When there is no hope, dare to find some...



JUVENILE NIGHT HERON [yellow crowned]
photo taken: Oso Bay - Hans Suter Nature Preserve - Corpus Christi, Texas


JUVENILE SNOWY EGRET
photo taken: Charlie's Pasture Nature Reserve - Port Aransas, Texas


JUVENILE NIGHT HERON [black crowned]
photo taken: Lakeview Park - Corpus Christi, Texas


JUVENILE NIGHT HERON [yellow crowned]
photo taken: Oso Bay - Hans Suter Nature Preserve - Corpus Christi, Texas


JUVENILE NIGHT HERON [black crowned]
photo taken: Lakeview Park - Corpus Christi, Texas




Trying to ID these young'uns [especially the herons] is a challenge. I think the distinction is the color of the iris. Am I right? The juvenile yellow crowned has RED/orange iris and the juvenile black crowned has yellow iris? Both have the pale green legs and the spotted brown wing with dappled/stripes on the chest. I do believe the black crowned is turning to its gray plumage quite soon. If not, please correct me. Now the egret is blurred, for that I apologize...it was fun to watch it....its mom was several yards away hunting for food....while the youngster was frantically wobbling back and forth along the banks of the small island .... tho it kept silent until mom returned with lunch.... then, a short ruckus 'til fed.

note:  The third photo from top has one turtle and last photo also has two turtles, can you spot them?










connecting to:
Wild Bird Wednesday [link on sidebar]

19 comments:

  1. i can vouch for the red-eye of the juvie yellow-crowned as we had some of those here. haven't seen the black-crowned, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shots! I've never seen a Yellow-crowned Night Heron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos makes this a great WBW post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos. I love watching the herons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a cool post. I ask myself those questions as well. I believe you are correct on the eye ID as I just had to do the same on the juvi night heron. Your shots are exciting. Do you use a scope?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really love that Night Heron. Awesome looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting to see all the juveniles. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great sighting of the Night herons. They are cool birds! I enjoyed your post and photos, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Herons are great birds - although I think ours may be less challenging to ID than these!

    Thanks for linking to WBW

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a neat post Anni. They are really beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so beautiful birds Anni. Happy Wednesday!

    Visiting from Water World Wednesday
    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos! And green legs, yes they have, I didn't see that first!
    Greetings Pia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Immer wieder so schöne Vögel bei dir, das gefällt mir sehr.

    LG Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. super bird shots....love seeing the detailed feathering....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't it interesting, all the tiny details available to identify birds?

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents