At Refugio Texas there is a small park just as you drive into the town from Corpus Christi. I was there on a very rainy morning - when I arrived I had the park all to myself. But, the early hour I left home it was just before daybreak...but as I headed north on the interstate, the sky turned an ominous black...threatening rain. Well, it RAINED!! So heavily I couldn't see the front of my car. Should I stop and go back home? Or, should I drive through this mess and see what lies ahead? I kept going. The storm mass was huge [tornadoes in Houston and heavy, heavy rains in Corpus...I was in the middle of it all]. You can read about the adventure here if you'd like 'AFTER THE STORM'. It finally turned out okay, the highways started to dry up and the trip was once again 'safe'.
Of course since it rained so much before I arrived, there wasn't much bird activity. I saw Chipping Sparrows, Cardinals, Kinglets, one Wilson's Warbler, a few blackbirds [both male and female]. And ONE LARGE Diamond Back Watersnake [photos are on my personal blog link I just shared above if you care to see that creepy snake!!] But, not the one bird I was hoping to see...the Barred Owl. [of all the owls, the Barred Owl is my favorite].
At one area off the beaten path that meanders along the Mission River, there is a bird blind fencing that by standing nearby you can see down the run-off gully where the kingfisher resides. In fact the lookout is called Green Kingfisher Point. Before leaving for the day I watched one for quite a while...




GREEN KINGFISHER
photos taken: Lion's Shelly Park - Refugio, Texas
habitat map: Kingfisher
Other birds seen that day at the park:


NORTHERN CARDINALS - CHIPPING SPARROW
habitat map: Cardinals - Sparrow


EASTERN PHOEBE - GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER
habitat map: Phoebe - Woodpecker


REDWINGED BLACKBIRDS [females] - WILSON'S WARBLER
habitat map: Blackbird - Warbler

RUBY CROWNED KINGLET [female]
habitat map: Kinglet
Now, share your birding experiences:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
That is one beautiful kingfisher! I have seen it only a couple of times in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. I've never been to "Re-fury-oh" as you Texans (and me ex-Texan) say. Mexia and Bexar are a couple of other places that trip up the newcomers.
ReplyDeleteOf course, the beautiful Kingfisher is the star of the day But I also love the sweet angle you shot the Ruby Crowned Kinglet at. Wow, you are very BRAVE!
ReplyDeleteAll your bird photos are great, but the Kingfisher is really fantastically wonderful!
ReplyDeleteThat Kingfisher reminds me of a hummingbird in these photos! And I love the pose of the Kinglet...looks like he's barely hanging on! Enjoy your day. I went to a State Park today and had a ball. I'm pooped now though! lol Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds !! I love your fantastic photos !!
ReplyDeleteHappy weekend !
Love all the Kingfishers, beautiful and interesting birds. We have one of them rarely in Sweden but I have never seen it. :(
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, great collection of birds. Love the kingfisher, I saw that one in Panama or Costa Rica. Great photos. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteThose are great kingfisher pictures!
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. Your perseverance paid off big time with that Green Kingfisher and the list of birds you saw. It looks like someone knew exactly where to place that broken branch. Was it you by any chance? I don't know abouta hummer but that Green Kingfisher looks very much like the Belted Kingfisher I see on many blogs.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the chance to join in today Anni. Have fun week ahead.
Fabulous Kingfisher shots! And I love the view of the Ruby Crowned Kinglet. Great grouping of photos! I haven't seen many birds in the yard lately, and plan to put out some seed and suet today and see if I can remedy that!
ReplyDeletedon't you just love when patience pays off, the kingfisher is gorgeous!! it's so nice to see all the amazing details in these beautiful close-ups!! it was a good day - you saw some real beauties!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh I have not ever seen a Green Kingfisher, only the Belted. Beautiful bird and you were able to get amazingly close images as well. As soon as one see me around here, you hear their delightful voice almost laughing at me as they fly away. What a grueling driving experience though.
ReplyDeleteOne time I was on a birding adventure myself and I got into some slick rains with temperatures in the 40's between limestone walls. I was going under the speed limit trying to stay on my side, when a gush of water simply moved my Lincoln Towncar right over into the other lane. My heart was racing. I was so thankful that no one was coming. If that was happening today, I would have turned back, I am a chicken now.
Glad that you were safe, and got these delightful shares.
Thank you for everything~
International Kingfisher week is going well I see - what great birds!
ReplyDeleteCheers - Stewart M - Melbourne