True hope is swift, and flies with swallow's wings...














BARN SWALLOW
photos taken: Hans Suter Nature Preserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
[Oso Bay birding observation trail]



I took several photos of this 'action', but will share a few now, and maybe more at a later time...The Barn Swallow is a summer resident here in the Coastal Bend, Texas. Way back in June of this past summer, while walking out to the observation deck on Oso Bay, there is this Palo Verde tree that is bordering the boardwalk along the way out to the water---it happened to have several wasp nests [that I shared photos of on my personal blog...HERE]. The hatching of the wasps attracted the swallows. This one particular day, there were several swallows that were flying high above, and then there were others that gave me the opportunity of getting up close and personal as they perched on the railing of the walkway. And a few weeks later, after the nests had all but emptied out...so did the swallows. According to wikipedia: The Barn Swallow has an enormous range, with an estimated global extent of 51.7 million square kilometers (19.96 million square miles) and a population of 190 million individuals. That's a whole lotta barn swallows. I felt privileged just seeing a dozen at one time. LOL My husband, Bud, who is a Navy guy, told me this story....kinda a 'fad' thing of yesteryear with the seamen...they'd get a swallow tattoo as a symbol of a safe return on their many voyages. It was more or less a tradition that a sailor had a tattoo of a swallow after sailing 5,000 nautical miles at sea. When I see swallows flitting overhead, no matter when, I always think of the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano Mission in California. And they did on schedule -- long long long ago; when I was a youngster-at my age, I remember it as quite 'scary'. It's my understanding that the area is so urbanized now that the swallows have taken it upon themselves to return elsewhere along the California coast. Now, being decades older, I appreciate their beauty and stamina. Note: Blog Post Title is a Shakespearean quote. [King Richard III]












29 comments:

  1. they are such cute birds, even if they get rather aggressive in protecting their nesting sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been near a nesting site, so I wouldn't know.

      Delete
  2. The swallows have left our area now. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful captures of these swallows! They're really pretty birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great close ups!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very good photos, lovely close-ups!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic images of the swallows.... sadly gone from my patch for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty bird. Love the shape of the wings and tail. Looks like it was snack time! Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Swallow portraits Anni and some brilliant stats there. As you say, so many of them and a species shared by many countries.I'd never heard the tale about sailors until now but knew there was some connection there. Thanks for sharing this and also for hosting the gallery links.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such pretty swallows Anni. Your photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was lucky enough to have them 'feeding' nearby at the wasp nest just a few feet away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that first shot with the bee- great timing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these swallows! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks!!! Positive feedback is always appreciated.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful shots of the Barn Swallows Anni! The immature birds have the tan colored gape like the one with the wasp in its beak. There must have been some Barn Swallow nests nearby.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents