Grassy Field Sparrow....wait, A Savannah?


This week, I'm gonna just add a variety of birds. One in particular I'm not sure of the ID, but will hopefully give it its correct name. So without further ado, I share these:

The first pair of photos is of a dove species that is quite common in most areas of the USA...but here in South Coastal Texas, it's scarce. So, it was a treat to spot this as I was walking up the wooden plank to the lookout gazebo on the small reed pond in the area...

MOURNING DOVE
photos taken: Packery Channel Audubon Sanctuary - Padre Island, -Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Mourning Dove


These two photos of the snowy egret were taken on a chilly, bright, sunny day. After finishing up its preening, the feathers were flowing in the breeze...
SNOWY EGRET
photos taken: Hans Suter Reserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Snowy Egret


Another white water bird I show below is the white morph of the Reddish Egret I shared last week. Quoting from the Audubon Society's website I add this little ditty: "...notable for its two color morphs. Reddish Egrets are either dark or white for life, beginning with the downy stage in the nest. Mated pairs may be of the same or different color morphs, and broods of young may include either or both morphs. Over most of range, dark birds are far more numerous."
REDDISH EGRET -White Morph
photos taken: Sunset Lakes - Portland, Texas
habitat map: Reddish Egret

Another wording for Savannah is GRASSY FIELD...I found this little booger in the grassy field...so, a Savannah?  [insert wink]The last pair this week I share which I hopefully correctly identified. [sparrows are oftentimes so similar, ID'ing them calls for a bit of researching...at least for me], the Savannah Sparrow has a noticeable pale yellow streak above its eye and often not noticeable. Nope, no yellow streak.  But the other possible sparrow would be the Vesper, and by the guide books illustrations, they're much darker/browner and no head streak variation in colors.  So...I'm going with the Savannah unless you expert birders inform me otherwise...
SAVANNAH SPARROW[?]
photos taken: Packery Channel Oak Motte - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Savannah Sparrow

Now share your birding experiences:







For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

29 comments:

  1. That's nice to see your lovely photos and these gorgeous birds !
    Have a happy weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four good choices for this week's edition Anni. Love the fluffed up Snowy. I had to refer to my copy of Sibley re the Sparrow and personally I'd also plump for Savannah based on the facial pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to see these beautiful images. Sparrows can be so difficult to ID.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anni, wonderful shots of the birds. Just wonderful from the sweet Mourning Dove, the beautiful Egrets and the Savannah Sparrow.. Great sightings and photos. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the snowy egret. Those feathers are amazing. Have a great weekend, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The egret is awesome! These are two of the most beautiful bird photos I have ever seen! We have lots of doves in our yard, but I have never gotten such good pictures of them. Yours are beautiful, and I love the way you captured the blue eye ring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a pretty sparrow no matter what the type. love the reddish egret in white morph!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It might be a Vesper's Sparrow. Savannah Sparrows have a yellow spot near their eye. He's a cutie whatever he is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those fluffy images of the snowy egret. It looks as if it had a coat on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Snowy Egret looks like a beautiful diva. Cute little Sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cry of the mourning dove is one of my favorite sounds. So peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is the first time I have seen a Reddish Egret in White Morph. He's beautiful but then so are the other birds. Thanks for hosting Anni. I have just linked up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the beautiful Egret photos! - Thanks for sharing and hosting. - I always love visiting your site and the links.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe the mourning doves came from Virginia to escape the bitter cold.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well defined profile of doves and sparrows. Look at those beautiful round eyes of doves and brown streaks on plumage of dainty sparrows!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice photos! I've never yet seen the white morph of the Reddish Egret, since I rarely go out to coastal areas. I had one immature visit our local wetlands 18 miles inland, doing its crazy dance.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anni.

    Boy that egret looks like it grew an extra layer of insulating feathers just for the winter you have all experienced over there.

    I'm sure it's a Savannah Sparrow even though it's a good few years since I saw them. The yellow is usually only towards the front of the supercilium?

    They always remind me of our UK Reed Bunting.

    Thanks for hosting again, and have a great week you and Bud.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anni, that's a wooly snowy egret. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful shots of all the birds. The Snowy Egret's spectacular plumage is like a beautiful gown or cloak. I have never seen either a Mourning Dove or a Savannah Sparrow, but think I would recognize them now. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving all the birds, but the perfect capture of the stalking egret is my favorite! Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are amazing photos! My favorite is the last one - so cute! :)
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the dainty Mourning Doves, I wish I could attract them to my deck feeder now that they finally showed up in my yard. The Egret looks like it is snuggled under a blanket. The other egret with wings spread out is a fantastic action shot!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sparrows are challenging to ID for sure. What a gorgeous one you found! Terrific photos all around. I had no idea Mourning Doves were rare in your area. We have way too many which I'd love to send your way.

    Thank you for hosting this great meme! Look forward to it every week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Still adore those egrets....someday I will add some of those shots to my collection! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anni...almost failed to link in this week. Been so sick all week with a bad cold. Going to the Dr. today. Glad I at least will be part of things for a couple of days! So interesting about the egret morphs, and I loved the little sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful photos, Ms. Anni.
    Love the snowy egret. So clean and fluffy!

    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful photos ... The egrets feathers look like my hair did when we got off the boat yesterday... Lotsa wind. And on the sparrow, I am just one step above identifying all of them as LBJ birds (little brown jobs), so no help in other words.

    The header shot and the collage you did above are absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents