It seems everywhere I want to go these days, to check for any bird life, there is road construction. I sat during my breakfast one morning to figure out where I could go with the least amount of detouring or, delays in traffic flow. Sunset Lakes? No! Bridge work. But, hopefully I can venture there on a Sunday when no work is being done on the 'day of rest'. The islands? No. More bridge work on the causeway here! Downtown to parks? Nope, road construction. Drive 50+ miles to Refugio Texas to the awesome park there? Ummmm, the Nueces River section of interstate is torn apart and getting a facelift! Oso Bay Wetlands? Ya, it's possible. There are two ways of getting there from home...both "under construction". In fact, in our own neighborhood, there is repaving residential streets! I guess I could go to Bazemore Park in Calallen Texas. Yes, a new highway is being built, but that has been going on for 3 years now, I know where to detour and get around it for the most part. Calallen Texas it is!!
Once I arrived around 6:45 or so in the morning, I drove the parkway around the circle drive, looking for early deer that normally feed on the grasses. I saw four. Two does and two yearlings. No bucks that day. It was fun to sit and watch the young ones at play. At the ponds, the larger pond was filled with widgeons, blue winged teals, and a few egrets on the banks. The smaller pond, several mergansers. One belted kingfisher.
Here are my photo shares for the day...
Once I arrived around 6:45 or so in the morning, I drove the parkway around the circle drive, looking for early deer that normally feed on the grasses. I saw four. Two does and two yearlings. No bucks that day. It was fun to sit and watch the young ones at play. At the ponds, the larger pond was filled with widgeons, blue winged teals, and a few egrets on the banks. The smaller pond, several mergansers. One belted kingfisher.
Here are my photo shares for the day...
HOODED MERGANSER
Habitat map: Merganser
AMERICAN WIGEON
Habitat map: Wigeon
SNOWY EGRETS
Habitat map: Egret
As I climbed down the embankment, among the willow trees, I reached the nearly dilapidated deck to wait for the kingfisher. She stopped and perched on the tree "knees" that jut out of the water's surface. I snapped some photos and left. Returning on the roadway, walking, she flew out of one willow tree and landed on the deck I had just left!!
I then climbed up the Hawkwatch Tower. No bird activity there, but birdsong...grackles, mockingbirds, and in the distance, a cardinal. I scanned the horizon to see if I could relocate the deer. Way off I found two in my viewfinder. Then, I saw something as I moved my camera side to side using the zoom as my scope....could this be just a fence post? Or a bird? I kept watching for more deer. Then, going back the direction I saw the post, it was gone. Nope, couldn't be a fence post afterall. But, even with the zoom lens it was way too far away...I snapped my shutter button anyway, before it left for a better environment...

LINKING TOOL IS NOW CLOSED
Oh how beautiful, Anni! I'm glad you found a way to reach this area. Yes, we have construction everywhere too! *gawd* Why they start stuff when they know snow is coming to our area (& will be here for months once it arrives) still baffles me... even after 65 years of it!! ~Andrea XOXOXO
ReplyDeleteWe too have roadworks everywhere with traffic lights that often stop working. Bah. Those hoodies are simply stunning I think. It's good you know your way around Anni. Lots would have gone home and watched TV. Thanks for the link today ☺️. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteThe Mergansers are stunning with their white markings and golden eyes. And I always love the crazy hairdo of the Kingfishers. Those are my favorites. Wow, your birding has been disrupted!
ReplyDeleteI guess it is the year for road costruction...actually there has been a couple years of it. I know it is needed but don't you wish you could snap your fingers and it be done! And it is not even big city driving here.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, it was worth the drive I think...I enjoyed seeing what you show.
Hello,
ReplyDeleteThe road work seems to be everywhere now, I am glad the are fixing the roads and bridges, it is necessary. The Hooded Mergansers are so pretty, one of my favorite ducks. Love the Egret, Kingfisher, the Sparrow and the hawk, great sightings and photos. Thanks for hosting and for linking up and sharing your post toady. Take care, enjoy your weekend.
...the Kingfisher is having a bad hair day, I can relate!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you got to get out too! It does the body AND soul good! Love those Snowy Egrets...why do I never see them? lol Love the Kingfisher and every bird you saw. Holiday hugs...oh love your banner too!
ReplyDeleteDespite whatever other irritations you might have in a day, a couple of Hooded Mergansers will set everything right!
ReplyDeleteYes, here in the UK we quite often have road works, which can be a good thing as we have too many pot holes on many of our roads and they do need repairing!
ReplyDeleteLoved seeing all of your photographs.
All the best Jan
it seems everything around you is getting renovated. My favorite this week is the Hooded Merganser couple.
ReplyDeleteDear Anni,
ReplyDeleteluckily you found a place to go without a construction site! And there you saw a lot of wonderful birds - I'm very happy for you!
I have a couple of seagulls today that we saw during our vacation in Italy. I know that's not much, but better than nothing ;-)
I wish you a wonderful pre-Christmas season and that there are still a few birdwatching tours.
All the best, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/12/italien-reisebericht-ausflug-ans-meer.html
you always find a way to get to bird country and maybe some day they will be done and you will have a clear way to your bird habitats. there beautiful. I thought of you yesterday when the biggest hawk I have ever seen flew just infront of my windshield, I missed hititing him but it scared me silly.
ReplyDeleteIt was definitely worth the drive to find the deer and birds that you saw. Common Mergansers are beautiful but the hooded ones are even more lovely. If we spot some once in a winter we're happy.
ReplyDeleteSomeone told us a large number of Snow Geese were feeding in a field that is still partly flooded. The road to get there is not in good shape having also been under water. Too bad. I would have liked to see them.
Wow! Beautiful photos, and I love your writing style. Enjoyed this post much.
ReplyDeleteWe have a lot of tree cutting going on up our way...probably preparing for Winter is my guess. I hate being stuck in traffic...for any reason...UGH!...But, I LOVE the shots of the "Hoodies", Anni! Aren't they beautiful!!!!...jp
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds! If the kingfisher is a "she," why not call it a queenfisher? (LOL.... sorry!)
ReplyDelete