A Transient of Texas PART II


...so, from Paradise Pond we hopped in the car and drove just a few short blocks [about 1/2 mile away] to Leonabelle Nature Reserve. This area is filled with park benches before you reach the open water way in the wooded area just off the parking lot, then walking further into the area of water and high reed grasses and wooden bird perches strategically placed out in the water, there is one large observation deck along the above water boardwalk. This particular day, we saw only a couple of brown pelicans, pied-billed ducks, and a few cormorants. The area was very quiet for any bird activity...but then again, at the time we were there, there were 5 other bird watchers on the upper level of the observation deck that were VERY noisy. To me, that is all kinds of wrong. But, what can I say?!! We walked the entire boardwalk and climbed to the first level of the observation platform with not much spotted. Before we left, the other birders had left only to be found at the park bench area where many different species of warblers, cardinals, mockingbirds and others frequent. Bud and I stopped and sat on the bench, only observing...while the five chatted away, way too loudly!! We left for the third and last area all too quickly. Not fun when those others don't respect the protocol of birding. Back in the car, we headed to the newest birding area in the coastal town of Port Aransas. About three or four miles along the coastal highway. This is a quiet open field with several watering spots, along with raised wooden walkways throughout the field passing over the water....to get to another large three story observation deck with 360 degree views of the entire span of land. Open fields, watering areas, trees, and grasses abound. Not too many people know about this area yet, and it's usually filled with quite a bit of activity. This day it was quiet and becoming hot with no shaded areas along the pathway. But we did spot some birds at a distance....two even greeted us as we approached the 2nd boardwalk over the water....an egret to the left, and a white reddish egret [morphing plumage]. Above and far beyond the path, in the barren trees, we spotted two birds together....two different species. A loggerhead shrike and an American Kestrel[sparrow hawk]. In between the wooden bridges, throughout the pasture land, some cute birds were keeping us company. Also, in the ponds we saw ducks, black-necked stilts and a few willets.

At first glance, tho, of the two in the tree, I stopped and aimed the camera with the zoom fully extended [several yards away] to make sure I got 'em recorded by photo before they flew off with out oncoming presence.






LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE & AMERICAN KESTREL
photos taken: Charlie's Pasture New Reserve - Port Aransas, Texas


...then, as we continued to walk, the loggerhead soon disappeared, but the kestrel flew from one tree top to another, all giving me more opportunities to zoom in on it.



LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE

photo taken: Charlie's Pasture New Reserve - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range in the Americas:







AMERICAN KESTREL
NOTE: American Kestrel is also known by the name Sparrow Hawk
photo taken: Charlie's Pasture New Reserve - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range in the Americas:












31 comments:

  1. awesome photos as usual, especially the kestrel

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shrike and the kestrel seem to be unlikely "buddies," as they compete with each other for food such as grasshoppers and small vertebrates, including birds. Looks as if the falcon "flinched" first! Very nice shots! Am away from my blogging computer, so I hope you don't mind me posting a photo I took yesterday next to our home in south Florida-- a female redstart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...not at all....all photos, no matter where they're posted are fine by me. I love viewing birds.

      Delete
  3. Hi Anni, Looks like Port Aransas is a great place to do some birding. Great photos of the Loggerhead Shrike and the Kestrel. I've never seen a Shrike before. Gorgeous birds, both of them.

    Have a great weekend/week.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful images and information Anni...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is odd to see a Kestrel and Shrike together? They are both cool birds. Great shots. I would like to do some birding in Texas some day. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Texas is one great state for Birding, that I've come to realize.

      Delete
  6. I just love to see the Kestrel. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they're so cute sitting so close together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I was lucky that the shrike stayed long enough for me to capture them together.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you have some great places for birding and getting a little exercise too. Your photos are great. I always enjoy seeing birds that I can't see in my area. I love how you were able to capture the Kestrel's eyes. I like being able to see the bird's eyes as well as their beautiful plumage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Kestrel is one of my favouties. Love your shots. We have shrikes, but I rarely see them. And they are not as dark as yours.

    I see you have redecorated. Looks good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, you're the only one to mention the 'new look'.

      Delete
  10. Kestrels are such delicate looking birds...they are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I loved that he allowed us to follow him along the trail from tree to tree.

      Delete
  11. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice shots, sounds like a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're nothing spectacular, but still all in all great spots to 'spot' a bird or two.

      Delete
  13. Good to see the size comparison Anni and to realise how tiny the Kestrel is. Agree with you about birding protocol and I think I would have been tempted to chat to those noisy birders and enquire how they expected to see birds if they themselves didn't display any field craft?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to spout out my thoughts to them...believe me. But, I with-held my words and just thought, they may not be here next time.

      Delete
  14. By the way thanks for hosing "Id Rather B Birdin"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you're welcome....it's bloggers like you and all the others that share a great interest in photographing birds.

      Delete
  15. ...glad you liked the photos this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really cool seeing the Loggerhead Shrike and American Kestrel in the same tree Anni! You got some nice close ups of the Kestrel too! By the way, you inadvertently placed a Broad-winged Hawk map where you want the American Kestrel range map. Unfortunately, some folks don't understand that you get to see more birds if you are quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...omgoodness...thanks Larry, I've now changed it. You're the only one to notice my error. LOL

      Delete

Table of Contents