I'll begin with the 'madness'...the reason I titled the post the way I did. Doesn't this one look grumpy? Mad?



CATTLE EGRET
photos taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
...then, there is the Madness of the March Winds when the tree branches are swaying and the feathers on the crest are blown off kilter---



NORTHERN CARDINAL
photos taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
...the mad sense of survival and beating the daylights out of the noggin'. One photo of this seemed blurred on the head, but I then realized it was a 'mad' action shot of the determination of beating its brains out foraging for insects. [I know the bird has a special brain protection tho.]




RED SHAFTED FLICKER


CATTLE EGRET
photos taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
...then, there is the Madness of the March Winds when the tree branches are swaying and the feathers on the crest are blown off kilter---



NORTHERN CARDINAL
photos taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
...the mad sense of survival and beating the daylights out of the noggin'. One photo of this seemed blurred on the head, but I then realized it was a 'mad' action shot of the determination of beating its brains out foraging for insects. [I know the bird has a special brain protection tho.]




photos taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
Now, share your birding experiences:
or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Oh my gosh, you're right. That Egret does look like he's having a bad day. There's Grumpy Cat, and now Grumpy Bird. (This bird deserves to be immortalized forever through it's own Disney cartoon or something. His face has lots of character). I love that last photo, too.
ReplyDeleteLove the Cattle Egret. If only I could get near enough to take such great shots. And I always like to see the Cardinal. Just a great post all round.
ReplyDeleteI like your kind of March madness way better than that other kind! So glad you are better. Thanks for hosting.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, wonderful birds and photos.. I love the egret and the flicker.. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteHi Anni - Beautiful photos. So glad you're getting out and about. Haven't seen you stop by my blog lately. Hope I haven't lost you as a follower. I especially enjoyed seeing the Cardinal and Cattle Egret. We had a couple Cattle Egrets pass through here a few years ago. Maybe I'll have to post them one of these days! Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteFunny title. The cattle egret does look like a big grump. It's amazing how far they can stretch when they want to.
ReplyDeletegreat shots, anni! love the mad egret and the flicker shots. :)
ReplyDeleteAmazing shots. The Egret does not look happy.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous photos, Anni! Have a lovely weekend.
ReplyDeleteWonderful birds and photos !! The cardinals are my favorite birds !
ReplyDeleteNice to see these beautiful red bird !
Anni, have a lovely weekend :)
HI Anni Yes the Egret sure looks grumpty but great shots of him adn the other birds. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteGreat pics. I especially like that woodpecker.
ReplyDeleteGood Morning Dearest Anni; You gave me a morning smile with at first glance of the grumpy egret:-) Wonderful photos of great birds♬♬♬ OH, your explanation of the flicker is really interesting and my husband and I both thought 'oh, got it!', haha. We are having breakfast now :-) I thought about wood peckers. I DO wish I could see these beautiful birds.
ReplyDeleteSending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*
I forgot to say
DeleteWE both saw the picture of the link and my husband asked me the meaning.
I LOVE your new blog design and the way you refreshing it♡♡♡
SUPER pictures of the Egret! Yes, he looks MAD! And for some reason, he reminds me of Groucho. Maybe because he is all hunched up. Wonderful flicker shots!!! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE your beautiful blue cameo theme!
ReplyDeleteGreat bright images. Beautiful birds and exactly angled! Take care!
ReplyDeletethe flickers are a favorite of mine, they come and go here.....and it's much more going than coming!!! and i always feel bad for those cardinals, they do need a little hair gel!!!!!
ReplyDelete(thanks, anni! i was just going to try and i saw my name already there! :))
ReplyDeletelol, great capture of their moods :)
ReplyDeleteGreat captures, Anni! Love the ruffled crown of the cardinal. I can't imagine that they like getting blown about any more than we do. Here's to a calmer April :)
ReplyDeleteHi Anni.
ReplyDeleteI think you're right, that Cattle Egret does look a little grumpy. It sounds like we are all suffering from a mad March at the moment. We've just had 24+ hours of rain and wind which has stopped me from birding so I'm definitely grumpy.
Mind you my better half says I get grumpy anyway and I don't need bad weather to make me that way. Cheek!
Hope you are making a good steady recovery now. And Take It Easy.
Love your grumpy egret and the flicker. I did not realize that you had Red-shafted Flickers in your area. I lived in Dallas for over 20 years and saw only Yellow-shafted the year round. I also thought you did not get flickers breeding there and that this might be a wiinter visitor or migrant.Our eastern variety male has a black mustache and red in the back of his head rather than on the mustache. Interesting and beautiful birds! Keep healing and thanks!
ReplyDeleteHe does look grumpy!
ReplyDeleteThose are beautiful birds! I've noticed that cardinals look grumpy sometimes.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni! Haven't been blogging much as you can tell, but you've been on my mind. Hope you are doing well. You got some amazing shots of the Flicker!! And that Cattle Egret does look a little perturbed. I'll return later this afternoon to get caught up with you. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteLove this post - the wild haired cardinal looks like so many of those crazy basketball fans and yes the egret does look mad but such a lovely bird none the less.
ReplyDeleteWe have just had some really bad storms here, but our Blackbirds nest held tight and the 4 eggs were still there when I checked tonight. I have only seen a cattle egret once and I would love to see your other birds.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like March madness is even getting birds ruffled up! lol Love your post.
ReplyDeleteI like these mad shots.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos! You post is perfectly titled!
ReplyDeleteCute post! Great photos! I'll be back this Saturday, btw.
ReplyDeleteAwesome these pictures of the cattle egret, the woodpecker and the cardinal. All birds that I have never seen myself,. Wonderful to see them here. I was late with my link so I hope this then link next Saturday.
ReplyDeleteGreetings
OK, Mom & I have managed to confuse you and possibly others so I thought I better straighten things out. :-) First of all, thanks for your great comments on the book club. Mom got on Google+ and we got to talking about how my Google+ was connected to the blogs, only my YouTube and I got to fiddling around with it and made a few changes. I think at that point my photo got changed. It also shows me as Linda M. Carmean which is my first name (But I go by Marie, my middle name, and everyone knows me as Marie). I'm sure you saw the Linda and the new pic and thought I must be her sister, but nope it's me, Marie, her daughter. She also goes by her middle name (you'll notice on her book, she is listed as Willie Latane) I'm sorry we got everyone all muddled up! :-) Hope you are doing better every day! Have a Blessed, sweet Easter!
ReplyDeleteGreat set of pictures - the Flicker is wonderful. In an attempt to actually see some woodpeckers (we have none in Australia) I am awaiting the delivery of a world guide to Woodpeckers! My wife says we are going to have to build an extension for my library - she may have a point!
ReplyDeleteCheers - Stewart M - Melbourne