...the elusive one


As I peruse my collection of bird books and reading online of a particular species, there was one specific bird I have been hoping to see; to spot one when we're walking some of the bird trails along fresh water going out to the bays around town. For months, but with absolutely no luck,  disappointed I've been, several times, until just recently...











... tho it resembles, in a few instances, the Cormorant, it is NOT of the same family or genus. There are numerous subtle differences of course, but some that are quite visible upon further viewing. For instance....this bird's beak [bill] is totally different...a long pointed beak while the Cormorant's is shorter, wider, and hooked at the tip. Their feet are different also, if you're lucky enough to see the feet---this bird's feet are webbed and yellow while the Cormorants have black webbed feet. Also, the plumage...while the Cormorant's feathers are a dull brown to near black, this bird has dark, nearly a blue black body feathers that are dotted AND striped with white. Their necks, very long and "S" shaped most times [sometimes stretched out in full length], the male has much darker, nearly black necks, while the females have a dull gray-brown. At breeding, the eyes have blue rings around them. Again, they are not Cormorants, but ANHINGA [pronounced ann- HING -gah] The 'HING' rhymes with ring or sing.

With further reading, I learned that they, if not feeling threatened by their environment, will return to the same area often. So, hoping to capture their wings outstretched to show the wings' patterns, we returned the following morning in hopes they'd still be in the vicinity. At first, as we rounded the boardwalk observing area, no sign of them. We walked to the end and watched the pelicans, stilts, sandpipers, egrets, and sea gulls for some time. We then, turned back to head for the car and stopped where we saw them the previous morning, and they were out once again ---as luck would have it, the patterned, striped wings fully opened; drying off.........













ANHINGA
photos taken:  Hans Suter Birding Refuge and Park - Corpus Christi Texas
Habitat Range in the Americas:













50 comments:

  1. great sightings and shots of these guys! i think i've only seen one here and never got any photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I consider myself lucky to be there at the right time.

      Delete
  2. Nice pictures you show of a beautiful bird that may resemble the cormorant.
    Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anni, happy Weekend! Great post and photos on the Anhinga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a great weekend too Eileen...thanks for taking time to leave a comment.

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous sighting of the anhinga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad to know you enjoyed this post for the weekend.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful images of a favourite of mine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...your favorite? They ARE dazzling, aren't they?

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for letting me know about your meme. Your pictures are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm glad you were able to join in this weekend.

      Delete
  7. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful shots.

    Visiting from Camera Critters. Crows is my entry this week. Hope you'd come and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Rose. Altho I didn't find your CC photo, I did view your family's birthday celebrations...what fun.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful bird. Nice color pattern on it body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, the pattern on the wings is awesome to see.

      Delete
  10. Very cool sighting! Love the shots. Exciting to find rare to find birds....but that's why I love the challenge:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh, you and me both! I love the challenge, tho sometimes my patience wears mighty thin. LOL

      Delete
  11. I love the pattern on this bird. I love seeing the birds in flight and spreading theor wings so that we see their full color and patterns. Nice capture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, I was hoping against hope to find one with its wings open, and yet, that day, I spotted two!!

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful bird! Lucky you to get this photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, and I also enjoyed viewing your coming to the rescue of the furry one...that was so heart warming.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on your sighting and photos! Nice shots! We don't have them here, although we do have cormorants and they do look very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very impressive! Nice shots of this bird...and great eye to spot the differences! I would have just said cormorant - they do the same thing with their wings too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there are so many different birds here, I need to notice the differences or they all get confused with others. [I've seen white pelicans and herons do this display also]

      Delete
  15. Hi Anni and nice shots of the "snake bird" which I believe is a name used in Africa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, I've read about it being call "Snake Bird" before because of the long neck sticking out of the water as they swim.

      Delete
  16. Congrats! What a find. They are beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How funny...I posted a Cormorant today ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I LOVED your special contribution...the Cormorants are definitely becoming a favorite of mine.

      Delete
  18. I am in awe ... what a beautiful and what an exciting catch. I did't realize that the Anhinga were seen in the US, so I learned something new. I am sure I will never have the opportunity to see one, so I will live my joy vicariously through you. Thank you ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Andrea, glad you enjoyed the photos. I've read that down here they're quite 'abundant' during the Fall and early Winter months...so I was so pleased to see this couple.

      Delete
  19. Wonderful captures. Anni, thanks for the invitation :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What beautiful shots. We don't see them here.
    Thanks for inviting me to join in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you stopped in to share your photos.

      Delete
  21. Beautiful images of the Anhinga, Anni. I have noticed that the tail feathers are rippled-- I wonder what sort of adaptation this represents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ken...I must say I wouldn't know just what the 'rippled' tail feathers signify. Remember, I still a novice at this birdin' hobby.

      Delete
  22. Beautiful photographs, nature it is the most wonderful painter in the world. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, nature IS the best painting in the world.

      Delete
  23. A wonderful series!
    I was admiring the pattern of the feathers in each shot - regal looking I though.
    So glad you captured the wingspan. Your persistence in looking for these bird really paid off.

    I wasn't aware of your meme till I saw a comment you'd left on a blog this morning. I'm going to join you as well.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents