The first bird I sighted was a Bronze Cowbird! My first thought, "there must be a nest around somewhere close-by". And not theirs! In other words they are what I call "stealth bombers"! The female, after mating, lays her eggs in OTHER birds' nests. A bit parasitic in nature.

BRONZED COWBIRD
Habitat map: Cowbird
And sure enough, just a few dozen yards beyond this sighting, I spied a nest. It was for the clutch of Scissortailed Flycatchers.


SCISSORTAILED FLYCATCHER
Habitat map: Flycatcher



PAINTED BUNTING
Habitat map: Bunting
Three photos then....& "Elvis has left the building".


BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS
Habitat map: Ducks
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
linking tool is now closed
And sure enough, just a few dozen yards beyond this sighting, I spied a nest. It was for the clutch of Scissortailed Flycatchers.


SCISSORTAILED FLYCATCHER
Habitat map: Flycatcher
After getting photos here, I continued my trek to the observation tower about 1/2 mile away as the crow flies. Along the way where the paved trail ends, and the caliche trail begins, as the trail continues an uphill incline, I sighted in on a 'clump' in the middle of the trail! Quite a distance from me, as it began to move about. Could it be a bird? I raised my viewfinder and focused on it...a male Painted Bunting!! I approached closer yet, and it seemed to have no fear. But, I took no chances and zoomed in on it before it realized I was human, and flew off into the brush country!



PAINTED BUNTING
Habitat map: Bunting
Three photos then....& "Elvis has left the building".
When I climbed the observation tower, there was very little water below me in the bay. And very few birds. I watched two gulls soaring high above, listened to a couple of Willets calling but never spotted them, a Little Blue Heron flew off to disappear, and all that was left were Two Black Bellied Whistling Ducks at the water's edge. And you know me by now, I have a bird foot fetish. I find bird feet most interesting and how the are adapted to the species life-style...


BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS
Habitat map: Ducks

linking tool is now closed
The Painted Bunting is a beautiful bird and neat to photograph. Wish I was talented enough to do it in watercolors! Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteI like the feet of birds also and this painted bunting is awesome. I have never seen a live one anywhere, just photos. what a find...
ReplyDeleteI agree that the ducks have such interesting feet. And the Bunting!! It really does look like someone painted it, not naturally occurring. What a successful outing!
ReplyDeleteYou sighted some very pretty birds. The Painted bunting and whistling ducks are among my favourites this week. Lovely shots!
ReplyDeleteI had forgotten about the cowbird laying in other bird's nests! When I used to feed the birds, sometimes they were almost as bad as the starlings. But they did not seem to stick around. I would love to see a painted bunting in real life. They are so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWhat a treat for the eyes these images are! Must say the bunting is most spectacular, but it does not diminish the others.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds! Thank you very much
ReplyDeleteThe Painted Bunting is right up there at the top of my bird bucket list. You homed in on a pretty superb example there Anni. I guess he has no trouble finding a gal or two! yes, birds feet are very interesting and it is said that artists drawing birds have most difficulty in depicting the feet, often hiding them in water or along a branch in vegetation rather than getting the drawing 100% correct.
ReplyDeletePainted Bunting and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher are two of the birds most visitors to south Texas wish to see, I am quite sure. I have a fair degree of contact with expert woodcarvers and they universally agree that the feet are the most difficult. That is the reason, at least in part, that ducks are often presented in a decoy mode.
ReplyDeleteOh the colors today, Anni!!! That Painted Bunting is beyond words!! Gorgeous!! ~Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeleteGreat sightings and the painted bunting is glorious.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan