Along the shoulder of the road, a hawk posed for me!!

BROAD WINGED HAWK
I believe it's immature by the way it was fumbling while hunting.
photo taken: County Road 6 Chapman Ranch - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: hawk
Last Saturday morning, the air was hot and very humid. After a severe flooding at the beginning of the week, we hadn't seen too many birds out and about. And, at such an early hour, just before daybreak, we didn't expect many on this morning. We took to the county roads towards Chapman Ranch area [south of Corpus Christi]. Mainly 'cause it was a weekend, and we didn't want to deal with any heavy traffic on the island since there was a Beach to Bay Marathon scheduled for the only highway along the coast. The first two county roads were paved. The adjacent fields were still flooded in some spots from the rain on Monday. We turned off the road and headed onto a caliche farm road. In some spots the road was swamped but we got through to the dead end and this was posted [photo above].




HUDSONIAN GODWIT
photos taken: County Road 6 - Chapman Ranch, Corpus Christi Texas
habitat map: godwit

COMMON NIGHTHAWK
photos taken: Chapman Ranch - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: nighthawk
Ending my walking along the road, Bud got my attention and pointed upward toward the power pole...

CRESTED CARACARA
photo taken: Chapman Ranch - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: caracara

GLOSSY IBIS
photo taken: Chapman Ranch - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: ibis
...back in the comfort of the car, the air conditioner was full blast and we headed back to the city! I was totally a happy birder finding a 'new' species after years of searching....the Hudsonian Godwit.
Now, share your birding experiences:
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

BROAD WINGED HAWK
I believe it's immature by the way it was fumbling while hunting.
photo taken: County Road 6 Chapman Ranch - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: hawk
Last Saturday morning, the air was hot and very humid. After a severe flooding at the beginning of the week, we hadn't seen too many birds out and about. And, at such an early hour, just before daybreak, we didn't expect many on this morning. We took to the county roads towards Chapman Ranch area [south of Corpus Christi]. Mainly 'cause it was a weekend, and we didn't want to deal with any heavy traffic on the island since there was a Beach to Bay Marathon scheduled for the only highway along the coast. The first two county roads were paved. The adjacent fields were still flooded in some spots from the rain on Monday. We turned off the road and headed onto a caliche farm road. In some spots the road was swamped but we got through to the dead end and this was posted [photo above].The farmland to the right was swampy; standing water here and there. The birdsong was pleasing to the ears. The mosquitoes were ferociously ravenous!! Still, I got out of the car and walked along the road searching the open land in hopes of spotting something. The first bird I saw was a wader...a black necked stilt. In fact several were foraging in the water-laden field. Then, I spotted a few dark moving objects and figured they were birds. I lifted my binoculars for a better view since they were quite some distance from the road....Indeed they were birds. A near rarity. And ONE species I've longed to find on our excursions over the years!!! The Hudsonian Godwit! And some were still in breeding plumage!! I took a few photos even tho they were well 'hidden' in the high grasses...



All too quickly something spooked them and they flew off to land at such a distance I would've needed my tripod and set it up. I was lazy. Didn't go back to get the stand that's in the trunk of the car. I was satisfied to have seen the elusive Godwit as it was.

HUDSONIAN GODWIT
photos taken: County Road 6 - Chapman Ranch, Corpus Christi Texas
habitat map: godwit
By this time, the humidity was getting heavier and I couldn't focus well for the fact sweat was running in my eyes. I turned back to the car where Bud was searching other areas nearby. Along the fence line between where I stopped to photograph the Godwits and the car, another bird caught my eye! Tho by all means it knew I was there, it didn't move a muscle...

COMMON NIGHTHAWK
photos taken: Chapman Ranch - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: nighthawk
Ending my walking along the road, Bud got my attention and pointed upward toward the power pole...

photo taken: Chapman Ranch - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: caracara
Just as we were getting in the car to leave, two Glossy Ibis flew into the area to have breakfast. There are three species of Ibis found in Texas. The White, seen very often, the White Faced Ibis, and then there is the Glossy Ibis. Most often in North America the Glossy Ibis is found around Florida and the Atlantic Coast; seldom seen in Texas. The two, most prevalent identifying and differentiating points with the Glossy and the White Faced...they are VERY similar... are eye color and facial markings. The Glossy Ibis has brown eyes with no eye ring, while the White Faced has red eyes surrounded by light 'white-pink' partial eye-ring...

photo taken: Chapman Ranch - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: ibis
...back in the comfort of the car, the air conditioner was full blast and we headed back to the city! I was totally a happy birder finding a 'new' species after years of searching....the Hudsonian Godwit.
Now, share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
I need to find a cooperative hawk, myself, Anni.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your Hudsonian Godwits!
~
Hello, Anni! These are all great birds and sightings. Your photo of the nighthawk is awesome. Congrats on the Hudsonian Godwit sighting. Thanks for hosting. Have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni!:) Wow! so many great captures. I also think your Nighthawk shot is awesome,..what a striking looking bird. Glad your search is over for rare Hudsonian Godwit. No need for the stand after all, with these fine shots.:)
ReplyDeleteThat godwit was an especially nice find, and great images too.Your rain problems have been in the news here in Florida. Stay safe!
ReplyDeleteWonderful captures, Anni! The cara-cara is a favorite of mine!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, wonderful birds!
ReplyDeleteI have never heard of a Caracara before now
Thanks for hosting this meme
Have a wonderful week-end!
Lea
Happy Saturday and happy long weekend to you. The photos of the Godwit are beautiful and having the hawk pose for you was nice!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on finding the godwit! These are all beautiful birds to see. Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeletethe nighthawk is awesome! have had a caracara hanging around the field this week.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, The Broad Winged Hawk is such a fascinating bird. Many here I have not set eyes on and am always grateful to you for sharing them. Your posts are always beautifully descriptive and I feel like I am actually there, right alongside you. Congratulations on spotting the Hudsonian Godwit. Your Common Nighthawk was a real treat too. It’s always lovely to look at birds I haven’t seen in my own neck of the woods when I travel. I have seen the Crested Caracara, when we were in Florida a couple of years back. I thought my eyes were deceiving me. A wonderful and extraordinary bird. I have never seen a Glossy Ibis, the other kinds that I also saw in Florida. Thank you for hosting this great meme. I am always happy to join in when I have any birds to share. Have a great weekend :)
ReplyDeleteThe nighthawk is a handsome little bird. I guess your outing was worth the blood loss!
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. The flooding was obviously an unwanted event but it brought some very interesting species into your area notably the Hudsonian Godwit and the Glossy Ibis. The Nighthawk provide a superb portrait.
ReplyDeleteAmazing! You not only saw these birds but now have the pictures to prove it.
ReplyDeleteYour persistence paid off! Congratulations.
ReplyDeleteDearest Anni; Wow, how wonderful if I could see these gorgeous birds(^_^)ï½– hawks are really handsome♪Love the caracara's white neck and orange face. I wonder how these birds with such long beak manege to eat p:-)
ReplyDeleteAlways a pleasure to have the opportunity to see rare beautiful birds fir me♬♬♬
So sorry for the 2 links, first one (I mean no.2) somehow not working. If possible, please delete it(^^;)
Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*
I reckon I'd be happy too with that tally of birds Anni. The shot of the nighthawk is just amazing. More amazing is that bird thinking it could hide in full view on the post like that, especially when you and Bud are about.
ReplyDeleteFantastic bird pictures !!
ReplyDeleteHappy weekend !
your bird photos are just plain AWESOME
ReplyDeleteAnni, great capture of the Crested Caracara. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteGreat sightings this week, so wonderful to see the godwits and caracara.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to get the Godwit in flight too! I've never seen the Caracara...how majestic they are. But in the evenings we have nighthawks swooping down along the streets when I walk. I'm always afraid they are going to 'swoop' right into ME! lol Enjoy your weekend! Thanks for the party! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeletebeautiful and quite rare birds I think. Love your photography :)
ReplyDeleteWow, new ones for me all around! I'm glad you got to see the Godwit..just wow!
ReplyDeleteWow. The birds flock to you and your camera! Another great series.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great outing you had! Lovely pictures you took for sharing! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures of these birds.
ReplyDeleteWhat is the bird world is beautiful!
I wish you a nice weekend.