In Port Aransas...


For over a month here there hasn't been much birding. We have a huge contractual piece of work on our home scheduled, and I've spent a lot of time lining up workers for estimates and have finally set up a company to do our work for us. Actually, it's a job of work that Bud and I could NEVER do. We both don't have the knowledge OR the equipment.  But, I hope to take pictures and share on my personal blog later in September when the work is complete. In the meantime, I only took one daytrip of birding for only a couple of hours. The highlight of my outing was seeing the one bird I've been on the hunt for for several weeeks. When I first spotted it, it was at a great distance from me, but soon she flew directly overhead...


MAGNIFICENT FRIGATEBIRD
Habitat map: Frigatebird
The Magnificent Frigatebird is characterized by extremely long, pointed wings, the longest wings for any bird in comparison to overall body weight. They are most commonly seen soaring, dipping down close to the water's surface to pick up food items, but never landing or swimming in the water. They are primarily a coastal species, but on occasion can be found inland.

For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:



Linking tool is closed.

14 comments:

  1. Glad you couold get out to get such nice photos of the Magnificent Frigatebird. They are such remarkable birds. I think they can sleep while soaring, putting only one half of their brain to sleep at a time. Good luck with your major construction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anni,
    Congrats on your Frigatebird bird sighting. Wonderful photos. Thank you for hosting, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is a beautiful bird! I hope you get your work done soon. Fall is a better birding time for us, maybe you too! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anni. Magnificent is the correct word for this species. I watched them in Dominican Republic as they terrorised every other species, mostly Franklin's Gulls.You took some great photos there. Good luck with the building work and thanks for the link up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you got to see your bird, Anni. She knew you wanted to catch a glimpse of her so she flew closer. :-) I'm glad the work on your home is all squared away...at least the most important part which, to me, is picking out who's going to do the work. There are lots of jobs around a home that should be left to specialists and I'm glad you folks realize that. So many do not...egads! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always a very interesting species to observe. Good luck with your your house repairs, Good contractors are hard to find so I hope your careful selection will pay dividends for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. at first read I thought you said friggin bird, LOL. I have never seen a frigatebird, or even heard of one and now I have and now I have to ponder for weeks what you are havig done to your house. a pool? additonal room to hold your witch collection? hot tub? new deck? front porch?

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, dear Anni, you are very busy at the moment and have little time for birding, but the bird you saw is a chapter in itself! I have never seen a MAGNIFICENT FRIGATEBIRD before - truly a magnificent specimen! I think that could have been a godsend, a little compensation for the stressful days... Anyway, I'm very happy for you about this wonderful sighting!
    Happy weekend and all the best!
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/08/blackout-teil-2-krisensicher-durch.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, this is a real feather in your birding cap, so to speak! It is such a large impressive bird! And I am so curious about your house job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magnificent indeed! Hope your construction work gets over soon and you can do full birding soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots! Love seeing birds in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whooo Hooooo! Big job to be done! Hooray, because I'll bet, whatever it is, it will improve your quality of life. Even if it's new paint job here and there.

    And you don't strike me as people who do stuff frivolously so whatever it is, it is needed.

    No birds here, other than the usual ones who live here. :-)

    Personal blog??? Is that diff than this one???? if so what am I misssssing???!!?? LOL

    🌿🍃🌿

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents