Port Aransas Birding ....


I guess I'm making up for only have the one duck last week. This week, while on the islands, I saw very few birds. Even tho most of the birding hotspots had vacancy signs up. LOL. By that I mean, very little activity witnessed.  I think most of the local year 'round birds are busy nesting or raising young. And the migrants have left our area until their return trip in the Fall. In Port Aransas I saw these among others...


STILT SANDPIPER
[I think! It had signs of yellow green legs, but very muddy, and the rufous crown and fading tell-tale rusty spot with the white eye line, and its larger size...if I am mistaken, please correct me!]
Habitat map: Sandpiper


REDDISH EGRET [white morph]
Habitat map: Egret


NEOTROPIC CORMORANT [left] & DOUBLE CRESTED CORMORANT [right]
Habitat map: N Cormorant - DC Cormorant




TRI COLORED HERON
Habitat map: Heron


GALLINULE [MOORHEN] and chick
Habitat map: Gallinule


BLACK NECKED STILT
Habitat map: Stilt




GREAT TAILED GRACKLE
Habitat map: Grackle


BROWN PELICAN
Habitat map: Pelican


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:


LINKING TOOL IS NOW CLOSED

12 comments:

  1. Hello Anni,
    Nice variety of birds. I love the White morph Reddish Egret, Tricolored Heron and the Pelican, they are my favorites this week. Great photos. Thanks for hosting. Have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackpot! Wow, I would say you found the motherload. All wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. at our beaches we have herons, egrets, gulls, pelicans and sandpipers. hardly ever go there with out seeing all of them. the others I don't think I have seen. right now we have a sudden influx of black birds. some are big enought to sit and say Nevermore! some are small, some medium and some large, they are all Black is all I know and there are MANY of them. the jays dive bom them, and it gets really loud. I saw the Nevermore guy today on our walk, he is maybe 10 or 12 inches. BIG. and flickers are every where ratatattating and a few of the wood peckers that i have lost the name of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have not seen the white morph of the Reddish Egret. Maybe we will try for a vacation on North Padre Island, some day. Neat shots especially of the Tricolored and the grackle. Peep looks good for Stilt. Nice, two Stilts on one page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos!
    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, the Heron is absolutely stunning. What fabulous pictures you got of him. and the Grackle photos are wonderful. We have the Boat Tailed ones; I don't know if these are the same. The Stilt has pretty pink legs. And I have never heard of a Stilt Sandpiper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful birds, Anni. I must admit that I identify with the Grackle on most days, it seems. *haha* ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fine shots! We would appreciate the grackle more if we had bird vision.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the way you tell it Anni. "Vacancy". We are in the same stage here, everything just goes quiet and then by early July bursts into life again. I'm sure you are correct about the Stilt Sandpiper and of course I'm loving the grackle even though I know they are not the most popular birds over your way. Have a great Sunday and thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anni: I delayed leaving a comment until I could research the sandpiper a little more, and I think you are correct. It is a Stilt Sandpiper, always a nice bird. Happy Sunday --- David

    ReplyDelete
  11. The black stilt shots are really fantastic! What great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Although migration has almost ended, you live in area with such wonderful habitat that you're still able to find a good selection of birds. This is really a wonderful series of images and makes me ready to head to the coast. In a few days!

    I think you're right about the Stilt Sandpiper. Nice!

    Thank you for sharing your beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents