A Colony of Breeding Egrets....


In the first few days of June, Bud and I took a drive to the outskirts of the South Texas Hill Country. There is an area west of Corpus Christi by several miles that meanders through the beginnings of Oak 'forests', and in one part, just off the main highway, turning toward San Patricio Texas, there  is a private pond. Wright's Pond. It is a birding haven year 'round.  A birding friend emailed me that the Great Egrets were displaying in courtship rituals and busy building nests just along the banks of the pond, in the tree tops. Naturally, I had to go see what I could see. After pulling off the main road, I got out and was mesmerized by the activity!! In particular the images I saw through the viewing lens of one with prime materials for building just the perfect home! Besides egrets frequenting in this area, I have seen hawks, anhingas, other species of egrets and herons. On this particular day, it was only Great Egrets at the time. And a goat!!


I hope to return in a couple of weeks to check the nesting progress. If all goes as planned.
GREAT EGRET
Habitat map: Egret


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:


LINKING IS NOW CLOSED UNTIL SATURDAY AT Noon...CDT [usa]

19 comments:

  1. Yeah, today I'm the first ;-) Dear Anni, your photos of the Great Egrets are wonderful - such magnificent birds! I'm looking forward to your continuation with photos of the nesting progress and I really hope that there will be a lot of babies!
    Today you can see the promised pictures of the waterfowl at the fish pond in my blog.
    Have a great weekend!
    Hugs, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/06/nexinger-schweiz-muschelberg-und.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if my linking worked. The system does not display my blog, but claims that my entry has already been added to the list ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really do look so fancy with the frilly feathers! We see them in breeding colors but rarely see a nest. Yesterday I saw a broken egg next to the trail though....boohoo! Have a good weekend. It's HOT here in FL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Anni
    Wonderful series on the Egrets and their nest. The Pond sounds like a great find, thanks to your friend for letting you know where they were located. Does the goat live there too? Thanks for hosting. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen anything like this! It is a whole colony of them! And I had no idea that they all nest so close together. An amazing post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing so many of those beauties all in one place! I can't wait to see the progress and hopefully see some babies too. Have a great weekend Anni. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. In nuptial plumage they are spectacular! It is easy to see, although not justified, why they were such an integral part of the millinery trade, a fact that almost drove them to extinction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos of the egret colony are lovely. Hope you’ll see lots of fledglings on your follow up visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marvelous photos of the egrets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your birding pal gave you a got heads up there Anni. The egrets are spectacular in their summer plumage. Better still with all that noise and activity to make for some fine photography. Have a great day and thanks for the link that worked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This place could be called Egret City! Hope you can get a shot of the nest when it's finished

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful birds!!! And your expert photography shares them with the rest of us. Thank you, Anni! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! Beautiful!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are spectacular in their breeding plumes. What a great site to see them up close and gets such beautiful photos. The egrets disappeared from our local wetlands and backyard lake about 2-3 weeks ago. Not sure where they all went.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, my, these are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely to see all of these photographs of the Egrets and their nest.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. These photos are awesome! You are an excellent photographer and I enjoy your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Anni. beautiful photos, so many egrets

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents