Rarity Along the Coastal Bend...


If you've read any of my posts on my personal blog, Hootin' Anni's, you'd know by now that Bud and I have been chasing a certain bird that has been recorded this past month as a RARE Bird. In fact, this particular elusive bird is the FIRST ever recorded in our state. And those of us that live in Corpus Christi are the privileged ones to have it visit us. The two of us have been going out to the bay where it was spotted several times over the last three weeks in the extreme temperatures for only about 1/2 hour at a time. I know, I know, that doesn't give us much time...but I've been scolded by my physician a gazillion times to stay out of the bright, hot sun, when the heat index is above the century mark. Short times it is then. If I didn't find the bird, so be it. But, one morning, very early, we were out on the shores of the bay...tracking through the slimy muddy mudflats when another older couple was there with a scope. Still very distant from the shore. I asked if I could look through the scope to get a 'bird's eye view' of this European visitor. The kind gentleman obliged me. I then knew exactly where to point my camera with the zoom lens extended out as far as it went. The bird was active; moving swiftly as it foraged for food - keeping company with sandpipers, marbled godwits, egrets, plovers by the hundreds, sandpipers, herons and a whole slew of curlews. The sun was barely up off the Gulf's horizon and the heat was beginning to build up already. I snapped a few photos, hoping I'd captured the godwit, and then thanked them for pointing it out to us and allowing me use of their scope and then turned around a left for our long walk back to the car across the vast expanse of MORE of the mudflats and salt water plants at our encrusted, heavy mud-laden shoes.

Speaking of the mudflats, about 6 years ago, where Bud and I walked to the bird spotting...it USED to be all under water...now, with the 5 year drought, there is less and  less water requiring you walk the flats for about 1/4 mile or so to get to the shallows.  This has been the norm for this area lately. At the beginning of this post, I took a photo of my own footprint alongside a heron footprint. My shoe size is 7  [European size conversion 36.5]. HUGE bird!! 

The bird, at first only specified as the one that is found in Northern Continental Americas, and only during breeding season in the Tundra...then along came the experts in ornithology; information shared that it was of the European areas of the world. From what I see online and little tidbits in my guide books, this bird is probably going from the summer plumage to the winter colors. Heck, I was doing real well if I actually knew what I was looking for to begin this birding expedition. I've often seen the marbled species but NEVER this. Ever.  The distinguishing marks are the striped tail, the grayish legs and lighter in color than other godwits...and generally, smaller in size.



...Seriously, this godwit was all over the place -VERY ACTIVE- and hard to follow. A zoomed-in image of the rare godwit:



...and a long-billed curlew seen the same morning:




BAR TAILED GODWIT [RARE - 1st recording in Texas USA]
-take note of striped tail feather in 1st bird photos and close up  this distinguishes the "bar tail" name
photo taken: Oso Bay - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat range: Bar-Tailed Godwit of Tundra Breeding only [I couldn't find a decent European map...but read this: HERE. Ranging from Europe, Asia, Africa and North America, as well as Australia and New Zealand.

MARBLED GODWITS  [upcurved bills]
photo taken: Oso Bay - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat range: Marbled Godwit

SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER? [because of the black legs & beak?]
photo taken: Oso Bay - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat range: Semiplamated Sandpiper [comparison image]

LONG BILLED CURLEW [rufous belly & down curved bill]
photo taken: Oso Bay - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat range: Curlew

Now share your birding experiences:





25 comments:

  1. These are beautiful birds with long beaks :)
    Have a happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shorebirds! The curlews have such an impressive bill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Anni, the chase of a rare bird is exciting.. So happy you were able to see this Godwit.. Great photos and post. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Anni, thanks so much for linking up and sharing your post with my critter party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the Bar-tailed!!! You obtained a nice photo, which I did not expect while reading your narrative about how far away it was. My heron in today's post is unusual but by no means rare, but it was a thrill to see it visit our back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I haven't been lucky enough to come across a rare species this summer, I've known and loved that feeling a few times. First just seeing the Bar-Tailed Godwit is a big deal, and then to get the photograph. Wow! You did really well with your photographs, Anni, and the thrill you felt came through beautifully too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great observations, our curlews are very shy birds and not so easy to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on finding your rare bird!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Bar-tailed Godwit is a beauty. Congratulations on finding him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures Anni. Waders or shore birds are my favourite so I love looking at your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice shorebirds. don't see too many here but have had a few at the pond. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, a GODWIT!!! And an excellent picture! Also of the curlew, what a beak that guy has!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Anni on catching up with the Bar-tailed Godwit

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very exciting Anni, he is an absolute beauty! Congratulations! I also enjoyed your shoe size next to the heron's foot print and all the other birds of course :) I linked up today. Very happy I have a couple of bird photos for you, even though it was a ways off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos, interesting post and great info - as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the Bar-Tailed Godwit. We were able to scope several Semipalmated Sandpipers last week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm pleased you saw that rea rarity for your area Anni. Sounds like a hot and sticky trudge through the sludge but it looks like it was worth it. Bar-tailed Godwits are very common here, but also very wary and do you know I haven't a single picture of one in my archives? You beat me to it.

    Thanks for the weekend party and take care in all that heat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the Godwit! It's always special to see a new/rare bird.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How exciting!!!! I loved your photos and applaud your persistence! Love the curlew also. Very neat, both of them. And, boy, what a BIG heron footprint. Looks like you traveled back in time to a prehistoric era! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. beautiful shore birds, that heron foot print is huge!! many thanks for the invite, i always forget!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! I'm glad you got to document these wonderful birds, and I can't believe that heron footprint!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on finally seeing such a rare find! Exciting isn't it?! Glad you saw it and shared.

    ReplyDelete
  23. cool to have the footprints to measure the length. m glad you could see te Godwit. I have seen them a couple of times and enjoyed it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful colors, these water birds and their beaks are really long. Especially on the last picture:-)

    Warmest regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh how exciting... I'm sure you all were SO excited to see that rare bird. The Godwit is a gorgeous bird... I'm so glad you saw him/them.... Beautiful!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents