East meets South Texas...









EASTERN PHOEBE
photo taken: Blucher Park - Downtown Corpus Christi, Texas
[the two in the middle that look like nighttime photos, aren't actually, it's just the dense tree cover]
Habitat Range Map:

from wikipedia: This species appears remarkably big-headed, especially if it puffs up the small crest. Its plumage is gray-brown above. It has a white throat, dirty gray breast and buffish underparts which become whiter during the breeding season. Two indistinct buff bars are present on each wing. Its lack of an eye ring and wingbars, and its all dark bill distinguish it from other North American tyrant flycatchers, and it pumps its tail up and down like other phoebes when perching on a branch. The Eastern Phoebe's call is a sharp chip, and the song, from which it gets its name, is fee-bee.






TRI-COLORED HERON
[formerly known as Louisiana Heron]
photo taken: Hans Suter Preserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:



The tri-colored heron is the only heron with a white breast. The contrast, for me, makes it all the more beautiful. But, this particular heron did not want to cooperate and show me its front side. While viewing some of the shore birds at Oso Bay, this tri-colored flew above me and landed in the feeder canal. All three images are of the same bird on that day. Below, is a photo taken back in August of a Tri-colored, on the other side of the bay near the Texas A&M Birding Trail.


connecting to:
Wild Bird Wednesday [link on sidebar]



25 comments:

  1. i wish the tri-colors would go a bit further north. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, especially that tri coloured heron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of those birds look great, we don;t get them over here. from Findlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well then, glad I shared some photos of birds you don't see in any given day in your area!!

      Delete
  4. Great photos and interesting birds - the heron with its back to you has such beautiful plumage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your heron shots are my favorites! I've just never been able to get a shot.
    Great capture of the heron with the fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another excellent collection of birds. Would love to see the Tri Colored Heron:)

      Delete
    2. I must admit, I think herons are so photogenic!!!

      Delete
    3. ...thanks Carletta and Rohrerbot.

      Delete
  6. What a pretty heron! I thought that looked like an Eastern Phoebe. The only one I've seen built a nest on my daughter's porch light. Cute little bird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liebe Anni,

    wieder einmal zeigst du herrliche Vögel hier und in meinem Blog hatte ich vor ein paar Tagen auch meine Vögel...aber heimische Vögel gezeigt.

    Liebe Grüße zu dir von Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the visit and taking time to leave a comment 'Tilda

      Delete
  8. Great shots! I love the heron shots too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. ...I went back a couple days later, and finally got its 'front side'...finally!!!

      Delete
  10. Your bird portraits are marvelous Annie....thanks so much. I miss Port A!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sallie. I too like Port A [except for the lack of a larger city's amenities, I'd live there in a heartbeat.]

      Delete
  11. Hi there - nice shots of the heron - I really do need to try to get a heron with a fish!!

    Thanks for linking to WBW. I was in Oman all last week, hence the slow reply!

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herons most of the time are like non-animated. So, I'm very pleased when they are active around me and my camera. LOL

      Delete
  12. Very nice all of them.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents