It was another beautiful week weather-wise, and a couple of days I was able to hop in the car and head out for a bird search. I had planned on going out to Chapman Ranch area, but never got a chance. Maybe next week? I still haven't ID'd the sandpiper....Lesser? Yellowlegs? Or Greater? I'm thinking LESSER [note: Thanks to Phil, it's a Pectoral Sandpiper!!]. These are some of the ones I saw on the islands...

LAUGHING GULL
Habitat map: Gull
Habitat map: Teal
Habitat map: Avocet
Habitat map: Warbler
Habitat map: Warbler
Habitat map: Stilt


PECTORAL SANDPIPER
Habitat map: Sandpiper

Linking Tool is now closed






Hello Anni. I wonder about the size of your mystery sandpiper. The bill looks a little strong for a lesserlegs and wrong profile for Greater. I think it may be an adult Pectoral Sandpiper on it's way north. Interested what others think. Thanks for the link today. My favourite, black and white warbler!
ReplyDeleteThe Avocet photo is outstanding, and my favorite. Followed by the adorable Black & White Warbler. I would love to see one around here. What a great variety.
ReplyDeleteI hope those warblers start streaming up here to Connecticut. Yjr Orange-crowned and Pine Warblers have been reported but I have not seen any as yet. The the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper would be the closest in appearance, but this does appear to be a juvenile Pectoral Sandpiper. Nice find1
ReplyDeleteThe sharp tailed is far from Texas habitat tho.
Deleteall of these are gorgeous! the black and white birds, all of them are my favorites. the gulls are stunning. they look like someone posed them here for your camera. awesome shots
ReplyDeleteI would agree with Pectoral Sandpiper. They should be showing up here before too long.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, :=) Amazing variety of striking birds. The Laughing gulls and American Avocet are lovely captures, and the Black and White Warbler is a really pretty little bird, which you photographed so well. As always a delightful post.:=)
ReplyDeleteDear Anni,
ReplyDeleteI'm always amazed at how close you get to the birds. Your shots are so great. You have captured the BLUE WINGED TEAL in motion particularly well. Sensational!
Happy weekend!
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/03/von-fischen-die-tomaton-dungen-von.html
Beautiful photos!
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting I'd Rather B Birdin'
Great shots! I really like that sandpiper.
ReplyDeleteAll of these birds are gorgeous. Actually, I didn't know the names of most of these birds. I learned through your post. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteI love all your birds and photos. I am looking forward to seeing some migrant warblers. The American Avocets are one of my many favorites. Congrats on the Pectoral Sandpiper sighting. Thank you for hosting. Have a great day and a happy new week!
So, returning to your blog is like a reunion with old friends. Texas skies and beaches. A group portrait of American Avocets. Tourist warblers. Gulls, ducks and shorebirds - oh, my!
ReplyDeleteWe watched a pair of Black-necked Stilts mating a couple of days ago (inland, west-central Florida) and we always love encountering these elegant-looking ballet stars on their pink legs. The Pectoral Sandpiper with his sandy bill has us ready to head over to our own Gulf Coast spot. Shorebirds will soon be breeding. Can't wait to see new little fluff-ball chicks!
Thanks so much, Anni for the dose of salt air!
Oh, a big WOW for all the photographs.
ReplyDeleteMy favourite is the blue winged teal.
All the best Jan
Great set of photos. Sorry, I am struggling to keep up I will be back blogging eventually!
ReplyDeleteI hope all is well, Diane