Misty Morning Birding...


On a dark, gloomy, misty morning last week, I ventured out and drove to Indian Point/Sunset Lakes parks on North Bay at the outskirts of Corpus Christi midway to Portland, Texas. Tho not many birds were seen; most of the tidal pools were uninhabited on this day.   I grabbed my umbrella and walked some. A couple of  photos on this post were taken from the car window as I drove out of the park to head back home over the bridge.  The first photo is looking out toward the Port Ship Channel and fishing pier in the park area.




As "scene" over the bay:


Harbor Bridge thru the mist


USS Lexington [WWII aircraft carrier that is now a naval museum]

...then, along the trails:


LAUGHING GULL
habitat map:  Gull


WILLET [consuming an oyster]
habitat map:  Willet


SNOWY EGRET [with breeding colors on legs & bill]
habitat map:  Egret


REDDISH EGRET [white morph]
habitat map:  Egret


GREAT BLUE HERON
habitat map:  Heron



....while continued mist fell, the winds picked up and many water birds went for a more sheltered area, out of the wind, in the brush along the pathway.


SNOWY EGRETS & GREAT EGRETS
habitat maps:  S. Egret and G. Egret


BLACK NECKED STILTS
habitat map:  Stilts



Now share your birding experiences:










For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful heron and egret images. The stilt is also so graceful. I have yet never seen a white morph Reddish Egret. It is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how all these birds are so perfect in monochrome/black and white -- without altering the photos / All so beautiful.

    Thank you for giving us this chance to share and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the water birds are so interesting. Really enjoyed the photo of the Willet eating the oyster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anni, cool captures of the ship. The birds are wonderful, love the herons and egrets. Thanks for hosting. Have a happy Memorial Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anni!:) Beautiful Laughing Gull shot, and Heron and Egret images. That's a fun capture of the Willet eating the large oyster,... and I love those heavy mist shots. Have a great weekend and thank you for hosting.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Scene over the bay looked like a spaceship had landed in Texas from outerspace! You may be the only one that got a photo of it too! heehee! LOVE your variety of Egrets! They are favorites here too! Happy holiday weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful large birds today! Those black & white stilts are impressive. And your fog pictures are moody and beautiful. It looks like the Willet is eating the oyster, shell and all!! Your great blue and white heron shots are gorgeous! Especially seeing those very long feathers on the great blue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sometimes mist and a grey day is very good for photograpky. Love the images of the reddish egret and great blue heron. Perfect shots to show their colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy seeing your photos, especially the shore birds (Willets and Stilts) that we do not see here.
    Hope you are having a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Anni,
    These are beautiful pictures.
    Especially the silver heron is amazing.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do admire the way go out in all weathers Anni. That misty dull morning would put most birders off; and I wouldn't dream of going birding with a brolly. How surprising that a Willet would tackle a whole oyster. Seems like the Willet is a lot bigger than I thought.

    Thanks for the chance to join in today. Hope the weather improves for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Birding in those wet, misty conditions can be a challenge but as always you grabbed some glorious shots.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anni, striking Heron. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anni .. Thanks for your lovely comments on the Night Heron. I guess you may have to go 'night' birding to hear the croaking!

    P.S. I hope you don't mind me linking up another post on my main blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always love seeing your amazing birds. How lucky you are to live in the area you are in! Such beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such exceptional images Anni, these are all terrific. I would never be able to even think about choosing a favorite. I am so not into knowing the colours of birds when in breeding mode, or even out ;) I find those who do, so wise. I was listening to the songbirds on a walk the other day and if someone had said I will give you a thousand dollars to name those bird, or even that bird, I would have lost unless it was the half dozen, or so that i recognize. Thank you for all that you do. PS Absolutely LOVE the look of your blog right bow, gorgeous!!!Hugs~

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents