Behind the Spanish Dagger, Hidden....


This past week, one day, I drove to the islands to do a bit of birding. I've actually changed my title passion from bird watcher to bird chaser! It seems lately, that's all I've been doing. The weather is much more Autumn like in South Texas. 60s in the early morning hours. NICE!! Anyway, I stopped at Leonabelle Birding Center. There was some water fowl on the lake, and a few early migrants along the path TO the lake. But, the migrants were warblers, and I couldn't catch a break...or a bird for that matter, in my camera frame. They were VERY flitty. The lake was rather quiet at that hour too. So, I walked across the street from Leonabelle's to the area that at times of the rainy season, is filled with shallow water...this week, it was mudflats. I walked onto the flats from the road and went behind the hills and tall grasses to other hidden ponds. Gulls and a few stilts were seen. As I turned to head back to the Birding Center, not seen at first behind all the Spanish Dagger plants...that's when I spied about 50-75 White Ibis hidden from the road's view! Among them were [each are linked to their habitat map] grackles, yellowlegs, stilts, snowy egrets, great egrets, and one lone Reddish Egret and one solitary Spoonbill. I snapped some images thru the viewfinder then set the camera on video recorder...










For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:



Linking Tool is now closed for the week

14 comments:

  1. What a lucky turn you took to find that vista! Yes, the warblers are so hard to identify as they weave through the foliage. I am often torn between trying to get a photo (which I can examine in leisure) or put the binoculars on the bird, perhaps losing a photo op.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sighting! I have never seen photos of a group of Ibis! didn't even know they hang out in flocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful pictures, Anni, and also that video.... phenomenal!! I think my favorite picture is the "flying away" one. Their wings.... definition of beauty itself. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anni,
    Looks like you found a great spot and the jackpot filled with birds. The Reddish Egret is a great bird, i do not see them often. Love the Ibis and Spoonbills. Great photos. Thanks for hosting. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One Spoonbill? How amazing! It's my favorite bird and I would love to see one...or more! heehee! Enjoy your weekend. It's better weather here this week, finally!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know there was a reddish (pink to my eyes) egret! What a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Anni,:=) So pleased you decided to go to the mudflats and other ponds and discover all these lovely birds. Ibis, Spoonbills and egrets I can see in the south of Portugal, but not here in the north, so I really enjoyed looking at your finds, and I love the ones of the birds in flight. :=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What fun that must have been...I enjoyed the video!

      Delete
  8. What a veritable haul you got in the end. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my favorite shot today is the butt shot of the heron. awesome photos, love the only little spoonbill in the ibis patch.. great video, they are having such a great time. we have had a flock like this in our front yard many times and once they all went up in the pine tree and shocked me, had no idea they would sit in trees. i love pelicans because they are ugly but to me ibis is ugly with no redeeming cuteness... they are still amazing. they make a lot of noise while hunting in our yard, not loud, just funny sounds each time they peck. and yes, they are feeders, not houses. i changed it. i created this 6 weeks ago while in my brain fog. that is my excuse and i am sticking by it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great little video. That is one busy Group of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the video and your photographs.
    That was a large group of birds.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the help with my ids this week! I updated my blog to say thank you! I really appreciate it. I usually expect to see something I've seen before. It's neat when I find out I've seen something out of the ordinary! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents