We went to a new area [new to us but it's been around for a year or two now] this week. Also, we walked the hilly area outside the northwest part of the city at West Guth Park where I spotted a lone, young cormorant at the park's pond. Trying to get over to Port Aransas at least a couple times a month to check on the birding in that area, we stopped at Paradise Pond, Leonabelle Nature Preserve and the newest section of Charlie's Pasture Naturewalk. Also, before heading to Charlie's, we drove out toward the beach and the ships' channel that heads into Corpus Christi's North Bay and Harbor, the port....we stopped at the Wetlands Learning Center, where they have a small area set aside for birding and the natural habitats of the coastal bend. I took some photos and published a bit about the ARK [Animal Rehabilitation Keep] on my personal blog today if you'd like to see a photo of an injured hawk 'on the mend', and some of the interior part of the science involved...click here. The winter migration opens up a whole bunch of newer possible areas within a short drive from home, which we will explore in the very near future. Speaking of newer areas where we will go, I'm excited to learn that another phase of a learning center/park with a birding trail and observation deck will begin in OUR city. Proposed to be completed by this time next year. By what I've read, it will be a 'state of the art' area for all nature enthusiasts.
And if you ever do go to birding areas, you've probably come across the blackboard near a birding trail's kiosk. The blackboard is a way of showing/telling other birders which species have been spotted on a certain date...
GREAT BLUE HERON [stalking dragonflies!]
photo taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
YOUNG CORMORANT [notice the beautiful aqua green-colored eye!]
Altho, I'm still learning the 'techniques' of ID'ing different bird species of a certain family, I'm certain of this: Double-crested Cormorants have green eyes - this one, still cloaked in muted tans, is young. Eventually, as it ages, it will be near black in color.
photo taken: West Guth Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
EASTERN PHOEBE
photo taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE
photo taken: Charlie's Pasture Nature Preserve - Port Arnasas, Texas
BROWN PELICAN
photo taken: Wetlands Learning Center - Port Aransas, Texas
REDHEAD DUCK
photo taken: Hans Suter Nature Preserve Oso Bay - Corpus Christi, Texas
COOPER'S HAWK [or Merlin Falcon?]
photo taken: Across the street from our house...neighbor's tree
[of all the times we have gone hawk watching at the renowned area about 25 miles from home, we then spot a hawk in a TREE just outside our house!! Go figure.]
Speaking of ID'ing birds...I'm having much difficulty deciphering the differences in my mind among two hawks...if anyone has any 'special' brain tools to use to tell the differences between the Sharp Shinned and the Cooper's Hawk...please...help me out. They're so similar. Distinguishing between Cooper's Hawk and Sharp Shinned Hawk








Great photos! Love the reflection in the photo of the GBH!
ReplyDeleteThanks Dawn...and I'm happy to have you add your link to your beautiful 'blue on blue'!!!
Deletereally jealous on the redhead sighting and the shrike, too. very nice!
ReplyDeleteHa!! You don't know how many times I've been envious of your bird photos!!! Thanks for the positive feedback.
DeleteNice captures. I love the Pelican!
ReplyDeleteI really like it when I spot one of the brown pelicans with a prominent 'white' head. Some have it, some don't. Thanks Pat.
DeleteNice idea with the blackboard Anni. I love that cormorant shot - it looks like it's just had a very large meal and is taking a rest for the digestive system.
ReplyDelete...pretty healthy looking it was. Altho, around here there is plenty of food stuffs.
DeleteYour photos are so enchanting! Love the young cormorant especially - the pose and that incredible eye colour!
ReplyDeleteI know....I too love the eye color!!!
DeleteAnni thanks for getting me here and for visiting my site, I'm going to add you to my blogs to follow so I can keep up!
ReplyDelete...thanks for taking me up on the invitation!!!
DeleteI like the heron shot (one of my favorites)! The Redhead ducks and the hawk are gorgeous! Nice photos!
ReplyDelete...thanks Brian. Coming from you as I know your photography skills, that is truly a compliment!!!
DeleteAwesome birds, Anni! I would love to see the Shrike, it is a cool bird and an awesome sighting. The heron shot is beautiful, love the reflection! Thanks for hosting and I wish you a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteThanks Eileen....I like its reflection too.
DeleteWe know the Cooper's hawk all too well. Here's a link to help with ID:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/accipiterIDtable.htm
What unusual green eyes on the cormorant.
...thanks for the link!!
DeleteBeautiful collection of bird photos here, Anni. I especially enjoyed the Great Blue's reflection and the striking Redheaded duck.
ReplyDeleteMy thanks for hosting :)
Thanks Pam...for the comment and linking up this week. I really liked your anhinga photos.
DeleteIt is wonderful that you have so many great places to bird in the "Birding Capitol" of the USA! Very nice photos. My impression of the hawk is that it looks more like a falcon-- a Merlin, as it has a weak facial stripe and its body is shaped more oblong than cylindrical with proportionately larger head than an accipiter. However I am not an expert in these matters and have been so wrong so many times.
ReplyDeleteWell, comparing photos of the merlin online, I can see the close resemblance....I always thought the merlin falcon was much 'grayer' than this that I saw in the tree. You could be very right in this Ken. Thanks.
DeleteHi Anni, Isn't it fun to find some new spots to explore and look for new and different birds??? I'm sure you really enjoyed that!!!!! Great photos... Can't help you with the hawks.... Wish I could!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove that Loggerhead Shrike... Beautiful little bird.
Hugs,
Betsy
Yes it is a pretty bird, and their song is quite delightful also.
DeleteYour photos are gorgeous!
ReplyDelete(Thanks for the invite, and I have bookmarked your site for the future!)
...thanks. Hope to see you stop by again when time allows.
DeleteGreat shots of all the birds Anni! I especially like the juvie Cormorant. You gave an excellent link for differences between the Coop and the Sharpie. One other tell tale sign I discovered at a hawk watch a couple of months ago is that in flight, the Sharpie doesn't lose altitude between wing flaps and therefore flies straight, the Cooper's Hawk, being a heavier bird, loses altitude between wing beats and therefore has a slight dip in its flight path.
ReplyDeletethat will be quite helpful....IF I ever see either of the two in flight. So far, only perched hawks have been spotted by me.
DeleteI love all the photos Anni, and just to let you know I finally linked up. So sorry to be late.
ReplyDelete...you're not all that late dear Denise. Loved your bird post this week.
DeleteThe Spoonbill and the Coopers Hawk are my all time favorites.
ReplyDelete