Nueces Bay Birds...


One morning, early, I drove to Nueces Bay. Crossing the Ship Channel via the Harbor Bridge, I stopped at Indian Point Park. After checking out the bay near the parking lot, I walked first to the observation deck, seeing, Willets, Tri-colored Herons, Snowy Egrets, Cormorants, Redheaded Ducks, and Seagulls. Along with this treasure...



BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON
photos taken: Indian Point Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Heron

I then walked over to the rock outcropping that juts out into the bay a short distance and saw Turnstones, more Willets and Seagulls along with one lone loon. Which made me think "I'd best go out on the long pier and see if I can find MORE loons." Before climbing the steps I stopped to watch a few Brown Pelicans...most were still 'sleeping' on the outcroppings near the pier's steps. Once on the pier, I noticed the area was literally 'swimming' with Common Loons!! Dozens!! Most at a far distance where I'd just see small shadows popping up from beneath the water surface, others close by. And some even closer; dining on raw oysters!!





COMMON LOON
photos taken: Indian Point Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Loon

As I stood and watched the loons, a female Red Breasted Merganser surfaced...



RED BREASTED MERGAMSER [female]
photos taken: Indian Point Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: Merganser



As time slipped away, I climbed back in the car and drove a short distance east from Indian Point and walked the trail that divides the sea with Sunset Lakes in Portland, Texas. As I drove out of the 1st park and merged onto the freeway, I stopped and photographed some Roseate Spoonbills near the exit ramp. I was facing into the light so the images aren't too sharp...



While I stopped to watch them from a distance, in the car, all too soon, something spooked them and they took off to the tidal ponds near the bay...



ROSEATE SPOONBILL
photos taken: Sunset Lakes - Portland, Texas
habitat map: Spoonbill





Now share your birding experiences:









For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

16 comments:

  1. Oh my, oh my! What a wonderful post to wake up to while I drink my coffee! I have never seen this Heron. In fact, the first picture looks like a headless bird! Because you can't see any face, just a very thin bill. But he has the heron pose, slumped over stalking. I love the loon who is kind or reared up, like a speedboat getting up speed. You have some real treasures among the spoonbills. I have never seen a Spoonbill with his beak open! He must be giving a warning cry. What kind of sound do they make anyway? And such a GORGEOUS takeoff picture! With water droplets splashing around their long legs and the sun on their wings. And then we have the Merganser, they look so comical! Kind of like the goofy neighbor. A splendid post today with pictures to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spoonbills are such beautiful birds, in any light! It's been a while since I have seen a loon and have never gotten a photo of one. You have a gorgeous set of them. Just had a pair of Red-breasted Mergansers in our local wetlands but they were so far away that they are barely recognizable in my shots. Thanks for hosting us and sorry I missed you last week-- things are finally settling down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Roseate Spoonbills are still one of my favorite birds here too! I remember the first time we saw them in the wild. It was like...DID you see THAT? Turn the CAR around! heehee! Enjoy your weekend! (can't wait for you to visit and see the photo I took...that I'm proud of! heehee) hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved to see the Loons. This is a species that sometimes passes by on their way up north. But I rarely see any. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos!
    Love the Loons!
    Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fine pictures! I think my favorite is the Red Breasted Merganser.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots of the Loons and also the beautiful Spoonbills. They are so pretty in pink. Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You dropped real lucky there Anni, finding so many loons having breakfast. Of course my wife says all birders are "loons", but then over here loons are called "divers". I think I prefer loons for both. That's us.

    Shame about the light against you on the roseates as they are such gorgeous birds. It's really annoying when that happens but there's no alternative route around the other way. Our geese are good at doing that - feeding into the light. I'm sure thay do it on purpose.

    Have fun this week and thanks for the birding join up again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Anni, what great photos! I must read more about Roseate Spoonbills. Such an amazing colour... and your photos are lovely.
    My birds are the usual "boring" ones, but I'm so very happy that now we start to have more light again and one can try to photograph birds. :)
    Have a happy Sunday and a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to see spoonbills. Wonderful photos. I'm looking forward to the return of different species of birds as the weather gets warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had as nice a place to see birds. We have to drive quite a distance to get to wetlands. I am fascinated by Roseate Spoonbills. Would love to see one in person one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anni, nice collection. Thanks for sharin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful birds in this post!
    I enjoy here, therefore, very much. Amazing so beautiful!
    I think I'm late with my link.

    Greetings Helma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh to be able to see Loons as you have my sweet friend. They are such graceful looking birds, and I believe that I may have seen Mergansers before, but it has been a long while for them too. They are so stunning! You have shared such beauty once again. The Spoonbills remain on my list to one day get to see, but in the meantime you have brought them beautifully to share in this post. Have a wonderful week~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dearest Anni; COMMON LOON is really cute; I smiled the way its winds are lovely swinging♫♫♫ I checked male RED BREASTED MERGAMSER with pc ;-) I'm sure you must have taken pictures and posted. Spoonbill always attracts me and the scene of "flying bird" fascinates me. That's one of the reason I thank blogging (Opened my eyes) ♡♡♡
    So sorry for my belated comment and Wishing you a happy new week♪

    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful photos...they are so sharp and clear. I finally thought to link to this....I just hope I get to visit at least a few of the others.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents