Another quiet birding week...this is getting to be a bit out of hand for me. But, things around the house need to be done, shopping needs to be done, cleaning house, and baking. My sister arrives late on Wednesday and I will pick her up at the airport then...we begin the celebrating of sisterhood, and the holidays. Plus, her birthday [79] will be New Year's Eve, so triple the fun. Anyway, I will share what few photos I've been able to get on my camera over the week while driving around the outskirts of town. Also, this will be my last post [there will be no linking tool after this one until a new one is set up on the 8th of January, 2022.]
A bit of unusual behavior from the heron...
TRI-COLORED HERON
Habitat map: Heron
When I exited the grocery store, I heard in the far distance, the calls of Sandhill Cranes. So, I figured I'd take the round about way home and travel the back roads. Near where there is a horse boarding ranch, I spied a few near the small watering hole...
>
SANDHILL CRANES
Habitat map: Crane
After spotting them there, I made a turn onto another ranch road where there is a much larger pond...no cranes there at the time, but many, many, black bellied whistling ducks. In this particular photo, you may count the turtles on the fallen tree. I think I counted 5. There may be more.
BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS
Habitat map: Ducks

Now share your birding experiences:
...and remember, this will be the last linking tool for 2021. Have a joyous, peaceful, happy, safe, and healthy holiday season! I appreciate all of you that follow this blog, AND those that faithfully link in to share your birds with all of us.
~Anni
i have never seen this kind of heron, he is really impressive. Sandhill Cranes are always so special! I wonder if they are still threatened or endangered? I hope you have a wonderful time with your sister, and a blessed Christmas! I will miss you.
ReplyDeleteDear Anni,
ReplyDeletethe TRI-COLORED HERON looks very interesting, I didn't know this bird either. Your sightings of the SANDHILL CRANES and BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS, which I also don't know, are wonderful. And I wouldn't have seen a single turtle if you hadn't mentioned it. So I think I recognize three ... or four?
I'm also taking a break from blogging. I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas and a good start into 2022! Have a great time with your sister - enjoy! 🎄🕯️✨
All the best, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/12/advent-2021-bei-den-rostrosen.html
We see Tri colored Herons but I haven't seen how much white they have when they lift their wings! Interesting! Enjoy your weekend. I have my Christmas decor to show on Monday and then I'll take a break. I hope you enjoy yours...especially with family fun! Holiday hugs!
ReplyDeleteYou managed some great sightings and photos despite the other engagements. Lovely shot of the Heron, especially with the water splash. The crane is so pretty. Happy holidays and celebration of sisterhood!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos! Enjoy your time with your sister and happy holidays!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni. Your Tri-coloured heron is in really prime condition, the bill alone is very striking, not to mention the plumage. once again, your finding the cranes by call is an object lesson in 50/50 birding, listening and looking. take a well earned break now and enjoy some quality family time like should all do. happy christmas.
ReplyDeletethat heron is amazing!!! so beautiful with wings spread. enjoy your family visit, we will be watiing
ReplyDeleteGreat captures...I wonder if the heron was doing that to cause a shadow and block some of the reflections....whatever the reason, you got some great photos.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos. Merry christmas and a happy new year !
ReplyDeleteFabulous set of photos. Sorry I have not been visiting I have masses of Photos but no time to get around to blogging!! Wishing you Happy holidays and all the best for 2022, may we all get back to living some sort of normal life once more, Cheers Diane
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,:=) Your Tricoloured Heron Photos are spectacular, and finding the Sandhill Cranes just by hearing their call is indicative of your experienced field work. They are very attractive birds. I also enjoyed seeing the whistling Ducks, ducks I haven't seen in a while.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a wonderful New Year with your sister, and then you can relax and enjoy the fruit of your labour. "Happy New Year Anni"
Anni, I can't seem to link up, would you mind doing it for me Please.
I have just seen that my post is there, so I managed after all.!
ReplyDeleteAnni, you KNOW I LOVE the COVER PHOTO!! I love watching behaviors...it is so informative!! So what was the heron up to? ...jp
ReplyDelete