Very little activity a few weeks ago at the Port Aransas Birding Center [aka Leonabelle Turnbull Nature Center]. We haven't been there recently but want to make a return trip now that here in South Texas some migrants are being spotted sporadically. Never the less, some of the water birds were viewed through my viewfinder. After taking notice of the Least Bittern, I was busy watching the great green hunter...the Green Heron as it stalked, caught, consumed and then dashed over into the reed. Then, spotted a Royal Tern at the Marine Science Lab [University of Texas Marine Research] near the Port Jetty...
 |
| Least Bittern |
 |
| Green Heron |
 |
| Green Heron |
 |
| Green Heron |
 |
| "I used muscles I never knew I had...ouch!" |
 |
| "Pilates...it's all about body balance." |
 |
| Royal Tern |
ROYAL TERN, little GREEN HERON, LEAST BITTERN
photos taken: Port Aransas Birding Center and Marine Research Lab - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat maps:
Royal Tern,
Green Heron,
Least Bittern
Now, share your birding experiences:
Golly, I can still remember my first sighting of a Least Bittern-- I just checked and was amazed to find that it was 65 years ago! I have seen them only infrequently since then, and still have not gotten a "knockout" photo of one. (Why is it now so important to take its picture when I can remember that first one so vividly?) Nice shots and interesting commentary!
ReplyDeleteMy poor attempt at humor?!! LOL
DeleteThanks for the compliment Ken...and enjoyed reading your memory of your first bittern also!!
Wow ! Wonderful birds and great shots !
ReplyDeleteHave a nice weekend :)
...thanks Ela!!
Deletehave never seen a bittern. great shots of the green!
ReplyDelete...thanks Ms. T!!!
DeleteWow, Anni. These are incredible images. Thank you kindly for inviting me to link, although my photo is not very crisp/clear - I just grabbed the camera and shot before the chicks ran back thru the fence!
ReplyDeleteI am honored that you would ask me to join.
My college girlfriend grew up on a farm and collected eggs. We always loved to visit with her during college weekends. In fact, she and 3 other of my college friends will be visiting in a few weeks. It's been 6 years since our last reunion.
Thanks again for you kindness and I wish you a great afternoon.
Sound like a fun, good time ahead. I bet you're getting excited. Thanks Mildred.
DeleteThe heron is a very handsome bird. Have a great weekend, Anni!
ReplyDelete...thanks Gunilla
DeleteWOW!!! Your photo of the Green heron! The first photo is amazing! Up close, sharp and clear, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It has made my day. And look at the colors on that wing! It looks like mosaic.This photo could easily be in National Geographic! And the bittern...bitterns are so secretive and hidden, you did great detective work!
ReplyDeleteYou really made my day Ginny!! Thank you so much.
DeleteLOVE that first picture of the green heron, Anni! And the one of his hanging onto the edge of that stem! :-) Wow! great shots of these beautiful water birds!
ReplyDelete...thanks. Glad you enjoyed the images I shared this week.
DeleteThey're fantastic pictures. Beautiful closeups and such great colours!!
ReplyDelete...thanks Adam...I appreciate your positive feedback.
DeleteWOW! those. Heron shots are superb and I love the Royal tern.
ReplyDeleteAwesome Green heron shots! They are one of my favorite herons.. Thanks for hosting, Anni! Happy weekend!
ReplyDelete...glad you enjoyed the images Eileen.
DeleteAnni, I had to stop back and say thanks for linking up to my critter party.. Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDelete...thanks Eileen for allowing me to add my link!!!
DeleteTerrific Green Heron photos. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete...thank YOU Doug.
Deletewow, fantastic shots, especially love that green heron!
ReplyDelete...thanks Carole...the green heron seems to be a favorite of all.
DeleteNice captures!
ReplyDelete...thanks Janice
DeleteGreat shots...love the green heron!
ReplyDelete...thanks Susan.
DeleteI absolutely love the green heron shots. Beautiful captures! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know about the link up here. I will bookmark you if I happen to have more bird shots.
ReplyDelete...that'll be great Stephanie!! Your sharing is a great way to see the birds of the world...
DeleteHi Anni,
ReplyDeleteI have added my link as you asked.
Your photos of the Green heron are really superb and very lively!
Well done!
Enjoy your weekend!
I appreciate you coming by and adding your link to your wonderful post.
DeleteWow!!! Least Bittern, Green Heron, SO beautiful and magnificent♡♡♡ I admire your camera skill as well!
ReplyDeletePS> So sorry for my belated linking; I had Soba-noodle guests and was busy today.
Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*
Your adding your link anytime Miyako is good!!! Thanks.
Delete...thanks Mildred...I viewed it...wonderful info and great photos!!
ReplyDeleteAnni, I'm really jealous of you seeing a Least Bittern so well and photographing it just sneaking through the reeds like that. Over here we have only the Bittern, in tiny numbers in the whole of the UK and so secretive that a glimpse is the best one can hope for.
ReplyDeleteWith luck I'll see a Little Bittern in Menorca in May but otherwise no little coloured herons for me. Think I'll have to pay a visit to Texas.
Thanks for the birding party.
Just about anywhere in Texas is a good birding spot!!! Good luck in Menorca...hope you'll be able to spot one.
DeleteYou took some wonderful shots of that Green Heron. He's so beautiful! Would love to see one sometime.
ReplyDelete...they are pretty!! Someday I'm vowing to get it when its crest is up.
DeleteWonderful captures!
ReplyDelete...thanks Pat
DeleteLove your new blog layout. Happy Sunday!!
ReplyDeleteMersad
Mersad Donko Photography
...thanks Mersad
DeleteStunning colors and contrast. Fabulous!
ReplyDelete...thanks JoAnn.
Deletethe images of the green heron are simply spectacular!!! the royal tern is a beauty as well!! many thanks for the invite, i never remember to link my birds here!!! sorry!!!!
ReplyDelete...thank YOU for adding your link this weekend Debbie.
DeleteThe green Heron is a gret bird. And I like it´s colors even if it hard to see them in dusk. As I tried to in Costa Rica. :)
ReplyDelete...they are difficult to get good images unless the sun is out and on the bird. I have several I saw in a tree and can hardly tell what bird it is.
DeleteStunning photos and great birds.
ReplyDelete...thanks Christian
DeleteOkay, so I commented. I know I did. Love the green heron and the tern!
ReplyDeleteI've had the same problem lately....Blogger is playing tricks again.
DeleteBeautiful shots, Anni!! Loved the pilates reference and other funny captions. That tern is absolutely gorgeous.You did good, girl!
ReplyDelete...thanks Gail.
DeleteLoving the colours on the first Green heron shot in particular!
ReplyDeletePete (Melbourne, Australia)
...thanks Pete!!
DeleteHi There, I try to switch out between your other blog and this wonderful Bird one. SO--today I am HERE.... I love the Royal Tern--but today, that first picture of the Green Heron is one of the best I've seen. I had never noticed such beautiful colors on them before. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Betsy
...thanks for stopping by and adding your wonderful positive feedback.
DeleteWow- the green heron is gorgeous...I have to put him on my list! Love all your shots of this beauty.
ReplyDelete...thanks Terri. They can be a bit elusive, you have too look in the densest areas mostly. I lucked out and found one out in the open.
Delete...it's 'wild' in a different sense....your roadrunner is fantastic Felicia.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni!:) Wow! Fantastic shots! How amazing it would be to see any of these birds in the wild. Your Green Heron close up is stunning, love the colour.
ReplyDelete...thanks!!!!
DeleteOhhhhhhhh .... great !!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteEspecially your second picture vindik magnificent. What a beautiful bird and what a great color. Very Nice and here I am quite a bit jealous though.
...thank you Helma.
DeleteYikes, I almost forgot to link up! Thank you Anni!!!!
ReplyDelete...we don't want you to forget!!! Your photos are so worth joining us with your link!!!
Delete