On the Road Again...


Bud and I have been playing catch-up with yard work that has been much neglected during the hot summer days.  This week I took a short drive, a detour, on my way home from the store. I had my camera with me in the trunk, and thought since I'm out and about, I might as well see if there are birds on the two lakes. I was in Flour Bluff, Texas and I just took the round-about way home.

I didn't see many birds other than doves and grackles along the thoroughfare, but surprisingly, once on the country road,  a couple of Anhingas were showing themselves! That means, to me, Autumn is fast approaching. Soon, the same area will be a winter stop over for the Sandhill Cranes! And COOLER days. lol
Tho few, these are what I spotted on the road thru Flour Bluff back country...


ANHINGA
Habitat map: Anhinga


CATTLE EGRET
Habitat map: Egret


GREAT EGRET
Habitat map: Egret


TURKEY VULTURE
Habitat map: Vulture


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:



Linking tool is now closed

14 comments:

  1. That was a productive little detour. Nice views of the Anhings and egrets. When I see those warty growths on a Turkey Vulture's face I wonder what survival benefit they may confer. Maybe their views of "ugly" and "attractive" conflict with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anni, I also loved your shots of the Anhings and Great Egrets. Only the mother of a Turkey Vulture. and another Turkey vulture can see their appeal.;:=) Good shot though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    It is always great to have your camera with you on any outing. The Anhinga and the Egrets are my favorites this week. Thanks for hosting! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you saw a few birds and also happy you included the vulture. they ae so important to our environment and they have disappeared from our neighborhood. it has been months since we have seen any of them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love taking a long way home. I did that yesterday but my problem was, there was no good place to pull over. But I enjoyed driving through horse country. Love those elegant anhingas. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am happy for you that signs of fall are in the air, and with it the promise of cooler weather. Relief is in sight! Anhingas are interesting birds to sit and observe for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Anhimga reminds me so much of our Cormorants! But I think anhinhas are quite a bit bigger...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great bird photos!
    Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The anhimga is a neat looking bird. Always love taking a detour on the way home. Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would dearly love to see the Anhingas...great photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful sightings! These are pretty pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely set of photos. While you have had it so hot, I think we have had out coolest summer ever here. We have only had very few days that have felt remotely summery. I hope this does not mean a very cold winter :-(
    Keep safe Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos! I remember seeing the anhingas in florida. Extraordinary birds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent photos! Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents