This first series of photos is of a 'new' bird I photographed recently!! Actually it's not a new one per sé, I've seen them a few other times, but never got a decent photo for they are so very active flitting from one tree branch to another. I don't know how many times I've come up with blurred blobs of feathers or even empty branches, only to walk away without proof of siting!! It's a 'common' warbler, one of the earliest to migrate for Spring and Fall, but, rarely spotted from high in a tree. The migration path for MY area of the coast of Texas is just a skimpy part...so, I consider myself lucky this time to actually be able to record my sighting with a photo.
YELLOW THROATED WARBLER
photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat range: Yellow Throated Warbler
...around the bend on the path from the Warbler, the area opens up to a large pond and boardwalk with a few observations platforms and one elevated deck. On this very day, the Roseate Spoonbills were in abundance!! Several couples...both female and male. And the male dazzled our eyes with their wonderful, vivid, colorful orange, lavender, pink, and red breeding colors!!! I have several photos, I'll share more at a later time...they were so stunning and brilliant. Both sexes.
ROSEATTE SPOONBILL
photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat range: Roseatte Spoonbills
Doing breeding habitat research on this species -roseatte spoonbills- I found that they breed only in three states in the United States, Texas, Louisiana, and Florida. We are the privileged few. Also, reading more on the Texas Breeding Habitat, Nueces Bay is a popular area. I know exactly this spot. Altho, the last couple of weeks traveling the bay causeway, I haven't seen any activity. Along with this research, I fell 'in love' with this image of a nest with two chicks on wikipedia.
...another species I spotted in the nearby area that is coming into 'high' breeding plumage was the Little Green Heron. This heron is the American Birding Association's Bird of the Year for 2015. Normally, other than the breeding season, the heron has yellow legs and the feathers are not quite as dark in color, as seen in this post I published in November of 2013. This one, as it prowled for food was showing off its brilliant colors of breeding with a richer tone in plumage and the brilliant dark orange legs/feet:




...another species I spotted in the nearby area that is coming into 'high' breeding plumage was the Little Green Heron. This heron is the American Birding Association's Bird of the Year for 2015. Normally, other than the breeding season, the heron has yellow legs and the feathers are not quite as dark in color, as seen in this post I published in November of 2013. This one, as it prowled for food was showing off its brilliant colors of breeding with a richer tone in plumage and the brilliant dark orange legs/feet:




LITTLE GREEN HERON
photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat range: Green Heron
For the visitors here this coming weekend, I send along a Happy Easter Salutation!!!
Now, share your birding experiences:
or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:










great sightings, all in brilliant colors for the season!
ReplyDeleteThese are all stunning sightings and lovely shots Anni.I hope you have a HAPPY EASTER.
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos - I love them all - the colors are amazing.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni! Awesome sights and photos! I love the warbler! An the spoonbills! Thanks for hosting, have a great weekend! Happy Easter!
ReplyDeleteThe warblers are very pretty and I love the heron. Happy Easter, Anni!
ReplyDeleteAnni, stopping back to says thanks for linking up to my critter party..
ReplyDeleteHi Anni,
ReplyDeleteI'm that impressed with the pink spoonbills. In the Netherlands, only white spoonbills and pink I therefore feel very special but also very beautiful to see. The green heron is a beauty.
Very nice Easter weekend.
Superb Heron. Happy Easter
ReplyDeleteAnni, your pictures are divine! What awesome surprises! The little warbler is full of color and energy...I have never seen one. And the spoonbills, what glorious shots of brilliant Easter pink! Look at the beak on that Heron! He looks mad at the world and VERY sneaky! I LOVE visiting and seeing the beautiful blue and the cameo.
ReplyDeleteSuperb images. My favourite is the Little Green Heron, absolutely stunning photography.
ReplyDeleteSuperb images. My favourite is the Little Green Heron, absolutely stunning photography.
ReplyDeleteFantastic photos of these beautiful birds !!!
ReplyDeleteAnni, I wish you a Happy Easter !
Gorgeous shots.You captured the birds at the best time,breeding season and colors.
ReplyDeleteLoved all three of these wonderful birds! The warbler is lovely...the spoonbills so colorful and stunning...the green heron just gorgeous! Great photos of all three! Glad you finally had success with the warbler!
ReplyDeleteAnni, may you and your family enjoy a Happy Easter. Great warbler capture. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great spoonbill sighting! I have yet to see them in the wild. Happy Easter to you.
ReplyDeleteGood Morning Dearest Anni; I just woke up and your great photographs of BEAUTIFUL birds made me wide-awake :-) Especially, the green heron really surprised me♬♬♬ How different from the one I can see in my area; what a colorful red legs and not skinny p:-) I remember when I first saw spoonbill in friend's blog, before reading I thought one kind of flamingos have the bill like that p:-) Warbler is so lovely. Thank you very much for sharing great pictures! And Have a wonderful Happy Easter♪
ReplyDeleteSending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*
We have some pretty warblers here...yellow rumped but it really is hard to get good photos. We took photos of a flock of pine siskin this week and had to look them up. We thought at first they were warblers. I'm joining in! Thanks for the fun party! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteSpectacular bird shots!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful shots and perfectly timed!
ReplyDeleteThe spoonbills have such bright candy colors, especially the pink, like cotton candy. They are a bird that seems always to be smiling, whereas the Little Green Heron, while attractive, looks grumpy.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. Hope you are well.
ReplyDeleteYour Yellow-throated Warbler is a real stunner - such vibrant colours. Those little warblers cause me all sort of trouble too in trying to photograph them with their quick and unpredictable movements through trees and bushes.
I would really love to see those Roseate Spoonbills. The idea of pink birds is quite anew one to me.
Love your Green Heron shots too. I imagine that they might be difficult to spot if they skulk around in waterside vegetation like that you show.
Thanks for the birding links and have a great week ahead.
Nothing quite like finally 'capturing' the critter! Splendid shots.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. Three gorgeous species on show this week.
ReplyDeleteI'd dearly love to see a Yellow-throated Warbler again ... only got very brief views the first and only time some years ago.
Oh my - GREAT captures!! Very beautiful birds, one and all.
ReplyDeleteYou got some great shots and I really love that 3rd one of the spoonbills.
ReplyDeleteThe Yellow-throated Warblers are so beautiful, and their song is loud and distinctive. I see them more often in the fall in South Florida, but hope to find them again this spring in Illinois.
ReplyDeletean awesome group of critters....the night heron images are exceptional!!!
ReplyDeleteand isn't it so fun to spot a bird one has never seen before?? it's always such a thrill!!!
I saw the yellow-throat 2 weeks ago. No luck on shots. You truly got some great ones! Congrats.
ReplyDeleteIncredible birdlife Anni and your photos are also incredible! A little late signing up but got there :) Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteThese photos are impressive ~ I'd be thrilled to see just one of these birds! I'll have to check if the yellow throated warbler lives around here. It's beautiful. Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate it.
ReplyDeleteI think the Spoonbills are beautiful.
ReplyDeletewow, I love the images of the spoonbill. Don´t think I´ve seen their head so clearly before. Love it :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful .... That place is exactly where we saw our first Roseates! I could not believe my eyes, as I'd never even heard of them back then. I still love them, but the first time is always best ;))))!
ReplyDeleteThese are wonderful shots, Anni! I am loving the Spoonbills- these are the second ones I have seen this morning, I would love to see them in person.
ReplyDelete