The Day of the Duck!!


This past week has been a phenomenal experience for birding! I've seen and photographed four 'rare' birds for South Texas. Finally, seeing the reported ebird birds in our vicinity!! The Iceland Gull, the Glaucous Gull, the Little Gull, a more common Bonaparte's Gull, and the fourth time around to the islands finally paid off....I spotted the elusive Harlequin Duck!! Three times previously, no luck. Altho, this last time I vowed I'd walk the entire distance of the ship channel's jetty to find 'em. On my way back after getting to the end of the jetty [link to my blog showing what I had to climb over to get there!! Am I crazy?] where the channel water meets the sea, I spied them on a mossy knoll, sunning! I had the opportunity to get a few photos before they dropped down into the gulf waters and swam away.
Spring has arrived. The temps are warming up nicely, and I noticed that some of the bird population is now 'coming into' breeding plumage! My favorites to see are the Roseate Spoonbill [so colorful!] and the Brown Pelican. Without any further chit-chat, I will share a few this week, and conclude next week if I can. I will begin by sharing two of the more common residents of the coastal bend seen on the Day of the Duck...


WILLET
Habitat map: Willet


BROWN PELICAN
Habitat map: Pelican


BONAPARTE'S GULL
Habitat map: Gull



LITTLE GULL
[smallest gull in the world]
Habitat map: Gull

...and the elusive duo!



HARLEQUIN DUCK [two females]
Habitat map: Duck


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:


Linking tool is now closed.

14 comments:

  1. Ahhhh...the little Gull is so precious! I can't wait to go back out to the Gulf soon and see what we can see. It changes so much from week to week. Glad you were brave enough to get so many neat photos. Well done! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if i have ever seen a Harlequin I don't remember it. they are truly beautiful. you know I love pelicans and he is a handsome dude. I also love the willets. so happy you could get out and find your birds. we are 86 right now and I got in the pool today, water is still 75 but i could stand it for a few minutes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anni,

    Congrats on all your great sightings of the rare birds. We used to see the Harlequins every winter, now they are harder to find. The Little Gull is cute. Wonderful photos of all the birds. Thank you for hosting. Have a happy day and a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, thank you so much for identifying my Bufflehead!! I thought it might be one, but just wasn't sure enough to post the name. And I could not see his face! Now I think I will return today and try to spot him again. I love your St. Pat's blog look! Especially the Irish Gnome. What a find! Have you never seen a Harlequin before? I sure have not. Your other photos are beautiful as well. what a fun day that was!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The birds are all beautiful! I want to think and look up the Little gull to see how small it is. So, you were very blessed to see the H. Duck according to the map.

    I cannot think if I have ask you or not...have you seen any of the youtube videos of the Stellar's Sea Eagle being spotted here in the U.S. The main video I watched it was in Maine, but had been spotted in Texas and some other state. I forget where at. The one video I saw seemed to think it was the same one. Imagine running across it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you really had a great week. Finding so many rare and beautiful ones. The HARLEQUIN DUCK and the Little gull. I did not even know there wa one duck that small. A great selection this week. I only have a tree creper for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Harlequin Duck is guaranteed to put a smile on any birder's face.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos! I especially like the pelican.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had a brill week there Ammi. I've always longed to see a Harlequin Duck and although we get Little Gulls, we don't see too many. And Bonaprte's is always on the remote card list when looking through our many millions of Black-headed Gulls.

    Enjoy your Sunday - relax. And thanks for the link this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Anni, :=) Another great post, and I'm so pleased that you saw so many rare birds. I can sense your excitement at seeing them. I admire your tenacity, climbing over the jetty to get pictures of the rare Harlequin duck for example. A lovely bird of which I had no previous knowledge. Through blogging I have discovered that Birders are an intrepid lot, and will go to great lengths to see and capture birds on camera. Well done! I loved all your images.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning photos! Especially the brown pelican <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. All these photos are stunning. I enjoyed reading this post while looking at all the beautiful birds. Gulls are super cute.
    Thanks & have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finally you have captured a pair of the female Harlequins and the images are wonderful! (Every time I hear the word 'duck' I think of a childhood game "Duck! Duck! You're Mother's a GOOSE!")

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh these are so wonderful! I'm linking over to see how hard you worked to get these beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents