National Seashore Birds


For a couple of days this past week, we had a dry air mass come in! With less humidity. And it was half-way comfortable. Still warm temperatures, but not suffocating with a heat index at the century mark. It's warming up again, but the mornings are comfortable for now.   I'm sure the humidity will begin to build up again before Summer's over.

I drove one morning to Padre Island National Seashore [Federal Park], mostly to walk along the beach. I really didn't expect to see many birds other than the usual seagulls. I saw a few of them, and a few others:


SANDERLING
photo taken:  Padre Island NationalSeashore
habitat map:  Sanderling


One of my favorite birds to see, always, is the Semi-Palmated Plover.  They are so cute!!!



PIPING PLOVER
photos taken:  Padre Island National Seashore
habitat map:  Plover


WILLET
photo taken:  Padre Island National Seashore
habitat map: Willet


LAUGHING GULL
photo taken:  Padre Island National Seashore
habitat map:  Gull

I finished walking my 4.5 miles and drove off the beach, back onto the park highway...I decided to turn off the main road and direct the car to Bird Basin in the Laguna Madre area of the reserve. In the Spring this can be a hot spot for two plovers that are uncommon...the snowy plover and piping plover. [All Plovers are a protected species - I'm not sure if it's a national protection law or just this parkland]  I parked, got out and began walking the mudflats [dried out from lack of rain]. I saw three plovers on the flats, flitting along the ground to escape my invasion...two adults and what I believe to be an immature. These plovers are uncommon in our area also. The tell-tale ID mark is the dull gray-pink legs and feet, and thick, black bill. The Wilson's Plover:


The last photo of this series, I'm thinking this smaller is the immature.  The photo really doesn't show the size difference.  And the lighter, larger one is the female.  Perhaps the mama?  The  male is in the 2nd to last image in the series...front

WILSON'S PLOVER
photos taken:  Bird Basin PINS
habitat map:  Plover



Other birds seen nearby and across the Lagoon that morning:


LONG BILLED CURLEW
photos taken:  Bird Basin PINS
habitat map:  Curlew


REDDISH EGRET [white morph]
photo taken:  Bird Basin PINS
habitat map:  Egret


ROYAL TERN
photo taken:  Bird Basin PINS
habitat map:  Tern









For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below
and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

15 comments:

  1. Love those plovers. While the Wilson's are the color of wet sand as are Semiplamated, the smaller ones are the color of dry sand-- Piping Plovers! The beach is a great place-- it has been a while since I have seen a curlew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The piping & snowy have an incomplete neck band also. And usually have a distinct spot on the forehead.

      Delete
    2. Sorry-- I was referring to the first plover in photos 2-5 which does have a forehead spot and very bright legs. The Atlantic coastal Piping Plovers tend to be paler and most have incomplete chest bands but the Gulf and interior ones often have complete breast band, especially males.

      Delete
    3. Gotcha...will go change it right now!! Thanks for the input. Upon closer inspection, the feet are not partially webbed either.

      Delete
  2. Shorebirds are so photographic with the pretty backgrounds. I love them all! Glad you could get out. It cooled enough for a hike today here too. Humid though! lol Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shorebird photos. A few nice reflection shots, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you see so many great birds...I would love to see one of those Long Billed Curlew...Curlew....isn't that a fabulous name.

    Over on my Pics& Pieces blog, there is a post that you will enjoy...it is old...not asking for a comment...just everyone that ever read it enjoyed....not my writing...Go Here. I would suggest right clicking and click open in a new tab or screen. It will be bigger till you can read it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anni, I do love the cute Plovers. They are all adorable birds. I would like to see the Wilson's Plover. Great photos. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Curlew is fabulous! Another favorite is the cute Plover admiring his reflection in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Anni,
    Nice series of photos of the plovers.
    We have just had a super heat wave, with temperatures above 35 degrees here, and in the south of the country above 40 degrees.
    I just went on vacation to Sicily, but it wasn't as hot there as here.
    Best regards Irma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that long billed curlew really does have a long bill, amazing. Love the shots with the water reflections. Our temperatures have been around 40C and insects and birds have all taken cover. Some very welcome rain yesterday has cooled things down a bit.
    Thanks for hosting, have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a lovely selection of birds today Anni. The Plover family is one of my favourite group of birds, some of which we share with North America. But we don't have Wilson's, Piping or the Semi P, so it's good for me to see those. Enjoyed your words and pictures today. have a great week ahead and thanks for the link-up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love all your water fowl fotos today. we like to sit and watch the them all wading and flying and diving and fishing at the beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anni, like just about everyone, the Plovers are my favorite beach bird when I head to RI to hang with my daughter. Your photos make them come alive!!!...:)jp

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents