal the catch...but during the courtship ritual, there is a lack of intrusion. Has anyone else noted this action? Do they know the intentions of said male, and leave him be to go on without invading or trying to steal?

Now share your birding experiences:
Anni. I predict that no one will be able to answer your conundrum. I would like to congratulate you on your observational skills in seeing this behaviour and wanting to discover the answer. Super pictures whatever the comments. Enjoy your weekend 😉.
ReplyDeleteInteresting, Anni. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteHello, Anni
ReplyDeleteBeautiful captures of all the birds. The Whistling Ducks will always be a favorite of mine! It is interesting to read your observation of the Tern and it's catch. I would like to believe the others leave the Tern alone at special time. Thanks for hosting. I hope you have a great weekend!
Flooding aint fun. But can be exused it you are lucky to see that kind of wonderful birds. Loved to see the images of the HUDSONIAN GODWIT, such a beauty, I have seen other godwits and in breading plumage they are stunning.
ReplyDeleteAlso love the last shot with the Royal tern. Smiled at the look on it´s face. :)
Nice post Anni
Take care.
I have no idea about what you observed but it's interesting and I like reading your comments. Hope you have a beautiful weekend. LOVE your new banner too!
ReplyDeleteOh, what awesome photos. I love all the pictures and enjoy viewing your blog very much. Keep up the splendid work of photograpy.
ReplyDeleteI have no answer on the viewing of the terns because I have not seen them. what i can say is all of your bird photos are always stunning, but this one of the tern is a work of art, the water cascade around the feet, the curve of the wing, the gleam in his eye while offering the engagement fish is extraoridnary.
ReplyDeletesorry about all the rain, and sorry we don't have any. THEY promised us rain every day for a whole week. we got 2 inches last saturday. a few minutes ago we got 5 minutes of drizzle.. a whole week of promises and no rain. some of FL is getting quick showers others nothing. Fire flags up in some places
Dear Anni,
ReplyDeletehere in Central Europe the storms are also increasing. But now warmer and drier weather has finally returned. As I can see from your bird photos, the floods offer a good observation field. You get wonderful photos again! I can offer you a thrush today - and a chicken ;-)) In the next post I will have some more birds! Regarding your tern observation, I can't help you, sorry, we don't have these birds here ...
All the best, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/06/museumsdorf-niedersulz.html
Great shots Anni and the last one of the Royal Tern is really fantastic! What you have observed sure is interesting. I would love to hear if you ever find out more about it. I hope the rain slow down there soon, send it over to Florida please. I hope you're having a nice weekend! :)
ReplyDeleteYou always share such interesting birds. No idea from this landlocked area about your question but what an interesting observation. Hope your weekend is going well.
ReplyDeleteYour Tern comment is remarkable! My olny thought is that all the males are courting, and their gift to their potential mate must be caught only by him, and not stolen.
ReplyDeleteI have no idea about the behavior of the male terns... but your pictures are beautiful, Anni. ~Andrea xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteThe tern behaviour is a bit of a mystery. It is hard to believe the other males would be so altruistic. I have no ready answer but will do some research and if I come up with anything I will add another comment. In the meantime, congratulations on your keen powers of observation.
ReplyDeleteThe whistling ducks are so darn cute! I suspect that interrupting a male who is trying to impress a female would be an invitation to fight.
ReplyDeleteSo many lovely birds. Your observation about the male tern is interesting. I have never observed this. Perhaps he is an Alpha male who no one dares to mess with :D.
ReplyDeleteI hope it stops raining for you soon. I like a little rain but not to the point where things get flooded. We will be getting our rains and thunderstorms for the next several days. Nice over the weekend however. Your photos are awesome. I loved the last one of the Tern particularly. I am no expert but found reading about it very interesting.
ReplyDeleteAnni, Anni, Anni, your shot of the Royal Tern is flipping PERFECT!!! A little protein goes a long way...jp
ReplyDeleteAlways enjoy seeing your bird photographs, love the one of the Royal Tern.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
oh your photography is extraordinary dear Anni ,here from Eileen 's place to say thank you for bringing up the best beauty of Nature and share with us :)
ReplyDeletehope your weather behaves well in days ahead my friend!
blessings!
Wonderful images!
ReplyDelete