This first bird image I share...well, it caught my attention right off the bat. As it was foraging along the mudflats where reed once was, I noticed a word near it's right coverts on the flank. With the naked eye I could read it very clearly. As I raised my camera to snap a photo of it the bird had turned to retrace its steps leaving me without a photo of what I saw. I waited, and waited. Anxious to have it turn again so I could get a photo. I was wondering if I was seeing things that weren't there. Once I got home and uploaded the images for the day's outing, the right side was clearly visible. The word "O L D". Can you see it as I do?
![]() |
| Least Sandpiper in Summer Colors |
...for those that can't see the word, I outlined it in red in this extra image of the same...

Driving a bit further down the road to a dried up pond where the woods are dense and overgrown [in need of volunteers getting in there and cleaning up the place - just a bit!], Bud and I only spotted two different species...one a dove:
![]() |
| Eurasian Collared Dove |
And, as we were leaving the area at high noon... a lady ladderbacked was busy in the willow tree...
![]() |
| Female Ladderbacked Woodpecker |
...still further down the road we stopped at Charlie's Pasture and found this along the shore of the pond...
![]() |
| Lesser Yellowlegs |
LESSER YELLOWLEGS - EURASIAN COLLARED DOVE - LADDERBACKED WOODPECKER - LEAST SANDPIPER
photos taken: Mustang Island - in/around Port Aransas, Texas
habitat ranges: Least Sandpiper - Ladderbacked Woodpecker - Eurasian Collared Dove - Lesser Yellowlegs
TRIVIA: The Eurasian Collared-Dove’s species name, decaocto, comes from Greek mythology. Decaocto was a servant girl transformed into a dove by the gods to escape her unhappy treatment; the dove’s mournful cry recalls her former life.
Now, share your birding experiences:




Nice photos of the shorebirds! I've never seen a Ladderbacked woodpecker. Very handsome!
ReplyDeleteWhat amazing photos ot the birds ! It is a great pleasure to watch such gorgeous birds !
ReplyDeleteHave a nice weekend :)
I see the word! That is amazing!
ReplyDeleteAnni, pretty series on the shorebirds and dove.. I can not find the word. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteI seem to have managed to make a double entry. Have no clue of how that happened. :) Did not think it was possible.
ReplyDeleteLove those beautiful waders. :)
Funny-- I noticed the odd pattern as if the bird had chalk marks, then read your comment! How unusual. We have stayed on Mustang Island a couple of times and really enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteI love the shore birds and the woodie. Thank you for hosting, Anni!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, I guess that means that the bird is very old!!! I saw it before you even outlined it, amazing.
ReplyDeleteHaving been forgetting to tell you that I love your new header!!!
ReplyDeleteI spotted the old word Anni but I'm not sure I would have done so without your help. Maybe it's a word with special relevance to those of a certain age?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the help, Anni! Now I went back to the shot without the outline and can see the word.
ReplyDeletePS Anni, Thank you for sharing your post with Saturday's Critters. Have a happy weekend!t
ReplyDeleteGreat shots, Anni. More of your interesting captures. My wrinkles pretty much say the same as the bird's markings, old.
ReplyDeleteLovely birds.
ReplyDeletewe get to see a yellowlegs here now and again - greater, i think. :)
ReplyDeleteA funny observation and beautiful birds.
ReplyDeleteOld indeed. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI've never even heard of a Ladderbacked Woodpecker! And I've certainly never seen birds with writing on their wings until today - I can clearly see the word 'old'! Great post :)
ReplyDeleteGreat set of photos today, Anni. I can definitely see the OLD word, interesting! I wonder if I'm tagged with that word somewhere and just don't realize it, lol. Love the collared dove, we have a pair of them at our place. I've never seen a Ladderbacked Woodpecker before. Thank you for sharing them!
ReplyDeleteOh, I always enjoy unfamiliar BEAUTIFUL birdies in your picture♡♡♡ Especially dove is quite different appearance :-) I wish I could have pictures to link this week... Hard for my environment(^^;)
ReplyDeleteSending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*
I do love shore birds so the Sandpiper and Lesser Yellowlegs are lovely to see.
ReplyDeleteI remember seeing sandpipers in Scotland years ago - doves though I see quite regularly round here.
ReplyDeletenever thought I would see a word on a bird. It´s like finding figures in the clouds. Love it.
ReplyDeleteI've never seen a ladderback woodpecker. Nice selection of shore birds. Every time I see a sandpiper and I start hearing the theme song from the Elizabeth Taylor/Richard Burton movie.
ReplyDeletefascinating photo of the bird with the word OLD on it
ReplyDeleteWoodpecker that I find really special and nice to see Anni, but also your other birds are quite nice. Next time I will again try to put there a link. Do this every Saturday or is it changing?
ReplyDeleteWarmest regards, Helma
Hello Anni! Spotting the word old in the feathers was well observed, I see it too. The Ladderbacked Woodpecker is one I never see here, but would love to, and also the Green one you showed in an earier post was a treat to see.
ReplyDeleteHave a good week,
You have quite the critical eye!! I could not see OLD until you outlined it in red. Very cool!! So neat that you see so many birds. Marvelous photos as well. Isn't Mustang Island where the birds stop off to rest during migration? I've got to visit there!
ReplyDeleteThose ladderbacks are hard to capture, aren't they? Busy little bug eaters, lol! Enjoyed your post, Anni and thanks for hosting!
ReplyDeleteNice set of images - and I love the word "old" on the bird. Nice catch!
ReplyDeleteOkay I am a laughing this morning that you saw OLD in that birds feathers! :)
ReplyDeleteHad to check out your Bird Blog this week...Seeing your dove reminded me our ours. We have Mourning Doves here --and I have had 4 visitors to my feeders all summer... BUT--the other morning, hubby found a bunch of Dove feathers in the yard.. Uh OH---a hawk got one of them. NOW--there are only three around....
ReplyDeleteGreat bird pictures.
Hugs,
Betsy
What an interesting myth!
ReplyDelete