Plover -












BLACK BELLIED PLOVER
photos taken [from top to bottom]:  top: Natural Wildlife Refuge - Port Aransas Texas, bottom 3: Oso Bay, Corpus Christi Texas
Habitat Range in the Americas:



Measurements
Both Sexes

Length
11–11.4 in
28–29 cm
Wingspan
23.2–23.6 in
59–60 cm
Weight
5.6–9.8 oz
160–277 g


INTERESTING FACT: The Black-bellied Plover is the only American plover that has a hind toe on its foot. The hind toe, however, is so small that it is difficult to see in the field.









28 comments:

  1. Anni, great shots of the Black Bellied Plover. They are pretty birds. Thanks for hosting, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Eileen. I'm always elated when I see one of these.

      Delete
  2. Nice pictures you show of some beautiful wading birds.
    Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shots!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a unique bird, and exquisite photography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...golly, you make me blush!! Thanks Esther, for the positive feedback today.

      Delete
  5. The Plover is a very pretty bird. I enjoy your bird photos so much, being able to see the coastal birds and learn the different breeds. They are so different from the birds found here.
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and there are a LOT of them around here in every size, shape, and form!!!

      Delete
  6. Great photos of the Black-bellied Plover in breeding plumage. This bird really had me confused until I realized it is the same bird that we in the southern hemisphere call the Grey Plover! Here in Australia we usually see it in non-breeding plumage when all that smart looking black has gone. I have only once seen them with black down the front and that was a few days after they had arrived and before they had had a chance to change their plumage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, then....glad I could share them with you. I have found that we have different names for the same species from other parts of the world.

      Delete
  7. this is such a gorgeous bird. I love the times when I see them. That´s not often as they only are passing by. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we have them year 'round. Tho, these images are quite different when they're not in breeding plumage as they are in the photos here.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful series of the Black-bellied Plover. Also loved the cormorant conducting in full formal dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice shots of this pretty little shorebird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, they are pretty!! I hafta agree with you on that aspect.

      Delete
  10. What an interesting looking bird.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful post Anni... beautiful images and many thanks for all the info about these lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the positive feedback Andrew!!!

      Delete
  12. A great set of shots Anni. Over here the same species is called Grey Plover, probably because we only see them in winter when they lose most of that rich plumage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I wouldn't be able to tell the Plover if it isn't in full breeding garb. LOL

      Delete
  13. I am a little late Anni but when I saw your post here I wanted to join in. Just not too sure on my dates for your meme yet, sorry! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Denise....you can come anytime to add a link between Saturday [noon] and the following Friday for each week.

      Delete

Table of Contents