Here a Monk, There a Monk...EVERYwhere a Monk Monk!!


Introduced to North America in the late 1960s by accident as legend goes.... for a while, after multiplying rapidly, they were considered invasive and some were eradicated. After decades of observation and research, they are not harming farmland, crops, etc. as once anticipated. But they ARE known to nest on power poles and break the electricity connections causing power outages in cities across America. They've then been moved and adapt well to their new environment.
I was told through the birder's grapevine a couple weeks ago about the nesting community at a local Catholic Retreat. Driving there, and blogging with photos of the church and grounds HERE, I found 'em!!! Literally hundreds!


MONK PARAKEET [wild]
photos taken: Our Lady of Corpus Christi Retreat - C C, Texas
habitat map: parakeet



Monk Parakeet Facts:
  • Monk parakeets are the only member of the parrot family to build stick nests and to nest colonially.
  • A single nest structure typically contains up to 20 nest chambers, and in extreme cases can house more than 200 nests
  • Nests can be very large (more than 5 feet across) and weigh a ton or more
  • Native to Argentina - South America




  • Read More:
    Corpus Christi Newspaper Article
    Texas's own RUM DISTILLERY Logo
    Texas Monthly Magazine Article
    Monk Parakeet Fledglings in Austin, Texas [photo]




    Now, share your birding experiences:








    For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



    or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

    19 comments:

    1. Beautiful photos and interesting information!
      Have a great week-end!
      Lea

      ReplyDelete
    2. We have a similar problem here Anni. Ring-necked Parakeets must be related to the MOnk - tey look very similar. i'm afraid they don't fit in well but they have found a niche and exploited it to the maximum.

      Good pictures of yours.

      Have a good week ahead you both.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hello Anni, I would love to see the Monk parakeets. I am glad they are not so bad after all. I have of some rare sightings here in Maryland, nothing close to me though. Great post and photos. Thanks for hosting! Have a happy weekend!

      ReplyDelete
    4. They are very beautiful !!
      Thanks for sharing your fanatstic photos !
      Have a happy weekend !

      ReplyDelete
    5. They're gorgeous birds. Enjoy your weekend, Anni.

      ReplyDelete
    6. I travel a long way in winter to see those. Now, I find out they're on our doorstep. Good catch this week!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Great shots Anni I didn't realize there were so many in the States.

      ReplyDelete
    8. 20 chambers! 200 nests!!! They live in a huge neighborhood! They look like either large parakeets or small parrots. I love that bit of blue on the edge of their wings! I guess people cannot have them as pets because they need to live in a large community of birds. It would break their hearts. He is so camouflaged in the first picture that it took me awhile to find him! My favorites are #4, where he is looking straight at you, and the next to last picture.

      ReplyDelete
    9. They are pretty! Seems odd that they can successfully be moved. What stops them from flying home?

      ReplyDelete
    10. Dearest Anni; I've never seen parakeet before, p:-) I wish I could, Dear friend. I love their colorful bodies and your pictures are wonderful♪

      Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

      ReplyDelete
    11. Still trying to wrap my brain around "up to 200 nests" together. Holy cow that's one heck of an apartment complex ;o)

      Pretty coloring on them; I'll bet their wings look neat in flight.

      ReplyDelete
    12. Wow, not birds we would see around here. Interesting reading about the monks :)

      ReplyDelete
    13. Great photos, Anni. I love seeing birds that aren't native to my area, especially exotic looking ones like this.

      ReplyDelete
    14. They're pretty and look very amusing. Glad they don't pose a threat to native species!
      ~

      ReplyDelete
    15. And they add color to our at times brown Texas landscapes. Loved lingering over these photos!

      ReplyDelete
    16. Super shots- and thanks for hosting! BTW, I love your header!

      ReplyDelete
    17. Anni, we we go to Aruba, I always look for the wild parakeets...such a treat to find them, so I know how thrilled you were!!...:)JP

      ReplyDelete

    Table of Contents