Rockport Beach Park Hatchery/Rookery Continued...


I did a book review after reading LISTENING TO A CONTINENT SING, upon reading Phil's critique of the same book. I recommend reading it. If you're interested in MY point of views on the book,
CLICK HERE




To continue the quest for the rare pelagic tern in the bay side Beach Park at Rockport, Texas, about three days later after our first unsuccessful trek there, we returned. Again, after a few hours spent in the area where the bird had been spotted, we were unlucky. [By the way, a couple hours after we returned home, the tern was spotted by another and it was posted on the TXbirds website, where and when it was located...figures!!]. Oh well, another day, another time.  But, walking the roped off nesting area that covers many many acres along the coastal park road, and viewing the rookery across the bay from an observation deck, I took hundreds of photos. The day wasn't lost...





Looking across the "Little Bay"...the rookery with Spoonbills, Reddish Egrets, Gulls, Snowy Egrets, Great Blue Herons and more Tri-colored Herons. Then, down the road from the observation deck, the nesting Black Skimmers.

As anyone walks the winding park roads, there are plenty of covered picnic areas to get out of the heat of the day. You can drive your vehicle into the park, but it is wise to carry your camera/tripod/scope and WALK. The Laughing Gulls, by the 1000s are busy, feeding and protecting their chicks...







...nearby, a way from the bay and the dry nesting grasses and sunflower patches, lies a hollow with standing water after rainfall. Here, the Royal Terns were seen. With my binoculars, I happened to spot ONE baby [still covered in newborn down] tern chick.



We decided to skip the weekend beach-goers and return again if the pelagic tern was again reported. On the following Tuesday I returned alone while Bud stayed home and helped me out with some of the much neglected domestic chores. But, again, tho I got my 10000 steps in that was instructed by my cardiologist, I found no tern.  The third time is not ALWAYS a charm!!





Now share your birding experiences:








For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

19 comments:

  1. Hello, the chicks are so adorable. Both the gulls chick and the tern chick. What a great sighting, hatchery and rookery. Wonderful photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your 4th of July weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tiny tern is really cute! It is frustrating when someone posts a photo of an unusual sighting but does not provide even a general location. Only is a good idea for nesting birds (especially raptors).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anni!:) Wonderful captures of the Terns and chicks. The newly born chick is so cute.This will be my last visit before we leave on holiday, I'm linking up but won't be able to visit anyone this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh...nothing sweeter than baby birds! You got such great photos of these little fuzzy chicks. My post shows...what happens before! heehee! Enjoy your holiday weekend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the images of the terns and all kind of chicks :)

    Thanks for hosting

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chicks are so cute. Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen fluffy beach babies of any shore bird. How fun. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post, love those little chicks. You took more great shots of these wonderful birds. Thank you Anni and thank you for hosting this super meme. Happy 4th to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good eye to catch the chick! Splendid photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The baby is my favorite. And just look at those orange feet and beak!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tho you did not get a shot of the elusive Pelagic Tern, you sure did see a lot of other great birds and chicks! How cool to have a rookery nearby! I have so much to learn... I will have to see if we have such a thing around here! What a fabulous variety of birds! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest Anni; The colorful Black Skimmers are SO fascinating♡♡♡ And the little birds are ADORABLE♪ I ï½—ish you will have a Wonderful 4th of July!

    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too bad you missed the tern Anni. But hey, don’t worry. “If you see everything there’s nothing left to see” is my philosophy.

    Looks like you had a good time anyway with those Spoonbills, Gulls,Egrets and Great Blue Herons, not to mention the Tri-coloured Herons.

    Good to see all those Laughing Gull chicks. It is a real nice gull I saw in Mexico.

    I agree with you about those QR codes, a little intrusive on the text whereby I found myself reading a chapter and then accessing songs and calls through my PC. Yes, it was a good read and I was interested to see how you know many of those places so well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you may not have seen your target bird but the birds you photographed are brilliant. Love see the new chicks with their parents and i would dearly love to see a skimmer in the flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely shots, Anni!

    To every season there is a Pelagic Tern...someday!

    P.S. I forgot to link yesterday, remembered in the middle of the night, lol.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anni, what splendid birds. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anni, you were so fortunate to be persistent...it paid off!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  18. This time I have no contribution but I find really very beautiful birds in your blog! I enjoyed it again :-)

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents