Hmmmmm, remind me why we relocated to Coastal Texas again? Warm, mild, winters. Averaging 70 degrees [F] in winter. Not happening!!!! It's been cold, cold, cold!! Near freezing temps for the last week. Windchill at freezing. If you watch the news at all, you no doubt have seen the ice storms in North Texas this past week; which reached our area also. But without ice. I got out with several layers and walked a park downtown, only to see absolutely NO birds, and quickly retreated back into the heated transport! My goodness. I haven't been warmed up much since. So, once again most of my birding has been thru the window. Oh, I did go and stop on the way home from the store at a small lake...lakeview park and got out, snapped a few water birds, and yes...again, nearly ran back to the car for heat. Forecast is promising a warm-up this weekend. Much needed for this old soul!!!
The Sandhill Cranes were from the car window...



The cormorants and Black Bellied Whistling Ducks were nearby at a small pond.

At Lakeview Park...



Also, at same lake...I watched an Anhinga. These photos definitely depict their nickname "Snakebird"!!
- ...The Anhinga is also known as the snake-bird for its habit of swimming with its body submerged in the water and just its long thin head and neck visible. Unlike cormorants that catch fish in their bills, Anhinga spear fish, flip them into the air and swallow them headfirst...



From top to bottom:
Sandhill Crane
Cormorant - Black Bellied Whistling Duck
American White Pelican
Cormorant
Black Bellied Whistling Duck
Anhinga

Linking Tool is now closed
Hello, Anni
ReplyDeleteIt is really cold here too, in the teens. The wind chill makes it much worse. You did get to see some of my favorite birds. The Whistling Ducks , the Sandhill Cranes, the White Pelican and the Anhinga are all awesome. Thanks for hosting. Have a great weekend.
Sandhill Cranes are exceedingly elegant birds and deal with the cold better than humans I suspect!
ReplyDeleteWe've had colder than usual days here too, but not nearly as bad as that. Stay warm -- it will be over soon (I hope). Sandhills are wonderful and I love the Whistling Ducks.
ReplyDeletetoo cold for birds is really cold for you and for the birds. we went in the 80's for a few days and this morning back to 54, but it warmed up quickly. nothing like your cold. the world is rocking on its axis and now we wait to see what happens since we just shot down the Chinese baloon..
ReplyDeletethe 3rd sand crane is my favorite, so very beautiful. that said. I like the ones seen through the fence, it adds texture . gorgeous. you did good
Our daytime temperatures have been hovering just above freezing. No ice or snow, but a full week of very cold rain!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos!
Thanks for hosting!
Burr! You did get some really nice shots. Thank you
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteWaterfowls by the lake are always my go to spot for birding.
Considering the weather, and that you were freezing, you got excellent photos! I did not know this info about anhingas, it is so interesting! And you were able to get such descriptive shots!
ReplyDeleteI'd say you were extremely successful as I love these photos. I have only seen those sandhill cranes once before when traveling across country years ago. Loved the photos Anni, thank you!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos in the cold weather. I knew Anhinga only by its common names, Oriental Darter and Snake bird. They visit here too and it’s good fun watching them spear and swallow fish.
ReplyDeleteLove those drive-by cranes. You did well while avoiding frostbite! We went down to 9.4 degrees below zero this morning with -25 degree chill factor. Never set a foot outside!
ReplyDeletetexas is tricky but the last few winters have been kind of harsh. my son lives in austin and it's been freezing there and they got the ice!!
ReplyDeleteBUT...you have some beautiful images here, i think the whistling duck was my favorite, it reminded me of texwis girl!!
Dear Anni,
ReplyDeleteyes, we also saw such Anhingas in Costa Rica - fascinating birds that can also twist their necks like corkscrews ;-DDD And you saw interesting other birds, too.
It's also cold in Austria too, especially with an icy wind - but here we're more used to cold temperatures than you in Texas. I hope you warm up again soon! Anyway, I'll send you some Costa Rican warmth to your linkup! :-)
ALL THE BEST, have a good February,
Traude
❤️
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/02/costa-rica-4-kapitel-streifzug-durch.html
Hello Anni :=)
ReplyDeleteYour shots are Fantastic with a capital F. In spite of the freezing temperatures your cold hands and your camera made magic again. I just love the closeup captures of the Anhinga and the Cormorant, and the info about the Anhinga was interesting. I didn't know about their fishing habits, and wish I could see one flipping a fish in real life. I hope your weather does warm up Anni.
All the best.
Nice photos! It was really cold here in Virginia too, but got better today.
ReplyDeleteHi, I enjoyed your post. I had no idea about the Anhinga. That was so interesting to learn and your photos are fantastic.
ReplyDeleteCarla from The River